Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Performance through the floor!

I am completely stumped. I have not had P3DV4 installed for very long and only recently have started some proper flying. For some reason, after I have been flying for about 5 minutes, performance drops dramatically from a comfortable 30fps+ to a stuttering mess with frames of about 12-14. The sim effectively becomes unflyable. This is without real weather, with Windows updates, Malwarebytes, AV, Windows defender all turned off in services. I've opened Process Explorer and task manager trying to see what the culprit is, but have been unable to discover anything obvious. I'm running Windows 10. Can anyone help with this before I throw myself out of the window?! Cheers guys.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

General drill - disable all your addons and start testing. Also, I'd check you swapfile size - increase it and see if that helps. Watch your memory during a flight, see if something is using it up, possibly a memory leak

Does this happen on all flights or just over a specific area with specific aircraft?

Also, when this happens - pause the sim for 5 minutes and continue - does it clear up? That could be an indication of settings that are a tad too high.

Try renaming or deleting the prepar3d.cfg file.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Deleting the config and rebuilding it is the first thing to do beause it's the simplest and quickest.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Hi Howard.

I had a situation similar to you for a bit there. My PC is quite robust and I started loading up the sim and it was running smooth as silk. I was installing planes and things went downhill. Started getting bad stutters.  Couldn't seem to get her fixed. Please read the story below you may find it useful.

Short story it was so bad I did a complete reinstall. That has been great, but once again after loading in all the Orbx, UTX, other payware sceneries and many planes it started again.

Someone recommended to me to get Process Lasso and let it balance out demand on the system. I did that but it did not cure it, I did see some improvement though.

Now I have about 145-150 processes running in the background, and I started thinking that this was the issue. I watched my CPU go up to 100% and when it did so I would get a jump in frames and stutters. My RAM would be used up to 50%.

I went online and downloaded Alacrictypc, game booster and GBoost, freeware process managers which would shut down unneeded processes.

I started with GameBooster...and it shut down 67 processes most totally unnecessary, updaters and such. But it shut down my GTN trainer. I fixed that and things went along fairly smoothly but some light stutters and then bigger ones and frames far below what they should have been.

I gave up. I restored the processes shut down by GameBooster and shut off my PC for the night, next day I fired up the sim again in a last ditch effort to get the sim back to normal.

Wow, and weird!! The sim was smooth as silk again, my frames were 50-60 and over 100 in the desert areas of Utah. I tried some complex planes and everything was still beautiful. I am back enjoying the sim the way it is supposed to be.

So what happened?? I don't know. But it seems like turning GameBooster on and off might have cleared out something cached or blocking in memory. Now my sim uses 50-80% CPU and the frames are steady, I can set it to 30 frames limited and it never wavers below 29. ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

Sorry I have no insight as to what happened to fix my issue, I have some 147 processes running or sitting in idle mode and I can open my email and firefox and still have a smooth sim. As I said it was like someone flushed the toilet and the word not allowed was cleared. But you could try what I did and perhaps the simming gods will be with you.

Bryan

My PC

I7-6700K  4.2GHZ

GTX 970 4GB 7GHZ GDDR5
RAM 16G DDR4 2133MHZ
ASUS Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Z170 Skylake DDR4

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Before understanding that some .dll or .fx from v3 version are bad because programmed in 32 bits... I was less in fps... Folder effects is a hight risk folder

After making a clean reinstall of the v4, I reinstalled only first time the upgraded versions v4 of addons and tested the sim for each add. When I read on forum that a older scenery addon is working in v4. I make before a full bckup of mine sim and only after I try and verify the candidate with more attention... Sure, I never try to install aircraft not upgrated to V4.

Mine scenery.cfg have after few weeks more than 600 tested entries... was A big challenge and time consumming. Lost of time ? Absolutely no. Because now  I have the best sim that never have... Wondersky to fly...

have a good day and hope for you a rapidely come back in a clear v4 sky.

mark

13 hours ago, vgbaron said:

General drill - disable all your addons and start testing. Also, I'd check you swapfile size - increase it and see if that helps. Watch your memory during a flight, see if something is using it up, possibly a memory leak

Does this happen on all flights or just over a specific area with specific aircraft?

Also, when this happens - pause the sim for 5 minutes and continue - does it clear up? That could be an indication of settings that are a tad too high.

Try renaming or deleting the prepar3d.cfg file.

Vic

Hi Vic, sure, here is my post from the LM forum:-

I have recently installed P3D V4 into Win10 and have only just begun doing any serious flying due to most of the time being taken up with installing addons. I have had four occasions now with the PMDG NGX, A2A Cherokee and A2A 182. Perfectly good performance and then for some reason immediately get a frame rate drop down to 12-14, with dreadful stutters. I spent forever trying to find the culprit without any result.

