Sign in to follow this  
MIQUEL_7

ntdll.dll CTD P3D v4

Hello, I did again my flight from AMS - LAX and again in 5 hours I had a CTD with ntdll.dll I turned my settings a little bit down as requested before and I reinstalled Windows...

How can I solve this CTD? 

I have checked the CTD Guide from AVSIM but I don't see the ntdll anywhere there... 

Can someone help me please? 

I'd be very gratefull, thanks in advance. 

http://i63.tinypic.com/dmxs43.png

Miguel Pappijn

Belgium, Europe

OS: Windows 10 Professional 64bit. GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MSI RTX 2080 Ti Lightning Z, CPU: i9-9900K, MO: MEG Z390 Godlike ///// Prepar3D v5.3 HTFX: 2. /////

2 hours ago, MIQUEL_7 said:

I have checked the CTD Guide from AVSIM but I don't see the ntdll anywhere there... 

In the Table of Contents, it shows NTDLL.dll is on Page 31.  Click on NTDLL in the Table of Contents and it will take you immediately to page 31.

The probable fixes in the guide are just probable.  I spent a lot of time going around the Internet to see how others had fixed this problem and these were the ones I found.  There are probably other solutions out there but these are the ones I found and decided to share with everyone. 

An overclocked system is the most common cause of the crash and going to "Optimized Defaults" is the number one fix (make sure the Nvidia settings are at default too as they should be as changing the display settings is not required in P3D and a waste of time).  The thing about this "fix" is that P3DV4 will work great for several sessions of using P3D without a crash and then, suddenly, P3D crashes without explanation.  Huh?  What happened?  Then the next time you use P3D you will be able to fly without a crash  When your P3D throws stress on an add-on not developed for P3D, the CPU has to work harder and the CPU voltages used previously suddenly do not work anymore at those voltages.  You messed up your system.  So we suggest changing the CPU voltage by increasing/decreasing it a notch or return it to the default. 

Of course, installing addons manually that were not made for P3DV4 is a strong second as P3D will go absolutely bonkers with wrong textures or incompatible aircraft/scenery.  Or there was an effect and you didn't get that effect in the Effects folder or a gauge in the Gauge folder and P3D wants to see them and, when it cannot find them, it crashes. 

The third would be high settings and I always advise one to remove the P3D.cfg and restart and let the config rebuild and keep the settings at default for awhile.  If there's no crashes, then that was the cause.  If the ntdll.dll error occurs again, then you know it must be something else.

The major problem with your request asking for assistance is the fact you provide little details as if you are hiding a major secret.  This is why I structured the CTD Guide so that you could investigate the crash yourself.  You know what's installed.  You know your settings.  You know what you were flying when you had the ntdll.dll error.  You know what other addons were enabled.  You know whether your drivers for your hardware are up-to-date or not.  You know all that stuff.  We don't.  You left us out.  Still, the best way to fix any CTD is to follow my techniques on page 10 on how to fix any CTD/Freeze in P3DV4.

Good luck with your investigation(s)!

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

55 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

In the Table of Contents, it shows NTDLL.dll is on Page 31.  Click on NTDLL in the Table of Contents and it will take you immediately to page 31.

The probable fixes in the guide are just probable.  I spent a lot of time going around the Internet to see how others had fixed this problem and these were the ones I found.  There are probably other solutions out there but these are the ones I found and decided to share with everyone. 

An overclocked system is the most common cause of the crash and going to "Optimized Defaults" is the number one fix (make sure the Nvidia settings are at default too as they should be as changing the display settings is not required in P3D and a waste of time).  The thing about this "fix" is that P3DV4 will work great for several sessions of using P3D without a crash and then, suddenly, P3D crashes without explanation.  Huh?  What happened?  Then the next time you use P3D you will be able to fly without a crash  When your P3D throws stress on an add-on not developed for P3D, the CPU has to work harder and the CPU voltages used previously suddenly do not work anymore at those voltages.  You messed up your system.  So we suggest changing the CPU voltage by increasing/decreasing it a notch or return it to the default. 

Of course, installing addons manually that were not made for P3DV4 is a strong second as P3D will go absolutely bonkers with wrong textures or incompatible aircraft/scenery.  Or there was an effect and you didn't get that effect in the Effects folder or a gauge in the Gauge folder and P3D wants to see them and, when it cannot find them, it crashes. 

The third would be high settings and I always advise one to remove the P3D.cfg and restart and let the config rebuild and keep the settings at default for awhile.  If there's no crashes, then that was the cause.  If the ntdll.dll error occurs again, then you know it must be something else.

The major problem with your request asking for assistance is the fact you provide little details as if you are hiding a major secret.  This is why I structured the CTD Guide so that you could investigate the crash yourself.  You know what's installed.  You know your settings.  You know what you were flying when you had the ntdll.dll error.  You know what other addons were enabled.  You know whether your drivers for your hardware are up-to-date or not.  You know all that stuff.  We don't.  You left us out.  Still, the best way to fix any CTD is to follow my techniques on page 10 on how to fix any CTD/Freeze in P3DV4.

