Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Unable to load PMDG Aircraft - P3Dv4 Crashes

Folks,

Yesterday I started getting P3Dv4 crash to desktop when trying to load PMDG aircraft.  It first happened with the 777.  I was unable to setup a scenario using the 777.  Loading a saved scenario also CTD'd.  I then tried the loading the DC-6 and it started loading and the virtual cockpit loaded an then the screen turned black for several seconds and then P3D crashed.  The DC-6 crash was followed by windows message box that stated "Display Driver has Stopped Responding."   I am also getting CTD when loading the 737NGX.  The event viewer shows an ntdll error associated with the NGX load crash, followed by a stackhash error message.  

I thought I would post here to see if anyone has any ideas?

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

2 minutes ago, jt_williams said:

I thought I would post here to see if anyone has any ideas?

There is a fairly extensive Thread going on the Lockheed Martin support forums regarding what sounds to be the same issue related to the installation of a recent Microsoft Update file KB4038788.  Unfortunately we have no control over the updates Microsoft pushes to users and the side effects they can cause.  According to other users, removing the update file KB4038788 from Windows seems to correct the issue.  Our current recommendation is to Uninstall this update and to notify Microsoft of the issue so that they can issue a corrected update.  Please see the following thread on the Prepar3D Forums for more details on the issue and let us know if you continue to have issues after that file has been removed

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=126667

The driver issue, however, will likely be out of date drivers. Make sure you check your drivers for your graphics card to ensure they're up to date.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for the prompt reply Kyle.  I just checked my windows update and I do not have that update(KB4038788) , but I am not running Windows 10, I run Windows7/64.  I do have KB4038777 which appears to be the equivalent Windows 7 update.  I will remove and report back.  

Follow-up:

I uninstalled the update (KB4038777) and also updated my Nvidia drivers to the latest (382.53).  Still getting CTD's when loading any PMDG aircraft.  Default P3D aircraft load OK.  So does Aerosoft Twin Otter and CRJ.  Milviz Beaver also CTD's.  

Don't know what to do at this point.  I will wait for P3Dv4.1 and hope that will correct the problem.  In the meantime my PMDG aircraft are in the hanger.  I was planning on using the DC-6 on the Aerosoft Round the World in 80 Days event.  I may have to withdraw. Bummer for me.   

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Yes.

Aerosoft Antarctica X

Orbx Germany South

26aLetj.png

I just installed Orbx FTX EU GES without problem.

backup the scenery.cfg file and let P3D build a new one. That will isolate most scenery issues, at least those that  don't involve add-on.xml files.

Dan Downs KCRP

I had this exact same issue (out of no where) also. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out what it was. I hadn't installed any scenery or changed any drivers etc. On a whim, I re-installed the latest AIRAC from navigraph and low and behold that fixed the issue. Might be worth a try...

Roger Owen 

Deleted the scenery.cfg and P3D rebuilt a new one.  Still cannot load 777, 737, or DC-6 

26aLetj.png

5 minutes ago, jt_williams said:

Deleted the scenery.cfg and P3D rebuilt a new one.  Still cannot load 777, 737, or DC-6 

Move all the folders in the my documents\p3d addons temporarily to another directory and try again - David Lee

Have you tried default Prepar3D.cfg?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Folks,

I have some good news to report.  I can now load the 777, NGX, and DC-6 in P3Dv4.   

I am not sure exactly what fixed the problem.  After trying the Scenery.cfg that was rebuilt after deleting it, I copied back the version that I saved before deleting the file.  I started P3Dv4 using the default F22 scenario.  I went into the scenery library and deleted Antarctica X.  P3D reported a scenery ordering/numbering problem and asked whether I want to try to fix it.  I selected "Yes" and after a brief delay the rebuilding scenery indexes progress bar started and completed and I was back in the default scenario.  At this point I tried to load a saved scenario with the DC-6 and it loaded sucessfully with the DC-6 working properly.  Previously this scenario would generate a crash.  I shutdown P3Dv4 and restarted choosing the 777 and it worked, then shutdown and restarted trying the NGX and it worked too.  

Whew!!!! I am very happy and relieved to have my PMDG aircraft back in working order.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

26aLetj.png

Jeff,

So you got it to work without the Antarctica scenery, but did you try uninstalling and re-installing Antarctica to see if that would still break P3D with PMDG aircraft?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

I will add my frustration to this thread.  I had done a flight on P3Dv4 both before and after the Windows update.  I only had the CTD with the ntdll.dll issue two days ago, towards the end of an EDDF-KJFK flight, with about an hour to go.  Ever since then it has occurred.  I have tried all options listed on LM's site and elsewhere, to no avail.

One thing I can say is that the system runs JUST FINE when it is one of the STOCK P3D aircraft, even with ORBX, FSDT and other scenery loaded.  However, when I change to a PMDG AIRCRAFT, I immediately get the CTD error.  I have ensured that all push updates, via PMDG OPS CENTER, have been installed.

I know LM is planning to issue a fix on/about Oct 10th, but not sure if that fixes this issue.

David Robinette

NBL1936

Are you using Navigraph SimLink? you mentioned one event, were there others?  You say you immediately get a CTD loading a PMDG but you first said you had one an hour before KJFK.... sorry, I'm not keeping up.

Dan Downs KCRP

Since adding the extra scenery it could find itself inheriting too extreme settings that may just have worked prior to it. Please try default cfg or at least try a flight with graphics settings and features low. Also when trying to load saved flights ensure the sim is started up freshly and the default flight is the standard one selected.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com