Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

QW 787 FSX Feedback/First Impressions Only Thread

Hey everyone,

I would like to create a thread for only QW 787 FSX First Impressions and Feedback.  Please try to keep discussion within these parameters.  I know lot of simmers are excited about this release.  Lot of threads go into FSX vs P3D etc. and I humbly request we all do NOT go there.

Bug reporting should be minimum, as they have official forum support on QW site and those conversations should go there.

Excited to read your feedback about this addon.

• Upvote 9

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Above Aerosoft quality.

However i expect Aerosoft to raise the bar with their new airbuses, with the 787 they're a little bugs such as when intercepting the loc and 1 or 2 sound blunders  nevertheless, this aircraft has potential to make the large amount of tunnel vision PMDG happy fans try another aircraft.

I'm not sure if more features are planned for P3D V4 lot's of people were complaining about the potential for OOMS but this plane neatly has a VAS reader in the cockpit and thus far VAS consumption is very low. ( 1 hour flight and 5 hour flight )

• Upvote 2

Currently doing a first flight with it. It's a lovely looking thing, gets good FPS and has a very comprehensive FMC, the EFB has a lot of nice features, but not all of the ones you might expect, although I'll be honest, I'm not fully conversant with it yet, so that could be just me not working it correctly. It does have a nice VAS usage display feature on the PFD, which i should imagine will be handy for FSX.

It flies beautifully by hand incidentally.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just a few circuits to get a feel of it and a couple of short haul flights done with this so far without fully reading the manual. Appearance wise the 787 has been beautifully modelled both inside and out and the cockpit feels very 'immersive'. The sound also seem very realistic although I have only had one real world flight in a (Virgin) 787 to compare it with. Up to now, all my flights in the QW 787 have either been manual or using the autopilot and I have not yet started playing around with the FMC, but my dominant first impression is that this is just one beautiful aircraft to hand fly! So nice actually that I am not sure I want to let the FMC fly it 😉!!

Bill

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, scianoir said:

my dominant first impression is that this is just one beautiful aircraft to hand fly! So nice actually that I am not sure I want to let the FMC fly it 😉!!

Bill

Yup, I'm in complete agreement there, it is lovely to fly by hand, and that's good because even though I will usually put a SID on my flight plans, I often hand fly them and don't stick it on LNAV until pointing at the destination, and that's really easy to do with the QW 787, especially since the EFB can display those SIDs nice and large for you to get a good handle on the turns coming up.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

I have asked Flight1 for a refund for the QualityWIngs 787. Not because I didn't like it. I really did - it is beautiful inside, out - but it's a bit heavy on the VAS end, in my experience... 

I'll await the release for Prepar3D V4 - if it ever comes?!

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

52 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

it is beautiful inside, out - but it's a bit heavy on the VAS end, in my experience... 

I'll await the release for Prepar3D V4 - if it ever comes?!

VAS usage seems to be about the equivalent of the PMDG 777 which for me means deactivating almost all scenery except for origin and destination airports in order to fly it without OOMs. I can live with that for now as the aircraft is very good and most 787 flying is going to be high level anyway.  Not sure if it would survive an approach into some of the most VAS intensive airports like Aerosoft Frankfurt V2 though - time will tell!

Bill

7 minutes ago, scianoir said:

VAS usage seems to be about the equivalent of the PMDG 777 which for me means deactivating almost all scenery except for origin and destination airports in order to fly it without OOMs. I can live with that for now as the aircraft is very good and most 787 flying is going to be high level anyway.  Not sure if it would survive an approach into some of the most VAS intensive airports like Aerosoft Frankfurt V2 though - time will tell!

Bill

You're probably right... 

I'll wait for the Prepar3D V4 version. If/when it comes...

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Did the basic tutorial flight which comes with the manual, which is not bad, it is a flight from Seattle to San Francisco up at FL350 which uses a simple but realistic route, a SID and an ILS approach, so that's very nice. It is not the only tutorial, this one being more of a 'get you up and running fairly quickly' type affair, but it is nonetheless quite realistic, including a cold and dark start, programming the FMC, linking the EFB to the FMC and flying the whole flight.

