Sign in to follow this  
mawibo

Multiple notification e-mails

Hi,

I'm getting multiple notification e-mails for the same posts lately. This morning (UTC 10:57 hours) I received 13(!) exactly the same e-mails about 1 new post in the Prepar3D forum that I'm following. I checked my notification settings, but I cannot find any setting that could cause this behavior. Any advice would be appreciated.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Hi Maarten,

That's certainly strange and you should have received one notification.  Obviously our system messed up but I have no idea how to fix it or figure out what went wrong. :blush: The system is set up to send out one notification per post in the topic and not 13.  The only suggestion I have is to click on your Display Name in upper right corner of the site and select "Manage Followed Content" and look for any glitch (which appears you have already done).  Hopefully it will not happen in the future.  If it does, I would turn it off for that topic, go to your browser settings and empty the cache, shutdown your browser and then restart.  Apologize for the issue and inconvenience.  I know what it is like when you get constant notifications.  My computer is constantly dinging and donging and it is driving me mad. :wacko:

Best regards,

Jim 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

It's not the browser notifications that are a problem, it's the e-mails I'm getting. The e-mails this morning were sent because I follow the Prepar3D forum as a whole, they were not sent because of a specific post that I was following. I've cleared the browser cache nevertheless, but I don't think that was the cause of the problem. Most of the time there's no problem and I only get 1 e-mail when something new is posted in this forum. The above issue is however getting worse lately where I sometimes receive 2, 3, 4, or 5 identical e-mails with the climax of 13 e-mails this morning.

Maarten

Could it be more than one alert set up. So that one responds to the first and sends back to which it is responded by the first in a circular fashion. Instead of sending mails *for ever* the system disallows too many within a short period. 

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

so if the system is busy you get 3 or 4, and if it's idle you get 13.

Hi Steve,

I don't understand what you're saying with:

5 minutes ago, SteveW said:

... So that one responds to the first and sends back to which it is responded by the first in a circular fashion ...

I do have multiple e-mail alerts setup, but they seem to be mutually exclusive (apart from someone I'm following posting new content in a forum I'm following). Whatever my notification setup is, I don't understand how the system can respond by itself to messages it sends out.

Maarten

It wouldn't do it by itself, there would be have to be a responder reinvoking the mail.

Well yes, but who or what would that responder be then? It certainly wasn't me and no one had responded yet to the particular post at that point in time.

Maarten

It's not you it would have to be the result of events local to the system.

You could try disabling each of the alerts in turn to see if there's a difference.

You  could do it by setting mistakes with apps like MDaemon or Exchange. I  expect it's down to a setting in the server.

...it's possible it might clear if you completely remove and then re-set-up your notifications from scratch.

Steve

You have some duplication.  For instance, you have:

You have requested to be notified via e-mail and on your Notification List for new content for thing you follow; someone comments on something I follow; someone quotes a comment or post I made; someone mentions me in a post; someone gives reputation to something I posted.  I have either/or.  I don't have both of them clicked.

Still it does not fully explain why you got 13 e-mails for one post you follow.  Others have not reported this issue and I have never seen it before so I think, as I stated before, this was one of those glitches that happens once in a while.  Think Steve has a good idea to completely remove and then reset your notifications.  Not sure if there is a default.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Those are not duplications. Notifications are browser notifications (i.e. pop-ups when I have the browser open) and e-mails are, well, e-mails. Two different things. I just received two identical e-mails about a post in the PMDG 777 forum. I will reset my settings, as I have done before, but I don't think it will make a difference.

Maarten 

I will have our tech take a look but I do not see how he can trace this and find the issue, if any.

Submit News to AVSIM