Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

ORBX airports

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

I downloaded the update (two days) but I put it into a sub-folder named ORBX in my IDM download folder.  This was done because I have/had no idea what the update was. Initial download never took place because of the incompatibility factor,

What update are you talking about here?

All Orbx downolads should now be done with FTXCentral3 only if you want things to be as easy as possible.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

gboz,

I wish I knew mate.

I went to FTX Central... Logged in and it told me just below the log in space, that I had updates.  Given that it was my first visit to FTX and I had never downloaded anything from that site before, my first thought was that it may have been the v4 airports. 

I jumped in and two days later I have the forty odd zip files with no instructions on what to do with them or what they were. 

I now suspect that they are the original purchases just downloaded for the first time. Even so, I still have no idea of what they are or what I dfo with em.

Hang on ... just had a thought ... I will unzip the first one locally and see what I can find out.  I will get back to you ASAP

Cheers

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

gboz,

Well, that was a big help to me .... I extracted the first zipfile into a new folder. I opened that folder to find 154 more zip files. I extracted the first of those and it gave me a document type of file that I cannot open.

Can yhou make any sense of it?

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

7 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

gboz,

Well, that was a big help to me .... I extracted the first zipfile into a new folder. I opened that folder to find 154 more zip files. I extracted the first of those and it gave me a document type of file that I cannot open.

Can yhou make any sense of it?

Tony

I think the problem might of been IDM intercepting the download. Orbx downloads should only happen within FTX Central. They will then download and install automatically. I would delete all those zip files, turn off IDM and try re-downloading.

You definitely have FTX Central 3 and not the older FTX Central 2?

gb

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

gboz,

This is definitely NOT an IDM problem. 

I clicked on the FTX link on the ORBX site and I installed the installer. I downloaded it to sub folder newly created in MY IDM download folder  I did this because I did not (still don't) know what it was.

There were no download instructions nor any information that i could see, which would indicate what it was. Not even a hint on where it should be downloaded/installed to.

I find this too strange and confusing to be normal for a big company like ORBX and would prefer to believe that I have done something wrong or stupid. I just do not know what it is.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Hi Tony,

You might be better served on ORBX forum - FTX downloads are invisible to the user - normally you just click install and you get a progress bar letting you know your request has been added to the queue and how much is left to download - the actual install is automatic - there are no files to handle...

It does sound like something is intercepting the files if you see downloaded files...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Scott,

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. 

I was and still am, confused because it asked me where to install it.  I did not know what it was and did not want to corrupt P3Dv4 with something unwanted. That is why I downloaded it into the folder as explained.

I think the solution here is to download it again and let it do its thing.if that is possible. Now that it has downloaded there will be nought in the queue for download. 

It may be a very clear and simple process for those who know what they are doing, but the aged and feeble like mineself create some incredible problems through sheer ignorance. This really could have been avoided with a simple explanation before download, but I blame me not ORBX.

Just for interest sake, where does this process download to? Does it create its own ORBX folder or place it somewhere into an existing v4 folder?

Thanks guys for all your replies and help. No doubt I will be screaming again as I go under for the third time LOL

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Hi Tony,

More than happy to try and help - as an IT guy for more than 25 years - I'm used to working through a myriad of problems with users of varying skill levels... No worries whatsoever...

Could we have our wires crossed and your still trying to download and install "FTX Central 3" ??? This is the program that scans your drive for installed ORBX products and tells you which needs an update - - - it has to be version 3 as well... If you downloading it from the actual ORBX site - I would think it could be trusted - if not we would probably see hundreds of posts on the issue...

If it prompts you for where you want FTX3 installed - anywhere should be fine - personally - I keep my OS on one SSD - all my run time FS stuff on a second SSD - and utility programs like FTX3 on a third mechanical bulk storage drive... However you see fit... If it doesn't prompt you - some programs have the install path hard coded - just let it go where it wants...  

Can you post a screenshot of what you're looking at ???

Regards,
Scott

Scott,

I don't think that is necessary,

From memory, I went to ORBX site, downloaded the FTX Central installer, which then started the huge download about 2GB which took two days.

I think I am finally on the right track now because my error was that I simply downloaded it to a folder where it was not supposed to go. It has not been installed at all. I believe a "start again" approach is what is needed now.

What threw me off was the blank black space for the install directory. Had that hinted at ... drive C ... Microsoft program files..P3Dv4. or ...browse I would have had a better understanding of what it was etc. There was however, nothing like that, that I could find. It did not even have an install directory at all... just a blank space. For me ... very very confusing. That, plus the fact that it was labeled an update was strange and I immediately thought that the "update" was in fact, the v4 version.

Richard from ORBX support subsequently advised me that they were still working on the v4 version which then just contributed further to my confusion. because of the "update" aspect.  Update of what?

I will now try to find a new download and start again.

Huge waste of time and effort but I am hoping it will be worth it in the long run.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Hi Tony,

OK - sounds good - sound like you have limited bandwidth if it takes so long to download... FTX3 should give you a list of programs that need to be updated and you select which ones to install - maybe try it first with a single file and make sure it completes properly before adding all the files to the queue...

Regards,
Scott