Good luck with your investigation(s)!

Hey, thanks for your reply. 

I checked my GPU drivers, they are up to date, my add-ons are made for P3D v4 they are all compatible, the add-ons I use are when I always fly; ORBX all European regions, ORBX Vector, ORBX North America, ORBX North California, ORBX South California, FSDreamTeam sceneries and FlyTampa + Aerosoft ones that are all compatible... I turned down my settings but I set them same as another user, now I'm going to try to remove the P3D.cfg and restart it and let P3D rebuild again. 

Miguel Pappijn

Belgium, Europe

OS: Windows 10 Professional 64bit. GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MSI RTX 2080 Ti Lightning Z, CPU: i9-9900K, MO: MEG Z390 Godlike ///// Prepar3D v5.3 HTFX: 2. /////

9 minutes ago, MIQUEL_7 said:

now I'm going to try to remove the P3D.cfg and restart it and let P3D rebuild again. 

That's the easiest fix.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, MIQUEL_7 said:

I checked my GPU drivers, they are up to date

Display drivers should be up-to-date but there are many hardware drivers that need to be updated too.  For instance, USB ports, if out of date and you have a USB device connected, it could cause the NTDLL crash.  The SysBus, SATA Controllers, are just a few of the hardware drivers not updated by Windows 10.  The guide has information on how to check for updated drivers using a freeware program.

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

9 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Display drivers should be up-to-date but there are many hardware drivers that need to be updated too.  For instance, USB ports, if out of date and you have a USB device connected, it could cause the NTDLL crash.  The SysBus, SATA Controllers, are just a few of the hardware drivers not updated by Windows 10.  The guide has information on how to check for updated drivers using a freeware program.

Hey, I have a screenshot that EVERY driver on my system is now up to date, and I found the P3D config, I just remove it? That's not going to cause a problem? 

http://i65.tinypic.com/oiawq8.png

Miguel Pappijn

Belgium, Europe

Guest Mik75

The sim will build a new one, when you delete (save the file elsewhere) the existing cfg file. 

But man, with a complex aircraft addon, every ORBX Europe region, NA, Vector (do you have all the features ticked), and 2 high end airport sceneries, you’re throwing A LOT of stuff at your sim and system, especially for a long haul! 

Everytime I got on of these ntdll.dll errors, the load has just been a bit too much. I got rid of AI traffic (I do most of my flying on IVAO anyways), use the ORBX regions only for low and slow flying, have unticked most of the features (except for the main ones) in Vector, and in over two years, I have never had a CTD during my flights. (that’s in P3Dv3)

1 hour ago, Mik75 said:

The sim will build a new one, when you delete (save the file elsewhere) the existing cfg file. 

But man, with a complex aircraft addon, every ORBX Europe region, NA, Vector (do you have all the features ticked), and 2 high end airport sceneries, you’re throwing A LOT of stuff at your sim and system, especially for a long haul! 

Everytime I got on of these ntdll.dll errors, the load has just been a bit too much. I got rid of AI traffic (I do most of my flying on IVAO anyways), use the ORBX regions only for low and slow flying, have unticked most of the features (except for the main ones) in Vector, and in over two years, I have never had a CTD during my flights. (that’s in P3Dv3)

Hello, I just downloaded a program for activate and deactivate sceneries that I need, and everything is thicked in ORBX Vector except the "Settings" section in "Add-ons" because I don't have FTX Australia yet.

I thought I don't need that scenery config program because we have now P3D v4 (64bit) I thought well finally something that can handle anything. 

I flew a route which was EHAM to TNCM that was 7hours with all ORBX regions and so on, not a single crash... but once I fly to KLAX from EHAM I have a CTD "ntdll.dll" once over Greenland passed just Canada and when I enter USA the crash is there, 5h35m on the dot and CTD...

Miguel Pappijn

Belgium, Europe

yes, I have exactly the same problem  Miquel. I can fly for hours in all directions  but also over Greenland i have the ntdll.dll crash. Flight after Flight.

Had a similar problem with FSX with a certain spot over Denmark. At that time I solved it by deactivating the area "western Europe " scenery EURW in the scenery cfg. So I guessed I had something wrong in one the of default bgl's. (Or would ORBX have anything active in this area ?) Could be that I (or we) now have a similar problem. I was surprised that I never saw anybody reporting this issue.

Interesting to see that you seem to have a similar problem. I flew EHAM/KSFO with  the P3Dv4 / PMDG 747v3.. and you ?

Once I did a trial to have the FSUIPC autosave on and restarted the flight with everytime a smaller interval. Eventually I got over the "red" spot, But it spoiled the experience..

I didn't go any further with testing as I wanted to wait for P3DV4.1

Maybe you could change the thread title to include Greenland ? because I think it is the location rather then a driver  or something. There could be more people with this problem..

b rdgs / Dick

=

1 hour ago, dick said:

yes, I have exactly the same problem  Miquel. I can fly for hours in all directions  but also over Greenland i have the ntdll.dll crash. Flight after Flight.

