Sign in to follow this  
tutmeister

Monarch ceases trading

Wow, didn’t see this coming. Not that I’m an insider so why would I but I’ve always had a soft spot for Monarch due to plenty of family holiday flights from Manchester and Liverpool.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41464934

Sad news for passengers and staff. CAA doing the right thing for everyone too, good job.

Chris

Sad news indeen.

European sky is traded by a lot of actors with prices underevalueted... Only one way for future... Passengers must paid the right ticket-value for a travel.

Perhaps a first Brexit consequence by the traders and investors.

Apparently they nearly went bust last year. One of the primary reason is that they weren't competing with the super budget ones as they charged a bit more but fed you. Their money makers were Egypt, Turkey and north Africa which obviously have taken a dive in appeal so they have had to start competing with shorter European destinations and they couldn't compete with the short haul. They weren't the cheapest but did trade on giving a better service than Easy, Ryan and Jet2.

As I heard someone say on the news, people will put up with anything on an hour or two flight and will usually choose based on price only.

Chris

Sad news, I had my only ever flight on a Boeing 707-720B with Monarch, never forget that.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 minute ago, ukplane1 said:

Brexit means Bankruptcy 

Sigh...without turning this into a political discussion...we are still in the EU.  Monarchs downturn as indicated above was primarily due to the decrease heading to the somewhat more terrorist prone countries of North Africa.

I hope that the people affected swiftly find new positions. 

• Upvote 1

Ian R Tyldesley

This happened last year,but they got funding at the 11th hour,so unfortunately it was on the cards.

Unfortunately with the likes of ryanair and easyjet the whole industry is in a race to the bottom.

Hopefully it will be ryanair next but unlikely unless he continues to treat his staff like s**t and they leave

Pete Little

Could actually be a bonus for Ryanair in terms of their aircrew 'shortage' if only MOL could learn to treat his staff with some respect.

How would that " help " Ryanair , of the 36 aircraft Monarch have 35 are Airbus "ses" . Not forgetting Ryanairs attitude towards it's pilots and cabin crew .

John

23 hours ago, ukplane1 said:

Brexit means Bankruptcy 

Brexit means a cap on immigration. How many more human beings can this 600-mile long island's infrastructure cope with?

But I digress...

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

Brexit means a cap on immigration. How many more human beings can this 600-mile long island's infrastructure cope with?

But I digress...

Mark,

True that, but it makes it more difficult for the klepto-commiecrats, that run the EU, to finish the take-over of GB...I think that is ukplane1's concern.

You know, I have to say, AVSIM is such a good forum because of the lack of politics, but the progressives haven't been doing so well lately, so they just can't help themselves but to bring it up.

• Upvote 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

55 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

But I digress...

Well the millions of Britons abroad in the EU will all be illegal so in just a week the population would rise by 3 million - not quite what you wanted - eh?

Do you know what the single market is?

- Nope didn't think so.

• Upvote 3

On 2 October 2017 at 7:55 PM, WotanUK said:

Sigh...without turning this into a political discussion...we are still in the EU.  Monarchs downturn as indicated above was primarily due to the decrease heading to the somewhat more terrorist prone countries of North Africa.

I hope that the people affected swiftly find new positions. 

Oh dear oh dear. What a load of nonsence.

Dear old Monarch died because it's shareholders thought it could compete with O'Leary.

It lost sight of its Long-hauls and profitable charter flights. Instead it went for the short-haul Euro (pay to pee) routes.

It couldn't win in the white heat competition for European low cost short-haul because its values of service and old fashioned manners have no place in the World today. We're the poorer for it - but who gives a t**s when we're flying from London to Berlin for a tenner!

I am very sorry it's gone. What goes with it is a sense of decency, customer service and respect. Values rapidly becoming extinct.

And once they're gone, they're gone. 

mon1.jpg

2 hours ago, ukplane1 said:

Well the millions of Britons abroad in the EU will all be illegal so in just a week the population would rise by 3 million - not quite what you wanted - eh?

Do you know what the single market is?

- Nope didn't think so.

At least those 3 million Britons abroad... are British. Those 3 million would not be immigrants - they would take the place first and foremost over any non-British wanting to migrate into this country. No need to teach those expats English or how to integrate with UK culture. How desperately other EU countries want to kick the expats out remains to be seen.

Do I even care what the single market is? My car was made by a company owned by Tata... who are Indian. Our other car is Japanese. My XBOX and PC's components were made in China (probably) and the operating systems are American. My TV and microwave are Japanese..

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)