Sign in to follow this  
claude_rozsa

Compatibility between Ms FSX addons and scenery with FSX-SE

Good morning,

the question I'm asking has probably been dealt already but I did not find answers during my search. I may buy FSX-SE but my problem is to know precisely if my MS FSX addons i.e. planes and scenery especially those I paid for will be recognized and compatible by the new version? I'd be glad and grateful if one of you could give me a clear answer to that question.

Thanks in advance

Claude

there are a few exceptions, but like 95% of things work just fine. under the hood it is basically the same engine so in a lot of cases the only difference is the installers had to be updated to find the right directories in the case where people had both versions installed. if you completely uninstall fsx and go for an fsx-se only setup then old stuff without updated installers will work just fine too. pretty much most of the major add-on makers have updated all their stuff to work with both. if you have questions about a particular scenery or plane you could list it (or try contacting the developer.) off the top of my head the only thing that currently doesn't work is a few of the older pmdg like the js-41 and md-11 and i think that may be changing for the js-41

good luck! fsx-se is a nice improvement over the original it is a lot more stable and slightly better performance also.

cheers,-andy crosby

Hello Claude.

You didn't provide a product, so it's a challenge to provide you with a clear answer.  ;)

The best think to do is Google your product and "FSX:SE" and again with "FSX Steam".

Best wishes.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Pretty much what Andy said. I will reinforce his comment about uninstalling FSX first including registry entries and entries in appdata. This way when you install the Steam edition rather than create a FSX-SE folder (if it finds a trace of a previous FSX install it will create this FSX-SE folder) it will create a FSX folder making it much more straight forward to install your older products.

Should your add-on installer give you the choice of installing for either a FSX or FSX-Steam Edition, choose FSX.

Cheers,

howevr

Pretty  much every FSX add-on will work with FSX-SE but you will probably have to manually point the installer at the correct folder, which is easy enough to do. In fact, I've only ever had one FSX add-on which I couldn't install in FSX-SE, and that was Ultimate Terrain Europe, but it didn't bother me since I found Ultimate Terrain Europe 2 did so just fine and of course is better than the first version.

It's not the same the other way around though, many FSX-SE purchases made through Steam cannot be so easily installed in other sims, but to be honest, if you have FSX-SE, you'll be wanting to ditch FSX, since the SE version is a massive improvement over the original in every respect, it runs faster, looks better, has less problems with VAS and needs no patching or tweeks other than to ensure simconnect is properly installed in it, which is easy to do.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi Everybody,

Many thanks to all of you for such details. To answer DaveCT2003 I possess the FSX professionnal and Acceleration pack latest version before MS decided to close its studios. For a few years I have not used the game due to personal and health problems.

I reinstalled the game this week and had multiple problems with the menus and related short cuts, mainly crashes while saving flights which drove me mad! I tried to solve them applying the different solutions proposed here or on different websites without success and this motivates me to change to the Steam edition. But as I say I would not like to throw away tons of addons (planes, sceneries, etc) some as you may imagine costly.

I have a backup of the installed addons so it will not be difficult for most of them to implement them on the new software. I'm not a newbie in software (used computers and developed software since 1972 for financial analysis and was considered a mad guy by my french colleagues at that time!!!).

If I understand correctly Spesimen's advice, I can uninstall totally FSX and the related folders and after installing the Steam edition will have no problems to add to it in the correct folders the airplanes and sceneries I possess.

As a precision my Steam edition will be installed on my Windows 7 Ultimate boot. I prefer to use Windows 10 pro for new software totally dedicated to this OS. I did that for Adobe Creative Cloud which I use for editing my videos. Moreover I dedicate a special disk to FSX. Tell me if these decisions would present a problem.

I may sound very cautious but I'm always skeptic with the software producers tendency to say that things are great in the best of the worlds as far as their products are concerned!LOL!

Claude

14 hours ago, claude_rozsa said:

I have a backup of the installed addons so it will not be difficult for most of them to implement them on the new software. 

although it is great to have backups, i would recommend checking for updated versions of any addons before you install them. if it has been a few years some of them are likely to have undergone alot of changes. some of the products out there like PMDG and OrbX have completely changed how they install and update their software. and if something isn't working the first question you will be asked is are you using the latest version :)

good luck and happy simming

cheers,-andy crosby

Thanks Andy, I was of course speaking of free addons, those I paid for should obviously be checked to get their update.
I'll begin this tomorrow.Now it's 10pm  in Paris, time to go to see Morpheus!lol!

Good morning Andy,

Just a last question would you install Steam on windows 7 or windows 10, considering that I will completely uninstall Ms Fsx to prevent any problems and interference?

Claude

13 hours ago, claude_rozsa said:

Just a last question would you install Steam on windows 7 or windows 10, considering that I will completely uninstall Ms Fsx to prevent any problems and interference?

hmm i don't think it really matters for fsx-se, i think it runs properly on either OS nowadays.

personally i usually only upgrade my OS when i build a new system, but that's partly because i'm just lazy, and partly becuase i'm from the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school . but eventually MS is gonna drop win7 support so if you're starting on a clean system maybe win10 is better for long term

cheers,-andy 

8 hours ago, spesimen said:

hmm i don't think it really matters for fsx-se, i think it runs properly on either OS nowadays.

personally i usually only upgrade my OS when i build a new system, but that's partly because i'm just lazy, and partly becuase i'm from the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school . but eventually MS is gonna drop win7 support so if you're starting on a clean system maybe win10 is better for long term

cheers,-andy 

Well as I said I reinstalled Win7 when I've decided at last to also implement WIn10 a few days before it stopped being free. So I did a dual boot for the reason that I was in the middle of an editing project under Adobe Creative Cloud CC 2014. My rule is never to change the version of the software in the middle of a project as the risk of incompatibility is very real. A guy I know made the terrible mistake and his whole project could not be finished three days before he had to deliver the video to his customer! When I'll be finished with my video editing, i'll transfer to 2017 version. Here with FSX it's not the same problem apart some of the addons so as you say in the long run Win7 will no more be maintained so I'll install a full new version under Win10 and erase FSX on Win7.

Thanks again

Claude

Hi Claude

This is Angelo

You sent me an email about the 2 runways in LGSA.

I fixed the problem but I can't send it because it is undeliverable.

contact me . angelo1122@hotmail.com