Note that for anyone trying this one, there is an issue with it, which is easy to sort out, but worth pointing out anyway. The tutorial tells you to start at KSEA at gate C10, but the problem is, on the default settings, this will load your aeroplane nose in to gate C10 as you'd expect, but  then if you try to use the 787's config panel to display the ground power start cart, you can't; it can't load into the sim because the jetway at gate C10 on the default FSX scenery prevents it from materialising, so you would not be able to do the cold and dark start up, of course all you need to do is push back a little bit from the jetway to solve this problem by hitting Shift+P, but they should have tested that a bit more and thought about it being a potential problem for new users who might not be familiar with how to push back in FS. I suspect that someone has tested the tutorial with add-on KSEA scenery and that's why this went unnoticed.

There are a few minor typos in the tutorial too, and it could be a little more helpful on pointing out where switches and such are for those less familiar with airliners; for example, simply telling the user to 'turn on the fuel flow switches' for the engines when starting them up is fine for people who are used to airliner cockpits and know these are located near the throttle levers, but to someone who does not know that, only showing a picture of the overhead panel on the page which mentions doing this will probably have people confused if flying an airliner is new to them. Not a problem for people who fly airliners a lot of course, but something which could be a little bit better; a manual which is a tutorial should not assume anything about a user, and especially on an airliner with which most people are not that familiar.

Beyond these minor niggles, the tutorial flight is good and does a decent job of teaching you how to use the EFB properly in combination with the FMC and I don't think anyone would really have much difficulty with learning how to fly the aeroplane properly with this tutorial proving they knew a little bit about aeroplanes.

Throughout the flight the VAS varied between 3.0 and 3.4Gb with FS on pretty high settings, so it never got really very close to worrying me, although I was using the default FS airports, so that probably helped, nevertheless, I did have FS AI traffic up very high and it is using Ultimate Traffic, and the DX10 fixer was doing cloud shadows, plus the scenery detail levels were up high too, so it's not as if I was desperately having to try to keep that VAS figure down, but if necessary I could certainly have done so, because there would have been plenty I could have turned off. although the frame rate was up and down like a yoyo, it never actually stuttered or lagged, nor did it ever drop to a point where it was unflyable, I'd say it easily averaged a decent 30fps and would probably have done more if FRAPS had not been running.

The 787 can be a slippery SOB on descent, but in fact this is where one of its features really makes it shine, that being the VSD on the PFD if you put a STAR into your flight plan, as that really helps with picking when to start down and when to start dirtying up the configuration, this is actually done a lot better in this simulated airliner than any other one I've seen, so if you're considering buying, look out for that feature because it is really great.

For the landing I decided to forgo using the ILS and fly the approach manually using the collimated HGS, which is another excellent feature that is done really well. Providing you've put all the VREF stuff into the FMC for your approach, manually flying it even with the autothrottle disengaged is really easy to do, because it is so nice to fly. You can see from the pics that I got it right on the piano keys no problem whatsoever, and this was literally the second landing I've ever tried in the thing, and with autobrake 2 used and a bit of reverse thrust, it came to a stop without any drama.

Some pics...

FymOLiR.jpg

1B7VZc5.jpg

ItRN6zA.jpg

bfYk9WL.jpg

pCblKJX.jpg

Sq4Kc4j.jpg

tiEhNZp.jpg

b0uK5Jj.jpg

Bmn8tnN.jpg

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Close to a tail strike?? :blink: :tongue:

It does look like a very nice "big iron" toy to have in FSX:SE thanks for the runthrough, Alan.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

6 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Close to a tail strike?? :blink: :tongue:

Nah, it can look a bit like that from certain angles, certainly from a looking down viewpoint, but unless you really took the mickey with the deck angle it wouldn't tail strike. Here's a screenshot from the front of the same paused moment at touchdown, you can see it's nowhere near, and you know this is the exact same moment and not a blag, the flight sim info is exactly the same!

SOALqCS.jpg

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

4 hours ago, VSP4264 said:

Good plane, but for me, elevator locked during take-off run... whats up?

http://qwsim.flight1.net/forums/forums.html

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg