Sign in to follow this  
MIQUEL_7

ntdll.dll CTD P3D v4

On 19/10/2017 at 8:43 AM, dick said:

You can further specify that the program only logs P3D activity. That reduces the log size.

Okay, just downloaded this after getting sick and tired of the umpteenth CTD caused by this module, the latest after updating FSL's A320X. The screen on this Process Explorer is a plethora of confusion. No idea where or what to look for.

How do I do the above suggestion of P3D activity?

Looks like you are close to reformatting your HDD, reinstalling Windows and then P3DV4.  That's what I did once with a NTDLL/StackHash/NTDLL/StackHash/NTDLL error that would not quit.  Maybe even more than once.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Uncannily, Jim, you must have read my mind, because that was just the line I was culling over. Format-reinstall-etc and thus flush out a rogue ntdll,dll. Makes me wonder why did I not stick to Train Simulators instead !!

48 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Makes me wonder why did I not stick to Train Simulators instead !!

LOL.  They have a new Truck Simulator region - New Mexico - http://blog.scssoft.com/2017/10/new-mexico-dlc-promo-trailer.html

The ntdll.dll is a system file and means something serious is happening.  Some time ago, many got BSOD's with the NTDLL meaning the voltages for their CPU were out of whack.  Depending on the error code, you could zoom in on the issue.  Before you reformat you might want to go to a default P3D.cfg and scenery.cfg and rename the dll.xml so it can be rebuilt.  If that stops the NTDLL, then it is one of those files causing your problem.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for that Jim. Will follow tips.

Truck Simulator indeed. That too would be far too fast for me. No, give me the leisurely trundle of bogeys under me any time! LoL:biggrin:

7 hours ago, vc10man said:

You can further specify that the program only logs P3D activity. That reduces the log size.

You start process monitor with P3D running. . You should see ( on top ) of Process Monitor a command "filter". Select that. Select again filter in the popup. Click on ":Architecture". A list should pop up. Select "Process name". Then after the "is" in the next box you have an empty box. Click on the box and you should see all the processes that are running on you computer. Select P3D, add and you are done. You get a huge list with everything that goes on in your computer. You need to know the exact time your CTD occurs. If you have a relevant CTD entry in your event viewer you should have the exact time. You now search what happened in your system at that time. The result column in the output should give you an indication.

In my case I found a buffer overflow of the soundcard that started the CTD. I would have never thought that my soundcard was the culprit of my trouble... Got it fixed now.

b rdgs / Dick

Thanks a bundle for such a detailed instruction, Dick. Appreciated.

Will try it tonight.

I've had this fault twice this week flying BAW117 LHR-JFK.  Both times the CTD was after crossing into the Gander Domestic FIR and shortly before reaching the Oceanic exit point, first at RIKAL and the second at ELSIR.  Both are close to Newfoundland.

I am aware from several threads on this topic that these CTD's are always at the Canadian border and always on westbound flights.  There are no problems flying eastbound.  This got me thinking that it could well be a scenery issue.  If you load up and depart from a US airport heading east it's quite likely that all of your active US scenery will load whilst you are setting up your aircraft.  However, flying from the UK it's quite likely that the US scenery won't load until you get close.  Maybe the developer will create a trigger to load it at the FIR boundary?  This might explain why it always occurs at the boundary whether you are at Newfoundland, Labrador or farther north.

So what looked like the most likely culprit?  ORBX Vector was my guess.  So I disabled it and set off at 4x speed to the final Oceanic waypoint and then at normal speed towards the Canadian boundary and the Oceanic exit point at ELSIR.  I crossed the boundary, continued to ELSIR and onwards to JFK.  No hint of any problem.

At this stage I'm only cautiously optimistic since this fault can be caused by many things software or hardware related.  The next test will be to fly the whole flight at normal speed and to see what happens.  Fingers crossed.  I'll update here in due course.

• Upvote 1

I was suddenly getting the ntdll and g3d.dll errors around KLAX with Orbx SoCal in P3DV4.  You look a certain way in a certain area and CTD.  It always happened around Manhattan Beach, just south of LAX.  So I went into the scenery and disabled Manhattan Beach.  No matter what I do now, I cannot replicate the crash and I was getting it 100% of the time I was in that area.  Once I was at FL290 over Manhattan Beach and the sim crashed.  So it is possible there are corrupted objects or missing objects in the scenery in that area that caused the crashes.  When there is a call for an object and it cannot be rendered for some reason, it may cause the crash.  FTX/Orbx just updated their Library so maybe that fixed it but doubt it.