Had a similar problem with FSX with a certain spot over Denmark. At that time I solved it by deactivating the area "western Europe " scenery EURW in the scenery cfg. So I guessed I had something wrong in one the of default bgl's. (Or would ORBX have anything active in this area ?) Could be that I (or we) now have a similar problem. I was surprised that I never saw anybody reporting this issue.

Interesting to see that you seem to have a similar problem. I flew EHAM/KSFO with  the P3Dv4 / PMDG 747v3.. and you ?

Once I did a trial to have the FSUIPC autosave on and restarted the flight with everytime a smaller interval. Eventually I got over the "red" spot, But it spoiled the experience..

I didn't go any further with testing as I wanted to wait for P3DV4.1

Maybe you could change the thread title to include Greenland ? because I think it is the location rather then a driver  or something. There could be more people with this problem..

b rdgs / Dick

=

Hello Dick, yes I flew EHAM - TNCM in P3D v4 with PMDG 747 Queen of the Skies II, I deleted P3D v3 eventually when P3D v4 came out. I can fly I flew routes from EGCC (Manchester) and EGPF (Glasgow) to anywhere in Europe the furthest route from EGPF was to LGIR (Iraklion) no CTD not a single "ntdll.dll" with PMDG 737NGX. 

Then when I flew all those European routes which are short hauls I decided to fly a long haul from EHAM to TNCM (Sint-Maarten) 7hours with PMDG 747 not a single "ntdll.dll" but then I wanted to go to KLAX (Los Angeles) from EHAM and once over Greenland the CTD came up... I have no Autosave on because my sim freezes every 15 minutes because I set my Autosave to 15 minutes... 

Some say that "ntdll.dll" is a Windows error not with P3D v4... This is very frustrating, I can't fly my 747 continue without having a CTD to overseas like KLAX... it's a shame, I hope in P3D v4.1 this solves the problem but I very doubt it, really frustrating! 

Cheers Miquel. 

Miguel Pappijn

Belgium, Europe

Thanks Miquel,

Well, when you flew to TNCM you didn't fly over Greenland. I flew from EHAM to VHHH and e.g. from YSSY to KLAX. without any problem but I simply do not get past Greenland....I really think location is one part of the problem. I find it hard to believe that we would be the only souls hitting this problem.

When 4.1 is there I will continue to experiment with other aircraft and disable scenery parts. Disabling default scenery solved for me a similar problem in FSX   when I couldn't get past a certain location in Denmark.

Lets stay in touch !

b rdgs / Dick

=

1 hour ago, dick said:

Thanks Miquel,

Well, when you flew to TNCM you didn't fly over Greenland. I flew from EHAM to VHHH and e.g. from YSSY to KLAX. without any problem but I simply do not get past Greenland....I really think location is one part of the problem. I find it hard to believe that we would be the only souls hitting this problem.

When 4.1 is there I will continue to experiment with other aircraft and disable scenery parts. Disabling default scenery solved for me a similar problem in FSX   when I couldn't get past a certain location in Denmark.

Lets stay in touch !

b rdgs / Dick

=

Hello Dick, 

I think I have the solution, someone on the P3D Facebook group told me that this did the trick...

Here is my screenshot: 

142c6z5.png

I did not test it yet, I'll do that on Sunday, just leave this as my settings that were reccomanded from some one from the Facebook group and he did succesfully completed his flights from EGLL to KLAX so yeah... 

Miguel Pappijn

Belgium, Europe

hello Miquel,

Thank you for this fast info. I hope it works.. sounds a bit too easy. But I will try a quick trip over the pond tomorrow and hope for the best.

b rdgs / Dick

Just now, dick said:

hello Miquel,

Thank you for this fast info. I hope it works.. sounds a bit too easy. But I will try a quick trip over the pond tomorrow and hope for the best.

b rdgs / Dick

I know at least we have something to test out...

Let’s hope indeed.

Miguel Pappijn

Belgium, Europe

A scenario like happened to me a few years ago where I got a CTD (ntdll.dll error) at the very same spot in my flight plan from Chicago to St Louis.  I decided to run Process Monitor (page 19 in the CTD Guide) and configured the Process Monitor to run only FSX and FSX addons.  Process Monitor shows everything that is happening while running an application and what is loading.  I have two monitors so put Process Monitor in one monitor and flew FSX in the other.  As soon as I had the crash, I wrote down the time and used Ctrl+E to shutdown Process Monitor.  I went to the time of the crash and saw that MyTrafficX was loading AI so disabled MyTrafficX in the Scenery.cfg and flew the flight again.  This time no crash.  Since then, I now recommend individuals disable all of their add-ons and see if this stops the crashes.  If it does, then it is something in the scenery.cfg and you just need to figure out which add-on is doing it.  I recommend enabling 2-3 add-ons at a time until the crashes start again. 

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM