Sign in to follow this  
Tanguy SEHA

Is Coffee lake worth the upgrade for flight sim?

Hello,

I was thinking about upgrade my mobo (that doesn't allow me to OC my CPU) but before doing that, I must choice between a 270 serie or a 370 (for an upgraade with a i7 8700k) but do you think that the i7 8700k will be better for the flight sim than what does the i7 7700K? 

I'm on P3D and X Plane 11 so both infos are welcome 

Thank you :) 

I'd say so, it'll boost up to 4.6 on all cores which puts it higher than the 7700k. IPC will be improved and 2 extra cores will help with autogen loading in high density areas. All for the same price as a 7700k now, I'd say it's definitely worth it. It will require a Z370 board, though.

I will certainly go for it, I guess it will be a beast. Finally something worth replacing my aged i7-3770K.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

If you are planning to OC be aware these CPUS get very hot, I had to delid mine to keep temperatures down as Intel puts a very bad thermal compound on their processors since skylake.

Simbol 

• Upvote 1

Yep. Here in Germany you can buy them already delidded. Don’t know about other countries. 

Would go for a delidded 8700k or a 8 Core i9. 

A core i9 would be pointless for flight sims at the moment, clock speed over cores. 8700k has both, perfect chip for the money. Coffee Lake shouldn't get too hot, i9s are a whole different story, as long as you have a fairly competent cooler (like not the stock one)  and don't push like 1.4v through it.

Agreed, I'm going to give the 8700k a go.  At least, when De8auer has s delid tool made up!  I'm still amazed that the 6700k dropped over 20c at stress load with conductonaut compound under the lid.  

10 minutes ago, OneWhoKnocks53 said:

Agreed, I'm going to give the 8700k a go.  At least, when De8auer has s delid tool made up!  I'm still amazed that the 6700k dropped over 20c at stress load with conductonaut compound under the lid.  

Mine went from 92c at 4.6Ghz (with a custom loop water cooled PC) under load down to 46c, I used the De8auer to delid my 6700k and liquid metal under the lid as the thermal compound.

Unbelievable how bad Intel is delivering their ships.

Simbol 

7 hours ago, Tanguy SEHA said:

Ok thank you :)

I don't know why but I though that for the flight sim, the matters was the perfs on single core

I read that the 8700K excels in single thread performance as well

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

10 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

A core i9 would be pointless for flight sims at the moment, clock speed over cores.

The i9 is pretty good in overclocking ;)

The 8700K is going to be the best CPU going forward. It just hits a perfect trifecta between price, single-core speed and the amount of cores. Though as a few people have mentioned, I would highly recommend getting it delidded, as that's its biggest weakness, like with all new Intel CPUs. Personally buying mine pre-delidded from Caseking, that also means you retain the 2 year warranty through them, instead of pissing it out the window and having to do the work yourself. 

As for your question about the 8700K being better than the 7700K? In terms of raw IPC numbers, probably not, as they about equally fast. In that scenario, the benefit come from either being able to offload running apps onto the other cores, generally more overhead for other tasks and just being that tad more future proof. Considering the 8700K will become the main consumer chip going forward, buying a 7700K now seems daft unless it gets thrown in your direction for practically no money.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Well, as long as the default boost is 4.6GHz and it is delivered with this crappy default cooling solution, I do not think that there is any need for delidding the 8700K, irrespective from the temperature. This is anyway mainly a psychological thingy, it is completely irrelevant if your CPU runs at 60°C under full load or at 80°C, as long as you have a good air flow in your case. Of course, if you then overclock and reach 90°C or above, the story gets different...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

51 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

The 8700K is going to be the best CPU going forward. It just hits a perfect trifecta between price, single-core speed and the amount of cores. Though as a few people have mentioned, I would highly recommend getting it delidded, as that's its biggest weakness, like with all new Intel CPUs. Personally buying mine pre-delidded from Caseking, that also means you retain the 2 year warranty through them, instead of pissing it out the window and having to do the work yourself. 

As for your question about the 8700K being better than the 7700K? In terms of raw IPC numbers, probably not, as they about equally fast. In that scenario, the benefit come from either being able to offload running apps onto the other cores, generally more overhead for other tasks and just being that tad more future proof. Considering the 8700K will become the main consumer chip going forward, buying a 7700K now seems daft unless it gets thrown in your direction for practically no money.

Agree,  spot  on