Sign in to follow this  
Frans1949

Cannot create child window

Hello,

I have anew PC Icore i7 7700 CPU @360GHz

RAM 8 GB W10 Home 64 bit

NVDIA 750Ti 8GB

I have reinstalled FSX-SE 4 times with a fully new install. All left overs where removed.

On a new HD installed. The same airplanes as before on my old sytem also W10 but other motherboard and a i3 intel card.

Now I have regulary (once a day and sometimes with starting FSX the message : Cannot create childwindow.

I try to search and google but no result.

When during flight i open the menubar the message comes again and flightsim close itself.

Anyone can help me as on steam they asked me to update my drivers but they are and furter no comment.

Waiting any help from this community to help me proper flying again.

Addons I use are PMDG, Aerosoft Airbus and CRJ700/900, Qualitywings 787, Dash8-400/ FSC9 as nav tool, AS2016 and GSX.

Frans van Zantbeek

I'm not sure, did you get that message if you installed FSX-SE with all add-on DLC unchecked, and before installing any addons. Do you re-install on truly fresh folders?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Make sure you are logged on to FSX-SE/Steam.  I would suspect if you are not logged on as the user, it cannot create the folders.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

I'm not sure, did you get that message if you installed FSX-SE with all add-on DLC unchecked, and before installing any addons. Do you re-install on truly fresh folders?

FSX-SE has no DLC button. So is not available. And yes I have a new SSD disk for steam only.

23 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Make sure you are logged on to FSX-SE/Steam.  I would suspect if you are not logged on as the user, it cannot create the folders.

Jiim,

You can only play when you are logged in to Steam. Otherwise FSX will not start when not logged in.

40 minutes ago, Frans1949 said:

FSX-SE has no DLC button. So is not available. And yes I have a new SSD disk for steam only.

OK so you have no DLC purchased.

The installation onto any fresh disk for steam only does not mean a fresh install. The working set of user files is stored on the OS drive, these will alter the way the sim works if they are not removed.

You said installed four times. Did you try with the sim in stock form, no addons, and you found you still get the message. The message is to do with a program, possibly an addon, trying to pop up a dialog box.

2 hours ago, Frans1949 said:

Now I have regulary (once a day and sometimes with starting FSX the message : Cannot create childwindow.

I just read into that a little more carefully; are you seeing this message only during running the sim?

17 hours ago, SteveW said:

I just read into that a little more carefully; are you seeing this message only during running the sim?

Hi Steve,

Yes only when running the sim. 

18 hours ago, SteveW said:

OK so you have no DLC purchased.

The installation onto any fresh disk for steam only does not mean a fresh install. The working set of user files is stored on the OS drive, these will alter the way the sim works if they are not removed.

You said installed four times. Did you try with the sim in stock form, no addons, and you found you still get the message. The message is to do with a program, possibly an addon, trying to pop up a dialog box.

I will do again a full clean of all steam and fsx related folders files from my PC run then again a cleaner and try again to set it up today. Then run the sim after any add-onn I install to see when it start to happen.

Thanks for your input

Frans

Maybe even though you re-installed, the sim picked up settings from the user files.

Can you try for a test running with the dll.xml renamed temporarily - go to:

C:\Users\Frans1949\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

change dll.xml to dll.xml.sav

Use a stock plane. It's possible a message box is trying to appear from somewhere.

Also there is exe.xml, look at that too it starts exe applications.

If you uninstall/reinstall there can be a few folders that keep information and set you up the same each time.

On 5-10-2017 at 8:55 AM, SteveW said:

If you uninstall/reinstall there can be a few folders that keep information and set you up the same each time.

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your quick respons to my request.

I have found the problem.

It was W10 that has activated: " Insider".

I disabled that feature and reinstalled W10 and now  it is running again perfect.

My VAS usage with all my addons airplanes(PMDG, Qualitywings 787, CRJ700/900 Airbus and Dashq8/400  and ORBX and GSX, AS2016 and REX tectures is now 1997 MB with all sliders to max.

Only I am looking for a proper A1 traffic program that will work proper with the Weather.

Thanks again and have a nice weekend

Frans van Zantbeek

On 10/6/2017 at 6:20 AM, Frans1949 said:

I have found the problem.

It was W10 that has activated: " Insider".

I disabled that feature and reinstalled W10 and now  it is running again perfect.

Strange "fix".  Windows 10 did not activate "Insider", you or someone else had to activate it - https://insider.windows.com/en-us/.  Cannot believe activating 'Insider' would have caused this issue.  Reinstalling W10 and the FSX-SE was the actual fix because disabling that feature evidently did not fix it (you disabled Insider and then reinstalled W10).  Searching the Internet, I could find no fix.  Lockheed Martin said they believed it was caused by a joystick and will fix it in a future update of P3D - http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=113593&sid=477710f294297d758ab682547e012d3f&start=30.  Perhaps they did as that was in 2015 but we saw the error pop up in 2016 and one of AVSIM's Moderators, Elaine Poppet, found the solution - https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122897. But it does not look like that solution fixed it.  Steam had no specific solution for this problem but there was a post directing Steam users to a bunch of FSX-SE fixes but none specifically for the child window issue - https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/1496741765127637931/.  So now we have one "fix".  Reinstall W10 and do not activate "Insider"?

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10