Sign in to follow this  
Tanguy SEHA

Is Coffee lake worth the upgrade for flight sim?

1 hour ago, westman said:

Sky, Kaby, CoffeLake have the same IPC if you set up equal frq 4.0 or 4.5ghz , same mem settings.

the CPUZ singletread bench with this CPUS with proper memsetup at 4.8-5.0ghz 570-590 points

my  7700k set up for flightsim is 620 points with the CPUZ single tread.

offtopic the I9 have little better IPC at the same frq and mem settings approx 3%

the 8600k and 8700k is good buys for P3D.

My 7900X at 4.5GHz all cores (1.120V manually), HT off (this is how I use it for now):

POM3bao.jpg

At 4.8 GHz all cores (1.299V auto), HT off (easily reach 81 degrees during CPU-Z benchmark with AIO X62):

FyLaqx5.jpg        Mm86NH1.jpg

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

For people which have the 7700K it might not be such a big benefit to update their system now...

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

2 hours ago, Vali said:

For people which have the 7700K it might not be such a big benefit to update their system now...

Well, correct me if I'm wrong but I think this applies to almost any consumer-oriented product, doesn't it? For example: cellphones, vehicles even, etc. Of course, there will be some exceptions but most likely you won't see a substantial change from one generation / model to the immediately next. Plus, realistically speaking, if one does an important investment in a high-end computer, for example, and it performs really well, one won't be planning to upgrade as soon as the next models of hardware release unless there was really a substantial increase in performance. Again, there are exceptions, but personally once I upgrade my computer I plan to keep it for a good 3 or 4 years. I've read here from people who has kept their machines for more than that (3rd / 4th generation) and are still happy with them, hesitating to upgrade.

From what I hear, Coffee lake IPC is the same as Kaby Lake it just has two extra cores.

In addition, Intel expedited the release but the new Z370 chipset wasn't ready, so the Z370 chipset you get is basically the previous Z270 chipset tuned for extra cores. Hence no extra PCIe lanes.

Intel intend to release a new chip-set in the near future. So expect new motherboards with additional features and more PCIe lanes then. I suspect this may irritate a lot of people. Would have made more sense for Intel to have waited a few months and done the job properly.

There's more on the above in Tom Logan's video from OC3D. He was told that the reason Intel expedited the launch. was nothing to do with Ryzen, it was due to the negative opinions been directed at Intel. 

33:26 in the video. 

Except the cheap thermal paste, the core speed is still for now an advantage for Intel, more than the PCIe lanes being as a disadvantage. ECC might be an issue also but not on a large scale. Also they reduced the prices of i9 (for example for 7900x which I got, it was with 30 euros cheaper than the 1950x).

1950x is a nice CPU, better in many aspects, the other Ryzens too, it was hard for me to choose, but as many apps and games still depend a lot of the single core speed, Intel still has its margin. Bad thing we can not use them at their full potential, true. 

To come back to 8700K, I consider it a good option for gaming and people which now want to update their old system. And hopefully competition will bring some real benefits.

I suppose in the near future both will have enough cores on offer and then it gets back to the core speed and architecture...

Valentin Rusu

20 minutes ago, Vali said:

To come back to 8700K, I consider it a good option for gaming and people which now want to update their old system. And hopefully competition will bring some real benefits.

I suppose in the near future both will have enough cores on offer and then it gets back to the core speed and architecture...

I'm waiting for comparison of 8700k to 7900x in P3D,

8700k is cheaper.

Thanks, 

I think that 8700K will perform in P3D better due the fact that even with the Intel cheap TIM  it is a more overclockable CPU :) Not sure about autogen though...if 4 cores more will make some difference (as P3D distributes this workload on all cores).

Valentin Rusu

Just now, Vali said:

I think that 8700K will perform in P3D better due the fact that even with the Intel cheap TIM  it is a more overclockable CPU :) Not sure about autogen though...if 4 cores more will make some difference (as P3D distributes this workload on all cores).

What if I can easily o/c both to 4.9-5.0GHz /(binned and delidded). So the frequency is the same.

Then more cache perhaps will make the difference, also 7900x supports quad channel memory, compared with 8700K which supports only 2 channels. But it costs 3 times more :) Lets see when the first P3D results with the 8700K will show up.

• Upvote 1

Valentin Rusu

I thought that the 8700K having the (more or less) same speeds, if slightly improved, as the 7700K but with 50% more cores would be a no-brainer leap forward for FS, but it seems that what matters to P3D is so less clear than that.

I am ready for a jump, a real jump, but at this point, with the limited Coffee Lake information at hand, I don't see anything worth risking a complete new system on yet.

My Sandy Bridge 2700K still runs 4+4 threads of P3D effortlessly at near 5.0 that fully utilizes the overclocked GTX1080 at + or - 100%.

Change for hardly noticeable change sake alone is not worth it.

But still ready to jump, if there is something worth landing on that I won't regret a few months down the road.

Indecision, indecision, indecision...

Kind regards, 

All I would say I think GPU`s are going to have a bigger impact on the new sims, more than CPU`s , talking to the devs in flight sim show last weekend they are pushing for more GPU dependency, which makes sense as GPU`s will become more powerful and there`s a new chip in the pipeline and DDR6, the single core of the CPU has peaked so the future is it 48 core CPU`s in a few years.

In toms game test the 7700k topped out the new chips in some games, no 40% improvement claimed by intel.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I have only one P3D licence, its on my 7700k system

shall finish the I9 7920 build as soon as i can , the cooling not ready yet.

acoording 8700k have only a ES sample no retail , think Intel finnaly get the HEDT cpu.s with better IPC then mainstream cpus.

I gone go for the I9 for siminng, but not sure the I9 or 8700k gone be faster then my 7700k system.

Fractal Define S, AIO X61,Asus Z270 IX Apex,2x8 GB galax, Asus Strix 1080TI OC

My CPUZ Bench 7700K

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, westman said:

I have only one P3D licence, its on my 7700k system

shall finish the I9 7920 build as soon as i can , the cooling not ready yet.

acoording 8700k have only a ES sample no retail , think Intel finnaly get the HEDT cpu.s with better IPC then mainstream cpus.

I gone go for the I9 for siminng, but not sure the I9 or 8700k gone be faster then my 7700k system.

Fractal Define S, AIO X61,Asus Z270 IX Apex,2x8 GB galax, Asus Strix 1080TI OC

My CPUZ Bench 7700K

We are waiting for your comparisons (7700k, 7920x, 8700k) in p3d,

I understand 7920x is slightly faster in multi-core speed than 7900x, but 7900x is slightly faster in single core, is that right? 

Thanks,

29 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

We are waiting for your comparisons (7700k, 7920x, 8700k) in p3d,

I understand 7920x is slightly faster in multi-core speed than 7900x, but 7900x is slightly faster in single core, is that right? 

Thanks,

singlecore is equal with same frq , can i get the 7920x to 5ghz with HT off it gone perform as the 7900X @5gz in singlecore and close to a 7900x with ht on in multitread , you only get approx 25% each core with HT.

example a 8600k 6core no HT on this cpu, gone be faster then a 7700k ( like a 5 core cpu) with HT on multitread apps.

another thing is that you lose a little single tread performance with HT on approx 0.5-0,8% not much but its there.