Windows update: Disabled
Windows defender: Disabled
Malwarebytes: Disabled
No AV installed
All other updates disabled
No real weather present

In addition to third party sceneries and aircraft: Chaseplane, TrackIR, FSUIPC, LINDA, SPAD, Nvidia Inspector, AS16, (but not used in these instances)

One thing I would like to add is that I had created a test scenario with the NGX at ENBR, Bergen, sat on northerly runway and saved the flight. FPS were 30+. I took off and encountered quite a bit of delayed textur eloading although frames seemd to remain at 30+. When I began another test, with the same parameters, the frames were about 15, slashe din half! It was also stuttery. I started this same saved flight several times, trying different combinations, but the fps remained at about 15. However, after restarting P3D and then creating the same scenario, BUT WITHOUT USING THE SIMILAR SAVED FLIGHT, the frames showed 30+. It would appear by saving the flight, it had also saved whatever error was causing this massive performance hit. I also experienced exactly the same situation when using both A2A aircraft from another airport. Also when leaving Naples in the A2A Cherokee, took off, flew south and within 5-10 minutes the fps plummeted and I ended up with fps of aboput 12-14 and stutters. It was unflyable. Can someone from LM please reply with an update to this and offer some information as to whether this is about to be corrected. Many thanks.

11 hours ago, vp49p3 said:

Deleting the config and rebuilding it is the first thing to do beause it's the simplest and quickest.

4 hours ago, ms2 said:

Before understanding that some .dll or .fx from v3 version are bad because programmed in 32 bits... I was less in fps... Folder effects is a hight risk folder

After making a clean reinstall of the v4, I reinstalled only first time the upgraded versions v4 of addons and tested the sim for each add. When I read on forum that a older scenery addon is working in v4. I make before a full bckup of mine sim and only after I try and verify the candidate with more attention... Sure, I never try to install aircraft not upgrated to V4.

Mine scenery.cfg have after few weeks more than 600 tested entries... was A big challenge and time consumming. Lost of time ? Absolutely no. Because now  I have the best sim that never have... Wondersky to fly...

have a good day and hope for you a rapidely come back in a clear v4 sky.

mark

Thanks fellas.

10 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

Hi Howard.

I had a situation similar to you for a bit there. My PC is quite robust and I started loading up the sim and it was running smooth as silk. I was installing planes and things went downhill. Started getting bad stutters.  Couldn't seem to get her fixed. Please read the story below you may find it useful.

Short story it was so bad I did a complete reinstall. That has been great, but once again after loading in all the Orbx, UTX, other payware sceneries and many planes it started again.

Someone recommended to me to get Process Lasso and let it balance out demand on the system. I did that but it did not cure it, I did see some improvement though.

Now I have about 145-150 processes running in the background, and I started thinking that this was the issue. I watched my CPU go up to 100% and when it did so I would get a jump in frames and stutters. My RAM would be used up to 50%.

I went online and downloaded Alacrictypc, game booster and GBoost, freeware process managers which would shut down unneeded processes.

I started with GameBooster...and it shut down 67 processes most totally unnecessary, updaters and such. But it shut down my GTN trainer. I fixed that and things went along fairly smoothly but some light stutters and then bigger ones and frames far below what they should have been.

I gave up. I restored the processes shut down by GameBooster and shut off my PC for the night, next day I fired up the sim again in a last ditch effort to get the sim back to normal.

Wow, and weird!! The sim was smooth as silk again, my frames were 50-60 and over 100 in the desert areas of Utah. I tried some complex planes and everything was still beautiful. I am back enjoying the sim the way it is supposed to be.

So what happened?? I don't know. But it seems like turning GameBooster on and off might have cleared out something cached or blocking in memory. Now my sim uses 50-80% CPU and the frames are steady, I can set it to 30 frames limited and it never wavers below 29. ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

Sorry I have no insight as to what happened to fix my issue, I have some 147 processes running or sitting in idle mode and I can open my email and firefox and still have a smooth sim. As I said it was like someone flushed the toilet and the word not allowed was cleared. But you could try what I did and perhaps the simming gods will be with you.

Bryan

My PC

I7-6700K  4.2GHZ

GTX 970 4GB 7GHZ GDDR5
RAM 16G DDR4 2133MHZ
ASUS Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Z170 Skylake DDR4

Hi Bryan, hmm, very odd. I have a thread open on the P3D forum. There are some other instances similar to mine. It seems LM is aware of these and so I hope they can address this. I will follow your suggestion, but I have a feeling there may be something a little more sinister going on under the bonnet. :huh:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Once again, I have also posted this on the P3D forum.

