Sign in to follow this  
svfranchini

NG3? MAX?

5 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

Got a source?

Look through Robert's posts between the 747 v3 release and the last P3D V4 platform update. Cant be bothered to right now but its there. Happened right in summer I think. I should start bookmarking these posts in the future.

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

2 minutes ago, warriorpilot said:

Got to tell you. If anyone ever pays the 5 Million tag for a PMDG plane should get a free of everything they make when ever that person wants.  

Now that's an idea! Does someone have a small loan of 5 million dollars available by any chance? :laugh:

3 minutes ago, captainsazzman said:

Look through Robert's posts between the 747 v3 release and the last P3D V4 platform update. Cant be bothered to right now but its there. Happened right in summer I think. I should start bookmarking these posts in the future.

I'll look, thanks! Let me know if you stumble upon it.

1 hour ago, scandinavian13 said:

You have Norton, Malwarebytes, and Defender? For quite some time, it has been the recommendation of the security community to have - at most - one solution on your computer. More primitive AV software would actually start attacking the other AV program because it was another program on your computer that would start to quarantine/delete things, which it would take as an attack. With Defender being built-in, people have relaxed that stance a bit, but the security community has really embraced Defender as opposed to the other solutions for home users. There's really no reason for anything else.

The assertion that aftermarket AV keeps you safe is entirely notional. It does nothing that Defender won't do, along with being smart about where you're putting your information (e.g. making sure you're not throwing personal information into insecure, non-HTTPS, unverified sites - something that AV really won't prevent you from doing - aftermarket or not), and not browsing to sketchy sites.

Sorry for the rant, but aftermarket AV was getting bad back in 2004. Now they're downright awful, and people seem to still blindly accept the idea that they're helpful, while the programs routinely prevent legitimate programs from running (and occasionally outright delete them), often without even notifying you that it has done anything...all at the extreme expense of your computer's processing power.

Thanks Kyle,

I have been wondering about that for some time.  However, I have been the victim of at least two significant attacks over the years that crippled my machine and an attack that crippled my wife's computer.  Malwarebytes picks up things that Norton AV doesn't  I have been consideration to going just down to MB and Defender, but I don't know that much about Defender. I also know that NAV has the tools to clean up the system after being hit.  I just hate doing a Format C:/ and reinstalling Windows....

I didn't ask for Defender, it just turned itself on.  Go figure.

It's always time to reassess. 

Thanks again!

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

30+ years doing professional IT Systems Security (retired now).  Norton has always been a VERY AGGRESSIVE anti-virus program, designed more for a commercial user or a network administration role.  It has ALWAYS caused problems for the home computer "gaming community" simply because of it's design...it will flag and prevent the type of files we "gaming" and simulation users need to run in our sims...such as .EXE files and others that a commercial network environment would not want allowed to run outside of what was authorized by the network administrators.

As for Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, and CCleaner (and others that are typical), if you are running Windows 10 and Defender, you do not need these running "real time" anymore.  Microsoft finally got it right with Defender in Windows 10.  But what you may STILL want to do is have them installed on your computer and run each of them MANUALLY at least once a month (don't run them "live" or they will conflict with Defender and each other).  Defender will prevent the serious malware stuff from getting you in real-time, but won't necessarily stop the "harassment" stuff that will still accumulate on your computer...tracking cookie stuff to target advertisements, etc you don't want either.  Run Malwarebytes, Spybot, and CCleaner once a month to "clean" that stuff out and keep your computer from becoming "bloated" with it.

And I'm sure some will disagree with me, and that's OK if they want to, but you should run the CCleaner Registry Cleaner too.  Just make sure you choose "Create a Backup" first when asked...just in case you might end up with a corrupted registry (I've never needed any of the backups it created to "save" a corrupted registry after running the cleaner...CCleaner has never caused a corrupted registry for me).  You would be amazed how much "junk entries" you end up with in your Windows Registry just from your everyday use of your computer.  And NO...Windows never has been...and still isn't...very good at keeping an up-to-date CLEAN registry all by itself.

• Upvote 3

Rick Ryan

ESET is not a bad one when it comes to AV programs. We run it at work but I don't bother on my home computer. I just use defender.

Guys, seriously???

there is a real chance to have a 737-MAX by PMDG and you are talking about anti-virus software??? :-D

Edit: Phil Tereny

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, medic89 said:

there is a real chance to have a 737-MAX by PMDG and you are talking about anti-virus software??? :-D

Exactly!

37 minutes ago, medic89 said:

Guys, seriously???

Edit: Phil Tereny

If you were one of those tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theory nut jobs who views everything with suspicion, you could take the view that since the discussion on AV software on this thread was kicked off in large part by a PMDG staff member, and it did nicely sideline the discussion about PMDG being in the process of making a new 737 and having let something slip by accident, then you really could run with that lol.

What's that unmarked black Hughes 500 doing hovering outside my window? :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I am encouraged by the recent change log to the OC. It does mention a NG3/MAX/GVAS.

"<03OCT17> 1.17.27 Added: PMDG BAe JS4100 P3D v3/P3D v4 functionality Added: Preliminary handling changes for NG3/MAX/GVAS/Data Management processes. Added: Preliminary handling for single version, platform aware product dlls."

Greg

• Upvote 1

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Let's face it, we've known for a long time now that PMDG will eventually be updating the NGX.

We need to settle down, remain patient and get on with life.

Ryan John

21 minutes ago, CoRbYChIlLeD said:

euhm.. no? :P xD

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CoRbYChIlLeD said:

Where's the fun in that?

• Upvote 3

Well, they did not claim otherwise so far. I'm sure they read these topics everytime and decided not to post anything.

If GVAS was indeed a typo, meaning GBAS, ABAS, SBAS and whatever RNPs and data link stuff, they could have perfectly said so. But they did not.

This or they are actually enjoying themselves with popcorn and 3D glasses. 

Santiago de Larminat