Sign in to follow this  
Mitch24

Almost there with Night Flying

I have always found night flying in FSX and pre-V4 P3D to be un-realistic... I found it to be way too bright, and airport night lighting was just always too dark and never gave me the feeling of night flying like I have experienced in real life.

With the update of V4 and dynamic lighting, I have found night flying to be much MUCH better, and way more realistic. However, there is still a problem that I can't seem to solve...

The moon shining light on my aircraft is WAYY too bright!! It completely lights up my entire airplane, to the point at wing view the entire wing is bright white milky color. Even at midnight. The airplane fuselage should be completely BLACK, and dark.

Even with HDR lighting turned almost all the way down, the airplane still shines with the milky white color. 

Has anyone been able to solve this problem?

I'm pretty sure that you can modify this with either Envtex and/or PTA. I've never tried it myself.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

9 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I'm pretty sure that you can modify this with either Envtex and/or PTA. I've never tried it myself.

Vic

The moon lighting?

Those things can be fixed with the PTA tool.  It has specific settings for night texture brightness but it sounds like you would need to adjust the diffuse moonlight setting.  I had the same issue where the moon was making the ground textures way too bright, almost daytime-like and I toned it down a bit.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

25 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

I had the same issue where the moon was making the ground textures way too bright, almost daytime-like and I toned it down a bit.

Can you explain how? In the CFG?

You would have to purchase the PTA tool in order to adjust that.  The only other thing that could effect it is your HDR settings.  If you turn off HDR, does this still happen? 

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I have noticed that the ground is way too bright as well at night as well.  And I dislike the long lines of light that illuminate major hi ways.   It would be nice if motor vehicles were all that provided light and they would not be visible from high altitudes.  I am not familiar with the PTA tool.  I will research it.  

6 hours ago, Flic1 said:

You would have to purchase the PTA tool in order to adjust that.  The only other thing that could effect it is your HDR settings.  If you turn off HDR, does this still happen? 

That's nonsense, they are just tweaks! I surely don't have to buy a program for that tweak, does anyone know what the tweak is?

Obviously, play with the HDR and lighting settings. See if you can get a balance that looks good to you. You might also want to calibrate your monitor as see if that gets you closer to what you want.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

23 hours ago, Mitch24 said:

That's nonsense, they are just tweaks! I surely don't have to buy a program for that tweak, does anyone know what the tweak is?

If you don't want to purchase PTA you can try Reshade which is free, both products use post procesing Directx shaders to improve the looks of the sim.

PTA has been designed and calibrated for Prepar3d, Reshade is an open source solution which can be installed to any Directx or OpenGl application including games, lots of people use Reshade for many video games and they share their presets with others users.

I use Reshade with my own personal preset.

I wish you a great simulation experience.

Simbol 

I've found that I just have to turn off HDR when flying at night.  I love my day settings, and any tweaks I've found to shaders also affect the daytime appearance.  With merely HDR turned off at night, I get a much more palatable environment.

1 hour ago, medx421 said:

I've found that I just have to turn off HDR when flying at night.  I love my day settings, and any tweaks I've found to shaders also affect the daytime appearance.  With merely HDR turned off at night, I get a much more palatable environment.

That has been my experience as well.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I don't know how you guys can run hdr at all.  Can't stand how the default hdr works - day time everything becomes so dark if you're in sunshine.  Nighttime - I never have it on especially then.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

55 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I don't know how you guys can run hdr at all.  Can't stand how the default hdr works - day time everything becomes so dark if you're in sunshine.  Nighttime - I never have it on especially then.

Interesting.  I like HDR off also as it seem artificial and washes out color...but I find the opposite...too dark in daytime.  Could you share what sky texture add ons you use, PTA preset, etc?