Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

Question about Windows 10 Administrator Rights

I’m having an issue with the PMDG Operations Center and it could be related to admin rights in my PC. I’ve only just run into this issue now, I’ve never had any issue updating anything before whether automatic or manually. The Ops Ctr ignores the command to update the 3 aircraft I have in P3D v4. 

I had my PC built at a local computer store chain and had very specific instructions as to how I wanted the OS, which at that time was Windows 7 x64 and later upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.  At one point I was installing an app and was having issues and as I dug a little deeper I saw that although I was installing as admin my user account truly was not the actual admin of the OS.  Is this typically how the user accounts are laid out? Is this what is referred to as the hidden admin account or was my OS installed improperly?

As you can see by the screenshot there is an administrator folder under users which leads me to think that my username "Robert" is truly not the actual admin.  Is there any way to fix this if that is actually the case?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nakwoauoyfhdo3g/Screenshot 2017-10-02 16.17.39.png?dl=0

Thanks for your help.

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

Windows 10 is doing just what it was designed to do. Google how to access the hidden admin account, and how to use it. Windows doesn't automatically give users unfettered accounts for their own good. The vast majority of users don't need elevated accounts. But some do.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

The first user is an admin so that it can add users and maintain the PC. There is already a bunch of Admins on Windows that do the housekeeping. If we (or other software) add or use special admins then we run the risk of apps installing incorrectly and with the wrong permissions.

Everything to the OS and System can be done by that first user, bar none.

Very few if any User apps need admin privileges, only the installer or program that makes system settings..

Being an Admin "Acquires Privileges" - this does not guarantee obtaining "Permission" - the big misunderstanding in the FS world.

When it's write permission that's needed for an app we should grant permission (Modify) to the group using that app, mainly the Users group - or rather the installer should set that up if it insists on installing into a Read only area.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Subnotes:

The reason we are told to install the FS into a user created folder is because that folder will be owned by the creator and have Modify access, the Authenticated Users group will also have Modify access. Since by logging into a Windows network we become a member of the Authenticated Users group and can access that folder.

With the secure Programs Files folders these are for local users logged in users, the Users group does not have Modify access and so it's a simple task to check that Modify Allow box in the Users group if need be for any app.

The Flight Simulators don't need Modify access for the Users in the Program Files folder, only those apps installing into those folders or into the FS folder that are accessed by the member of the group - you.

Warnings:

Install everything as a regular user

Making special admins or installer users and logging in as them and installing software almost guarantees a problem down the line.

Making adjustments to privileges and permissions to individual User accounts is a disaster waiting to happen.

"Install everything as a regular user"

Log into the regular account and run the installer app, if it requires privileges it will elevate to whatever set of privileges it requires and perform a normal install - the install they tested at the software company.

If we see an icon with the shield this will automatically launch as admin and make system settings.

If we are told to run an app with admin privileges then we check the Run as Admin box in the icon properties.

We don't need anything special, if we do we run the risk of software not working as intended.

Why do some apps install read/write files in a read only Program Files folder? And why do some apps install into the FS folder?

Some apps date back to Windows XP. Back then the initial User account (remember the first account can do it all) also had Modify permission to Program Files folders but regular users did not as they are today. This was to facilitate administering the OS but fooled the app builders to thinking all users had Modify access. Microsoft removed that for security purposes so to remind the app builder when he test that there is no regular Modify permission there.

Some addons continue to do this because they acquired software back then to simulate FMCs or whatever that worked in this way and have no choice. Some were developed to read back purposefully into the FS folder structure and again are stuck that way running from an FS subfolder.

Thanks for your input fellas.  Here's one issue that has come up after PMDG, and I am afraid to say many other dev's not listening as they did not keep their product installations out of the main Prepar3D v4 folder like LM intended them to do.  I think I would have a much easier time rectifying the issue if everything remained outside the P3D v4 main root.

Contained in the Administrator folder under AppData Local and Roaming are Lockheed Martin and PMDG folders, not sure if they should even be in there.  What a mess.

I followed PMDG's advice to change my username to Administrator but that has not resolved the issue with the PMDG Operations Center.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-user-account-type-windows-10

\Robert Hamlich/