Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

QW 787 FSX Feedback/First Impressions Only Thread

23 minutes ago, warbirds said:

After release of the aircraft or after release of the P3D version?

Presumably for two months after thee P3D version gets released, although I think they'd do better saying when that is likely to be, I mean if it is quite a few months away people might get the FSX one in the interim so they can learn it,  but if it's a few weeks maybe not.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

5 hours ago, warbirds said:

After release of the aircraft or after release of the P3D version?

After the P3Dv4 release.

• Upvote 1

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Having been away from home for a couple of weeks and having previously only carried out a handful of short flights on the 787, I couldn't wait to fly it again so tonight I performed my longest flight yet on this aircraft from Shannon (EINN) to Bergen (ENBR). Although my impatience had got the better of me and I had not yet fully studied all the manuals, I was still able to complete the 1 hour 45 minute night flight without any difficulty, as I suspect anyone could providing they were familiar with the operation of the FMC/CDU/EFIS systems on other Boeing aircraft. This really is a lovely aircraft to operate and it flew the inputted flight plan flawlessly, the only hiccup being that it did not pick up the runway 35 ILS on approach. I don't think this was as a result of any problem with the aircraft, but more likely due to me missing out on something by not fully studying the manuals. Luckily however the weather tonight was good enough to permit a visual approach which I flew manually, but I did not quite have the same amount of luck with VAS usage which sadly hit the threshold as I turned off the runway so I never made it to the terminal! Next time I do a 787 flight in this area I must remember to deactivate Orbx Norway.

Bill

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, scianoir said:

so I never made it to the terminal! Next time I do a 787 flight in this area I must remember to deactivate Orbx Norway.

Do you fly full screen or windowed mode?  In windowed mode I have been able to regain some VAS by hitting the Restore Down/Minimize button.  Leaving the windows at a reduced size for 30 secs to a minute and then maximizing it back to full size.  I'll normally do this a few times on a long flight.

Yeah, it sounds like snake oil, but the numbers on the FSUIPC VAS monitor don't lie.

As for full screen..you might try switching to windowed, doing the same thing and back to full screen...

Ernie

• Upvote 1

Ernest Pergrem

6 hours ago, airernie said:

Do you fly full screen or windowed mode? 

I normally fly in windows mode so I'll give your tip a try next time Ernie. Odd that the VAS usage doesn't go back up again when you restore the window to full size but, as you say, the VAS monitor doesn't lie.

Another tip I heard was to go into full screen mode when you are approaching the VAS threshold and that will often allow you the few extra minutes you need to complete your flight as most of these VAS issues tend to occur on approach to an addon airport. I've tried that a few times but the downside is that when I go into full screen mode I lose any 2D windows which might be open on a second monitor. So your tip sounds better - thank you for that.

And for all those out there who are about to chime in and say P3Dv4 is the solution.....................yes, we know that!! 😉

Bill

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, scianoir said:

Odd that the VAS usage doesn't go back up again when you restore the window to full size but, as you say, the VAS monitor doesn't lie.

Oh.. it will eventually go back up, but that's the nature of the beast.   :smile:

Ernest Pergrem

5 hours ago, airernie said:

Oh.. it will eventually go back up, but that's the nature of the beast.   :smile:

Yes, discovered that tonight! But it just gives you a couple of extra minutes that might allow you to complete a flight.

Bill