Sign in to follow this  
DTG_Cryss

Big Bear Airport Now Available For Flight Sim World

ss_b491e91108da4aa95e06552bbea69d51f9308

The first airport add-on for Flight Sim World, Big Bear features highly detailed buildings, an accurate ground poly, and utilizes Turbulent’ s critically acclaimed Real Flora technology, all of which has been built from the ground up to take full advantage of the rendering technology upgrades in Flight Sim World.

Big Bear City Airport is a large general aviation airport located in Big Bear City in Southern California. The airport, nestled deep within the San Bernardino Mountains to the west of Los Angeles and sits at a staggeringly high altitude of over 6,500 feet (1980m). This provides pilots with challenging departures and arrivals due to reduced engine power and turbulence.

You can pick up Big Bear Airport on Steam for £19.99 / $24.99 / €22,99.

ss_fce6301808d8140817b4ad3d93f1db1afa408

ss_781010c0466114b0c5ce8aab7c9e3f2ff9eb3

• Upvote 4

Dovetail Flight Community Manager: Catch me on Twitch

Looks Great !

Congratulations! You're in the right track !!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Just taken a first test flight and now taxiing around - there's a LOT to see! One thing I have noticed is a flickering 'halo' around the static aircraft and even on the grass as you taxi towards it, something like St Elmo's fire - maybe it's just me?

Set it to dawn spring the PBR is stunning on the runway and tarmac posted some shots on steam.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Just tried it Ray, you're absolutely right! Fantastic detailing!

I've now tried a couple of the default aircraft parked at Big Bear, and I can leave the Mixture Control at 100% at idle without having the engine stall. At 6750ft I expected I'd need to pull the Mixture Control back to at least 50% to keep the engine idling, or be prompted by the 'press Ctrl+X' Flying Tips message.

Edit: I've now tried the JF Arrow and the Mixture Control is the same there - with the added effect (in Outside Spot View) of the whole airfield shaking along with the plane while parked and at idle! Even the trees on the hills in the background are quaking!

I'm also still getting the flickering halo effect where the sunlight reflects on static aircraft, volumetric grass and even the 'user' aircraft in spot view. This doesn't happen at other airfields, I've never seen it before.

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

Set it to dawn spring the PBR is stunning on the runway and tarmac posted some shots on steam.

Are you using any kind of color correction or all those screens are stock colors?

1 hour ago, ca_metal said:

Are you using any kind of color correction or all those screens are stock colors?

I Have to confess I do use reshade but I have posted with and without shading in fact I understand there is a payware version used by some in flight sims and videos on youtube. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

It looks great. How is the performance compared to the default scenery?

2 hours ago, A32xx said:

I've now tried a couple of the default aircraft parked at Big Bear, and I can leave the Mixture Control at 100% at idle without having the engine stall.

I've just tried this in the Cherokee and the Just flight Arrow cut out. The Malibu, the DA40 and RV7 did not cut out at full rich and min throttle. I don't know if this is accurate for those or not, just reporting what mine does.

22 minutes ago, jt8d9a said:

It looks great. How is the performance compared to the default scenery?

For performance I'm still getting 40fps with every slider full right at 4k using fair weather theme. This is the same as I get in England around Manchester using UK2000 airports crowbarred in.

Chris

9 hours ago, tutmeister said:

For performance I'm still getting 40fps with every slider full right at 4k using fair weather theme. This is the same as I get in England around Manchester using UK2000 airports crowbarred in.

Chris

Thanks!

10 hours ago, tutmeister said:

I've just tried this in the Cherokee and the Just flight Arrow cut out.

Aye, mine does too - but when I re-start it, the Mixture Control can be left at 100% the same as the default planes.

I think the Mixture Control depends on the measurement of Above Ground Level altitude instead of Above Seal Level altitude, I've submitted a bug report just in case.