Sign in to follow this  
cram31337

VFR approach / landing intentions at towered field

Good Evening All;

I'm not sure if this is a procedure issue  with what I am doing or an issue with Pilot2ATC...

While flying VFR on approach into KCMA:

1. I place a call to tower on 128.2 when 20 miles out:
"Caravan 7BR; with you at four thousand feet."
and am responded to by call sign for airspace entry:
"CARAVAN Seven Bravo Romeo  good morning .  Radar Contact.  Altimeter Two Niner Niner One"

2. I then notify tower of my intentions to land:
"CARAVAN Seven Bravo Romeo Would like a Full Stop Landing Runway Two Six;"
No reply from tower.

3. I then try again for the option:
"Seven Bravo Romeo Request The Option Runway Two Six;"
No response from tower. 

I would assume that tower would tell me to enter pattern on left downwind to runway 26 but, I never get any response. 

Any ideas?

Am I doing something wrong in this situation or do you think this is a bug? 

Thanks All;

MAO

The two phrases that I get a response from tower are "Tower, (callsign) to land" and "Tower, (callsign) at (altitude) for vfr pattern entry runway (runway)". Give those a try.

You can also review the SayIt phrases and select one close to what you want to say.  The grammar can only recognize a subset of the thousands of ways you could initiate contact with a Tower.

I was actually looking at the SayIt pop-up in order to know what was acceptable to say.

Request->Landing Intentions-> "(Callsign) would like a full stop landing (runway)."

If it is listed here shouldn't I be able to verbally say it and have it respond accordingly?

@sammy031 I will have to try: "Tower, (callsign) to land" and "Tower, (callsign) at (altitude) for vfr pattern entry runway (runway)" 

The Landing Intentions phrases are for use in the pattern.  There's a set of phrases under Request->Approach that are meant for use when approaching the airport and making first contact with the tower.  Here are some examples:

Honda One Victor Bravo inbound at  Two Thousand feet for Visual Straight in to Three Five Left

Honda One Victor Bravo inbound at  Two Thousand feet for VFR Pattern Entry Two Seven Center

And one I just added to the SayIt grammar for the next update, but it should work now if said verbally.  This one lets you call without knowing the active runway:

Honda One Victor Bravo inbound at Two Thousand for Landing on the Active.

Dave, how difficult is it to add phrases to be recognized when spoken verbally? I'm thinking about VFR phrases and incorporating the 4 Ws (Who you are taking to, who you are, where you are, and what you want to do and any information you have). This would apply to contacting the tower inbound. For example,

Tower (who you are taking to) Honda One Victor Bravo (who you are) is 10 miles South at three thousand five hundred (where you are)  landing with Golf (what you want to do and any information you have.

I realize that P2A doesn't validate the ATIS code, but it would be nice for the speech to be recognized as that is required in the real world.

This is just a question, this is an awesome product and I enjoy using it immensely. Thank you for all your hard work..