Sign in to follow this  
delete this account

Carenado Saab 340 thoughts?

Carenado certainly does very nice one engine prop planes, but Turboprops, well...

It will of course look great, but regarding love to system/avionics details I'd be not very optimistic.

I'm just an occasional X-Plane user, but if you really like the 340, I'd recommend flying the Leading Edge Sim 340 in X-Plane. There's also a new version for XP11 in development.

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

The C90GTX is actually quite nice, so they CAN do twin engine turboprops.. we'll have to see what they actually deliver with the Saab 340, before tearing it apart.. :happy:

Bert

It's pretty difficult to say since it hasn't been released, but my hunch is that it will look pretty and have limited system functions. It would be really nice if Carenado offered cargo versions of some of their planes like they did with the C208. I would love to haul some cargo in the 340, but I'm guessing they'll only release a pax model.

I'm in the same boat as mikealpha. I occasionally use XP11 and have the LES Saab 340. It's a great aircraft and I recommend anyone interested in serious Saab flying to check it out!

Ryzen 9 3950X / RTX 2080 Ti / 32GB DDR4 (3200MHz @ 14-14-14-34)

25 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

The C90GTX is actually quite nice, so they CAN do twin engine turboprops.. we'll have to see what they actually deliver with the Saab 340, before tearing it apart.. :happy:

I'd agree to say their twin engine props are quite nice, I really like e.g. their Seminole. But Turboprops, no, not really. The C90GTX looks great, and the flight dynamics are quite convincing. But love to details regarding avionics and systems ? NO, not at all. Not their intention anyway.

In that regard, I think Saab 340 and Fokker 50 are far too much for them, it's a pity because it makes development of these planes unattractive for other developers. Carenado should continue without that "Turbo! :-). More love to details instead of high throughput.

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

I think the Saab 340 is a wonderful "not-so-old-aircraft". I flew once on it with American Eagle from Houston to Baton Rouge almost 20 years ago and enjoyed that flight very much. In my opinion Carenado is improving their aircraft releases lately and we should expect another decent and good release with the 340, as they did with the Do228, the Shrike S500 and the most recently with their wonderful TC 690B, among others. However, don't expect a PMDG-type systems simulation with Carenado aircraft, this has being said millions of times over here!.

The 340 has certainly been an overlooked aircraft in P3D (and FSX), but now we'll finally have one opportunity to grab it. Thanks Carenado!, and hopefully the release will come soon!.

Cheers, Ed

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

There was a very nice Saab 340 from Flight Factory Simulations about 10 years ago. I enjoyed it very much. Lost it when I transitioned to a new computer back then as FFS went away and I was unable to re-validate the license.  I had a very nice repaint for it in my university's livery. They (Indiana University) had a Saab 340 they used mostly for athletics teams.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

If they have already created the B1900D and Dornier 228, they can do another turboprop: SAAb340 (and 2000?)

I think the make-or-break part of these regional turboprops is the problems Carenado has with their paint kit. If they want these regional turboprops to be successful products, they have to change that paint kit to be more user friendly. Otherwise we won't see many repaints.

They really don't seem to like to listen to their customer base when it comes to paint kits or fixes to existing products. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/2/2017 at 0:45 PM, adf said:

It's pretty difficult to say since it hasn't been released, but my hunch is that it will look pretty and have limited system functions. It would be really nice if Carenado offered cargo versions of some of their planes like they did with the C208. I would love to haul some cargo in the 340, but I'm guessing they'll only release a pax model.

I'm in the same boat as mikealpha. I occasionally use XP11 and have the LES Saab 340. It's a great aircraft and I recommend anyone interested in serious Saab flying to check it out!

I emailed them about the Cargo model. It was a negative unless we can get enough people to get behind it and keep asking them about it.

Well it goes without saying that being Carenado it will be visually perfect as the screenshots released so far seem to confirm. Bearing in mind that Carenado have done a pretty good job on the Fokker 50 (leaving aside the FMC as always!), if they apply the same standards to the forthcoming Saab then we could be in for a pleasant treat with that too! As I like the 340, I purchased the VCol Saab in a sale just to have one, but not surprisingly I don't fly it very much however I for one am looking forward to the Carenado version which I will happily fly with the GTN as an alternative to any FMC they might provide. On the subject of commuter airliners I think they may have a Shorts 360 in the pipeline too!

Bill

On 10/3/2017 at 10:17 AM, edpatino said:

I think the Saab 340 is a wonderful "not-so-old-aircraft". I flew once on it with American Eagle from Houston to Baton Rouge almost 20 years ago and enjoyed that flight very much. In my opinion Carenado is improving their aircraft releases lately and we should expect another decent and good release with the 340, as they did with the Do228, the Shrike S500 and the most recently with their wonderful TC 690B, among others. However, don't expect a PMDG-type systems simulation with Carenado aircraft, this has being said millions of times over here!.

The 340 has certainly been an overlooked aircraft in P3D (and FSX), but now we'll finally have one opportunity to grab it. Thanks Carenado!, and hopefully the release will come soon!.

Cheers, Ed

I'm really looking forward to this aircraft. I flew one in the RW for a few years and almost 2000 hours almost 20 years ago. The company I flew for then operated it on everything from 11,000' of pavement in civilization to 4000' of gravel with a 1.17% slope in the arctic. Great pilots machine. I found the most challenging exercise in the sim was the V1 cut. It could be handful and more than a few failed the ride there. it was a satisfying aircraft to fly. I think Carenado will be fine with this creation.

Dave

On 20/04/2018 at 2:22 AM, dbw1 said:

I'm really looking forward to this aircraft.

Looks like release is imminent as the Saab is no longer present on the 'Incoming' page of the Carenado website.

Bill

• Like 1