I'm glad someone other than myself conducts investigations whenever they get a crash because that's the only way it is going to get fixed or the problem resolved (unless the crash is known and, in that event, the bug should have been fixed a long time ago).

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim

I flew this flight (BAW117) yesterday in real time and it was as smooth as silk.  Not a hiccup or stutter anywhere.  Yesterday's NAT F took me slightly further north and I crossed into Canada over Labrador.  For me, at least, I lay the blame with ORBX Vector and I will keep it disabled from here on.  

You're obviously like me Jim.  I cannot just shrug my shoulders and say 'it's just part of flightsimming'.  Unless I sort it then it's likely to limit my activities 'across the pond' and since a lot of BA's 744 operations are to the US then it stops me flying around 50% of the 744 schedules.  Since the QOTS is fast disappearing in the real world I just want to enjoy her while I can.

Of course, if I encounter the error again, in the same area, then I will report back here.

It worked for me as I have P3D v3 by deleting the Prepar3D.cfg on my Windows 10 machine. Located at C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3. Maybe it is the same thing with the v4 version, then it should be located at C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3d.cfg.

Delete that file and P3D will generate a new one when starting up your P3D client again.
Worked for me on a v3 client.

• Upvote 1

If you fixed it by deleting your P3D.cfg, then your settings were too high.  That's one of the known fixes for the NTDLL.dll error.  I've also fixed an ntdll error by rebuilding my p3d.cfg.

Submit News to AVSIM

On 1/9/2018 at 5:57 AM, Speedbird7 said:

I've had this fault twice this week flying BAW117 LHR-JFK.  Both times the CTD was after crossing into the Gander Domestic FIR and shortly before reaching the Oceanic exit point, first at RIKAL and the second at ELSIR.  Both are close to Newfoundland.

I am aware from several threads on this topic that these CTD's are always at the Canadian border and always on westbound flights.  There are no problems flying eastbound.  This got me thinking that it could well be a scenery issue.  If you load up and depart from a US airport heading east it's quite likely that all of your active US scenery will load whilst you are setting up your aircraft.  However, flying from the UK it's quite likely that the US scenery won't load until you get close.  Maybe the developer will create a trigger to load it at the FIR boundary?  This might explain why it always occurs at the boundary whether you are at Newfoundland, Labrador or farther north.

So what looked like the most likely culprit?  ORBX Vector was my guess.  So I disabled it and set off at 4x speed to the final Oceanic waypoint and then at normal speed towards the Canadian boundary and the Oceanic exit point at ELSIR.  I crossed the boundary, continued to ELSIR and onwards to JFK.  No hint of any problem.

At this stage I'm only cautiously optimistic since this fault can be caused by many things software or hardware related.  The next test will be to fly the whole flight at normal speed and to see what happens.  Fingers crossed.  I'll update here in due course.

Can also add that I’ve just started experiencing the same issue, ctd around the same point on westbound atlantic flights. Did you end up disabling all of vector or was there a particular setting you were able to narrow it down to?

Sorry for jumping on an old thread. 

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4

Same here guys Ntdll.dll crash at a same particular point beside scotland same route EKBI-EKVG fslabs 319, orbx stuff, cpu etc is all fine did this flight 2 times and both of the times it crashed at the same bloody point

The AVSIM CTD Guide, page 34, has several possible solutions to the ntdll.dll error.  There are several in these forums who are having the same problem as you (at the same latitude/longitude and altitude).  We suspect an incompatible object being loaded by the sim at that point.  How can the FSLabs 319 or any aircraft create this error at the same point?  Impossible.  It is an AI or other object that has textures not compatible with your sim.  It is not a too high/low CPU voltage or memory setting as it happens in the exact same spot.  The AVSIM CTD Guide has a method to try to detect incompatibilities.  On page 18, AVSIM CTD Guide, we explain how to use the Process Monitor app.  Before you get to that latitude/longitude, you can pause P3D and then start up Process Monitor so that only P3D processes would show up.  When the sim crashes, you simply go to the Process Monitor app and hit Ctrl+E to stop it and then you can review the results of the last seconds of the flight before the crash to see what was loading.  I had a similar problem several years ago and ran Process Monitor and saw only my AI program, MyTrafficX, was running at the time of the crash.  I disabled MyTrafficX and the crashes at the same spot stopped.

• Like 1

Submit News to AVSIM