I HAVE FOUND THE CULPRIT. A bug in V4, possibly (?) When I drag a panel across to the second monitor from within the sim, so it maybe Active Sky user panel, ATC, or a GPS panel from within the aircraft, the frames crash from 30+ down to a stuttering 12-15

I have not experienced anything like this in FSX, SE or P3d v3.4 and apart from maybe a couple of frames, I have experienced no performance hit in any of these sims.

My main monitor is a 4k 43" and the second monitor is a Dell running at 1280x1084. I'm running i7 6700@ 4.5Ghz and run with a GTX1080ti. 16Gb Ram. The fact that this happens immediately on dragging the panels across, seems to indicate this is the problem. The interesting thing is, if I then close down that panel and switch off the monitor, although the frames begin to slowly creep back up they are bouncing around from 14-30 with stutters. Only when I close the sim and restart can I return to normal performance.

Any ideas to address this issue will be appreciated. Thanks.

Howard

That exact behavior I noticed before in fsx, so I stopped dragging windows out of the sim screen a few years ago... I have used windows 8-10 for a long time tho,. Are you just switching now to windows 10 from 7? If not, can you move windows off the main screen in fsx on your current system? Kind of curious

4 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

That exact behavior I noticed before in fsx, so I stopped dragging windows out of the sim screen a few years ago... I have used windows 8-10 for a long time tho,. Are you just switching now to windows 10 from 7? If not, can you move windows off the main screen in fsx on your current system? Kind of curious

Hi Shawn, I have used the same system for years now in FSX, SE, previously P3D v3.4 each in Windows 7 and now Windows 10 with P3D V4. My previous main monitor was a 2k Dell Ultrasharp and a 1280x1084 second monitor. I now use that same second monitor with a 4K monitor, driven by a 1080ti. This will be a major bummer for me if I can't get to the bottom of things.

Howard

I wonder if it has to do with different resolution monitors, I have had a few other programs with issues there.  Years ago I used two different resolution monitors when I noticed the issue,. I'll try tonight, since I now have 2 1080p monitors.

16 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

I wonder if it has to do with different resolution monitors, I have had a few other programs with issues there.  Years ago I used two different resolution monitors when I noticed the issue,. I'll try tonight, since I now have 2 1080p monitors.

:cool:

Howard

17 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

Interesting.

Howard, in my experience posted above I did not have an issue with dragging my GTN to another monitor, it made no difference whatsoever. So my issue then must be different.

I run a 46" LED TV monitor and a 23" Samsung monitor for maps, gps etc. Both are set for 1980x1080 HD and both are connected with HDMI to my PC, they are in sync.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

14 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Once again, I have also posted this on the P3D forum.

I HAVE FOUND THE CULPRIT. A bug in V4, possibly (?) When I drag a panel across to the second monitor from within the sim, so it maybe Active Sky user panel, ATC, or a GPS panel from within the aircraft, the frames crash from 30+ down to a stuttering 12-15

I have not experienced anything like this in FSX, SE or P3d v3.4 and apart from maybe a couple of frames, I have experienced no performance hit in any of these sims.

My main monitor is a 4k 43" and the second monitor is a Dell running at 1280x1084. I'm running i7 6700@ 4.5Ghz and run with a GTX1080ti. 16Gb Ram. The fact that this happens immediately on dragging the panels across, seems to indicate this is the problem. The interesting thing is, if I then close down that panel and switch off the monitor, although the frames begin to slowly creep back up they are bouncing around from 14-30 with stutters. Only when I close the sim and restart can I return to normal performance.

Any ideas to address this issue will be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a similar issue where I undock panels in the pmdg737 and my frames drop by half. That's with one 4k monitor only. Even when I get a window pop up from a third party add on it drops my frames by half, however the frame rate returns to normal after a few seconds. If I then click back on the undocked window or pop up, my frames drop to half again. I don't recall this ever happening in fsx or P3dv3. 

I have the same problem. When I installed v4, I had amazing performance, around 30-50 fps in the VC, and ~70 outside. 

One day, suddenly, the performance crashed. It will still give good frames after the  sim loads, within a minute or two, Fps drops to 10 in the VC and 20 oustide. If I open a menu item and then go back to the flight, the frames shoot up for a while and drop again. 

I've tried various AMs, Process Lasso, but no solution. Hope someone comes up with a solution here.