Sign in to follow this  
betelgeuse

Upgrade to Win 10_ legacy

I have W7 x64 on a separate partition in a HDD.  The rest of that drive I use for all kinds of storage.

On two separate drives I have FSX and P3Dv3. 

I plan to build a new rig with P3D4 in mind (will be my 7th build).  Ideally, I will install the new OS (separate partition) on a new SSD or HDD and copy over the storage folders/files depending on available space.

My question: 

Will I be able to physically install my current FSX and P3D HDDs to the new rig AND have them work?  Or must I do a clean install of these sims in Windows 10? 

If I do this, will FSX and P3D3/4 run properly in the new OS? 

I'd be grateful for advice.

John

Supporter.png

John

4 hours ago, betelgeuse said:

Will I be able to physically install my current FSX and P3D HDDs to the new rig AND have them work?  Or must I do a clean install of these sims in Windows 10?

The simple answer is no! There are many Windows registry entries that are created when the sims and add-ons are installed which won't exist on the new system. That's not to mention the sim-related files which are created on the C: drive even if that's not where the sims are installed. The only way forward is a clean install.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks!  I feared this news.  It makes sense of course. 

The problem for me is parting with old friends. I still keep FS9 running on a separate machine because there are so many beautiful freeware sceneries which aren't FSX compatible, much less P3D.

I'm 70 years now but I remember it was the same with girls. When I tried to dump them, I remembered all their good points. And when they dumped me, I couldn't understand why!  :wink:

• Upvote 1

Supporter.png

John