Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

ORBX airports

Hello all,

A small gripe here so please bear with me.

Has anyone noticed the HUGE number of Australian Airports ORBX have released for P3Dv4.

NONE, not effin one, I can't help thinking that they are chasing the almighty dollar when they are releasing new sceneries and have not yet upgraded already released 

stuff. 

I must admit to feeling left out and a little stupid.  When PDv4 was released, I purchased my FIRST Orbx products (FTX Global and the Australian Airports. This was a considered purchase given the ORBX promise for free upgrades. HMMMM my bad I guess. I have not even installed FTX Global  which HAS been upgraded. I only fly in Australia and Indonesia (which every scenery developer has ignored for P3Dv4) so all the other ORBX stuff is largely irrelevant to and for me, 

I just want OZ.

I feel much better now that that is off my scrawny chest LOL

Cheers everybody

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Bills511,

Thanks mate,

A cuppla things.

1. I was going by the information supplied on the official ORBX website and none of the Australian airports are yet ported to v4.

2. I would only go with officially released to v4 products (I have enough computer problems without introducing untried programmes.

3. From what I have read and gleaned from this and other forums, the Fly Tampa version is not as good as the VOZ 1.8 version. 

All these comments are beside the point though, as I was specifically speaking of ORBX products and then only generalising about the lack of other devs in the OZ/Indonesian scenery areas.

I would also like to point out that it really was just a whinge.  It is entirely my choice to fly in the areas I do fly in.  I cannot blame anyone for that and that was never my intention.  I very much rue the fact that there is not a huge market for Australian scenery in any of the Sim Platforms but again I could find many benefits by flying in other areas.  My choice entirely, to fly where I do.

I do thank you though for your research, particularly, if you do not choose to fly Oceania yourself. 

Thanks again mate

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

16 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

1. I was going by the information supplied on the official ORBX website and none of the Australian airports are yet ported to v4.

All of the seven Orbx AU freeware airports have been updated and work in P3DV4.

It's frustrating for sure though as I only fly in Oceania myself too. Nothing xenophobic about it it just that I started with Orbx years ago when they did AU only and then it just became a financial decision to stop somewhere.

19 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

3. From what I have read and gleaned from this and other forums, the Fly Tampa version is not as good as the VOZ 1.8 version.

Isn't Voz 1.8 for FS9?. Hard to believe it could be better than Fly Tampa.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

10 minutes ago, gboz said:

Isn't Voz 1.8 for FS9?. Hard to believe it could be better than Fly Tampa.

Maybe Tony is thinking of another YSSY release (can't remember who it was by but I do remember it was freeware) and confusing it with FlyTampa's superb rendition of Kingsford Smith?

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Hey guys,

I apologise,

FlyTampa Sydney vs VOZ 1.8 is most definitely  FS2004 (I was not daydreaming ... I was asleep LOL)

I have not tried Fly Tampa Sydney for P3Dv4 but I have to admit that I have heard nothing but praise for the FSX/P3D Fly Tampa stuff. VOZ apparently does a better job of YSSY in FS2004.

GBOZ, where does it say the oz airports have been released for P3Dv4.  I just left the site again (twice today) and they still only say P3Dv3.

I genuinely hope you are right.

Sorry for the confjusion guys

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

2 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

NONE, not effin one, I can't help thinking that they are chasing the almighty dollar when they are releasing new sceneries and have not yet upgraded already released stuff

Hi Tony,

Note that most of the Australian Airports by ORBX are all pretty much older releases and in some cases the developer that made them may have moved on to other things and not developing anymore, and one of the guys has passed away unfortunately. ORBX doesn't move airports onto other developers when this happens as it is considered a project by the original developer or team...etc. This would be the reason why not much is happening with some of the older stuff.

