Sign in to follow this  
luismol1999

Buying a laptop, needing help choosing

Hello everyone

Last Tuesday a power overload blew out my computer loosing everything I had there. 

Since I am beginning the University next year I am thinking on moving to a laptop which can render video, run Photoshop, some games, web browsing, and run FSX with PMDG's 737, 747, and 777, Aerosoft's Airbus, REX, and some add on scenery (FlyTampa Saint Marteen, LatinVFR Guatemala, Costa Rica, Tegucigalpa) 

So I have 4 options:

Asus VivoBook S15:

Core i5 7200u 

GT 940MX

8GB DDR4 RAM

1TB HDD

DELL Inspiron 15 5565:

AMD A12-9700P

Integrated Radeon R7 graphics

8GB DDR4 RAM

1TB HDD

ASUS X556UA:

Core i5 7200U

Intel HD620 graphics

8GB DDR4 RAM

1TB HDD

8GB DDR4 RAM

HP Pavilion 14-al001la

Core i5 6200U

Intel HD 520 graphics

8GB DDR4 RAM

1TB HDD

8GB DDR4 RAM

So which do you think will be a good decision?

None of them for sure. Look to all the options offered by MSI Gaming Series Laptops and you' won't believe your eyes!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

14 minutes ago, edpatino said:

None of them for sure. Look to all the options offered by MSI Gaming Series Laptops and you' won't believe your eyes!.

Cheers, Ed

I've seen them, but they are too expensive for what I've planned to spend on my laptop

1 hour ago, luismol1999 said:

Since I am beginning the University next year I am thinking on moving to a laptop which can render video, run Photoshop, some games, web browsing, and run FSX with PMDG's 737, 747, and 777, Aerosoft's Airbus, REX, and some add on scenery (FlyTampa Saint Marteen, LatinVFR Guatemala, Costa Rica, Tegucigalpa)

I think you'd find that any of them would struggle to render video unless you have a lot of spare time to leave it running. Running FSX with those particular add-ons really needs a decent desktop or a dedicated gaming laptop unless you have all of the setup sliders fully to the left and even then...

1 hour ago, luismol1999 said:

So which do you think will be a good decision?

Can't help but to agree with Ed. You'll probably spend most of your time trying to tweak things to get barely acceptable performance (and wishing that you'd gone for something better). If the screen resolution is 1920x1080 or less, you'd probably get most modern games to run at lower settings but FSX needs CPU (and to a lesser extent, GPU) grunt to run well.

Have you looked at the possibility of having your old system repaired?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

25 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I think you'd find that any of them would struggle to render video unless you have a lot of spare time to leave it running. Running FSX with those particular add-ons really needs a decent desktop or a dedicated gaming laptop unless you have all of the setup sliders fully to the left and even then...

Can't help but to agree with Ed. You'll probably spend most of your time trying to tweak things to get barely acceptable performance (and wishing that you'd gone for something better). If the screen resolution is 1920x1080 or less, you'd probably get most modern games to run at lower settings but FSX needs CPU (and to a lesser extent, GPU) grunt to run well.

Have you looked at the possibility of having your old system repaired?

The problem with the old system is that received the overload blew up so repairing it would mean to buy it again and the price is practically the same as  the VivoBook I mentioned

You have my sympathies but I still think you'd be unhappy with the systems you've listed.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I got a two year old Alienware 17 laptop with i7 4710,  16GB ram and a GTX 970m and it runs P3Dv4 nice.  And its two years old.  Check Alienware out. The current models you can have a GTX 1080 and i7 7700 if you like.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I wouldn't look at anything less than this as a spec:

https://www.ebuyer.com/791996-msi-gl62m-7rd-gaming-laptop-and-free-backpack-9s7-16j962-632

Even with this, it would probably be an underwheming experience

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

2 hours ago, vortex681 said:

You have my sympathies but I still think you'd be unhappy with the systems you've listed.

Thanks and thanks for the advice

3 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Thanks and thanks for the advice

Consider...as a minimum.....

I7-7700,  nvidia 1060 preferably 1070, 16 gigs ram.

I've been using laptops for flight sim since approx 2002 and one thing I've learned is buy as much horsepower as you can as hardware upgrades are usually not possible in most cases except for ram and disk drives. You'll future proof your purchase and in the long run it'll be less expensive.

Dave