When you look at each airport they do have the developers name on it and they pay that developer for it, and they don't pass it onto others, if that person isn't working on things at the moment then nothing is happening with it. Hope this helps to explain things

Cheers

Matthew Kane

Mathew, 

I do, unfortunately, understand all of that. I am just a little depressed that i have purchased sceneries and airports that I will likely never use because I bought them for a specific platform and was led to believe that they would be upgraded and, FOR FREE. Yay, I thought. If nothing further happens with these Ozzie airports, regardless of reasons, I will, I suppose, have to live with that.  

If these products are not going to be upgraded, I think you can guess the approximate date and hour I will buy my next ORBX product.  Sounds harsh, but in reality, I live with the hope that all will soon happen.

Cheers again 

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Why not just try the airports in V4, I've had ORBX YBBN, YBCS, YMAV, YMEN, and YMML working fine in V4 for almost 2 months now. 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Dave_YVR,

I will bite ... why VR? LOL

As I said before mate, I am somewhat loathe to try experimenting with products that are not proven v4 compatible. The reason for that is primarily because I have never had a REAL flight in P3D. I have not played with it any any way really and I do not want to complicate it unnecessarily.

I do appreciate what you are saying and if I follow up with this, I will be having many questions to pose. I am not at all sure that I am ready for the (self inflicted) ridicule. I gfuess that I simply want everything to install smoothly as I do not know where to go if I have any problems.  I have to tell you though, that I am sorely tempted to install and be damned. I can always reinstall P3Dv4 I guess.

I can, I think, experiment and find my way round FS2004 reasonably well and in fact, manage to help some people out sometimes. P3Dv4 is very different and I am old and nervous. I hope that makes sense to you.

I will keep you all posted if I do make this attempt.

Cheers and thanks

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

4 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

GBOZ, where does it say the oz airports have been released for P3Dv4.  I just left the site again (twice today) and they still only say P3Dv3.

https://orbxdirect.com/freeware

Down near the bottom. All are P3DV4,3,2,1, FSX, FSXSE compatible.

Edit: You have to log in to your Orbx Direct and add them to your account.
They will then show in FTX Central.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

GBOZ

That is fantastic, I will try download and install tomorrow.

Thanks for that informationm.

Cheers

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

It’s only the object flow module that’s in a beta opt in. You need the module to run the airports. There appears to be no more issues with it and I believe it’s almost ready for full release. 

To be honest, I have had zero issues with it. 

Hello all,

Update,

I have just received an email from Richard in Support. 

He has said that they are working on P3Dv4 airport compatibility and hope to have them available soon. I logged into the installer and I am now downloading (very slowly) a library update. I have no idea just what that is but is apparently quite a big update.

I am still sorely tempted to install but I do not want to wreck anything and I may be well bettrer suited to wait until guaranteed compatibility.

Unfortunately, as previously stated, I do not have many clues with P3Dv4 at all.

At this stage, I have only loaded the Acdemic P3Dv4 and  Dreamteam GSX.

Next on the list is PTA , FSUIPC, and a couple of aircraft. On the aircraft list is

the Carenado Phenom300 with Navdata and GTN750, particularly if updated with the new G1000 showcased in the new 172 ... very much torn between PMDG and IFly 737 (I have the Ifly FS2004 and just love it so it therefore has the advantage of familiarity ... my baby pictured below) and I want the TDFI 717 and/or the FSLabs 320.

That should keep me happy for a cuppla days lol

Cheers

Tony

F69x1NT.jpg

Tony Chilcott.

Hello all,

I think I may have just made my first mistake with this install.

I downloaded the update (two days) but I put it into a sub-folder named ORBX in my IDM download folder.  This was done because I have/had no idea what the update was. Initial download never took place because of the incompatibility factor,

I have just opened it and there are just over 40 zipped files in there. 

Do I now unzip them to, or just copy and paste them to a new folder (?) in P3Dv4. I am asking this because there appear to be NO install instructions at all and I am well and truly befuddled.

Can some one please tell me what to do with them now (be nice please LOL) and where to put them?. Because they are supposedly not compatible, what special precautions do I need to follow?

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.