Sign in to follow this  
MIQUEL_7

ntdll.dll CTD P3D v4

On 7/10/2017 at 1:29 AM, Jim Young said:

A scenario like happened to me a few years ago where I got a CTD (ntdll.dll error) at the very same spot in my flight plan from Chicago to St Louis.  I decided to run Process Monitor (page 19 in the CTD Guide) and configured the Process Monitor to run only FSX and FSX addons.  Process Monitor shows everything that is happening while running an application and what is loading.  I have two monitors so put Process Monitor in one monitor and flew FSX in the other.  As soon as I had the crash, I wrote down the time and used Ctrl+E to shutdown Process Monitor.  I went to the time of the crash and saw that MyTrafficX was loading AI so disabled MyTrafficX in the Scenery.cfg and flew the flight again.  This time no crash.  Since then, I now recommend individuals disable all of their add-ons and see if this stops the crashes.  If it does, then it is something in the scenery.cfg and you just need to figure out which add-on is doing it.  I recommend enabling 2-3 add-ons at a time until the crashes start again. 

Hello, 

I’m doing the flight AMS -LAX again now with regions from ORBX that I need, disabled all 3rd party airport add-ons, just EHAM and KLAX is enabled. I don’t have MyTraffix X, I use Ultimate Traffic Live, In 5hours time from now, I’ll see if there is a crash or not. 

Miguel Pappijn

Belgium, Europe

OS: Windows 10 Professional 64bit. GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MSI RTX 2080 Ti Lightning Z, CPU: i9-9900K, MO: MEG Z390 Godlike ///// Prepar3D v5.3 HTFX: 2. /////

Since you do not have MyTrafficX, this "fix" does not apply to you.  This happened with an older version of MyTrafficX (5.4c) and the product was upgraded partly because of my finding.  I'm just saying that Process Monitor helped me find out it was MyTrafficX that was causing the CTD. 

Yesterday I ran Process Monitor for P3DV4 and it loads all scenery you have enabled whether you are flying in the area or not.  I saw all of my FSDT scenery and Orbx Germany and photoreal Austria, everything in Scenery/World/Scenery folder, UTX2, and all of MyTrafficX AI and scenery.  Of course, for P3DV4, this is okay as you do not have to worry about running out of VAS but it does increase loading times and increases the chances of something going wrong.  Photoscenery will take up resources (not talking about VAS) as it has to load even if you are not going to use it in your flight plan.

Having the crash occurring over Greenland indicates a problem with the scenery.  Perhaps a static aircraft at an airport nearby.  Plus high settings might be causing this but, if the crashes are occurring over the same area, that is probably not the issue.  Still, I would try a flight with default settings if you get the crash again over Greenland. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Since you do not have MyTrafficX, this "fix" does not apply to you.  This happened with an older version of MyTrafficX (5.4c) and the product was upgraded partly because of my finding.  I'm just saying that Process Monitor helped me find out it was MyTrafficX that was causing the CTD. 

Yesterday I ran Process Monitor for P3DV4 and it loads all scenery you have enabled whether you are flying in the area or not.  I saw all of my FSDT scenery and Orbx Germany and photoreal Austria, everything in Scenery/World/Scenery folder, UTX2, and all of MyTrafficX AI and scenery.  Of course, for P3DV4, this is okay as you do not have to worry about running out of VAS but it does increase loading times and increases the chances of something going wrong.  Photoscenery will take up resources (not talking about VAS) as it has to load even if you are not going to use it in your flight plan.

Having the crash occurring over Greenland indicates a problem with the scenery.  Perhaps a static aircraft at an airport nearby.  Plus high settings might be causing this but, if the crashes are occurring over the same area, that is probably not the issue.  Still, I would try a flight with default settings if you get the crash again over Greenland. 

This is getting me frustrated, I have AGAIN the CTD "ntdll.dll" just when I was about to hit Greenland... with P3Dv4 Config rebuild even... my settings were default, why does Lockheed Martin not look into this CTD I guess it's a well known error, I can't fly a f.ckng full flight from AMS to LAX. I was getting like 130 FPS now in the air and on the ground. 

Now it was after 3h... but I was just about passing Greenland and all my sceneries were disabled just not the ones I need!!

Miguel Pappijn

Belgium, Europe

OS: Windows 10 Professional 64bit. GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MSI RTX 2080 Ti Lightning Z, CPU: i9-9900K, MO: MEG Z390 Godlike ///// Prepar3D v5.3 HTFX: 2. /////

Well, your inappropriate comment just earned you a suspension!

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

@ Jim, thanks for the tip about about Process Monitor. Gives indeed a wealth of information.

@ Miquel, I did some flights over the pond the weekend and all passed Greenland without a problem. I did copy the settings as you recommended earlier but when reading your experience this doesn't always solve  the problem.

I did get CTD's though. One on a EGLL/KSFO flight. I was approaching TOD and had process monitor on for the while flight ( gave a huge file ) But there was no information in the event-viewer  so I had no exact time of of the crash. The return went without a problem.

KMSP to EHAM went fine but 2 CTD's on the return somewhere over Canada, running FSUIPC autosave made it possible to restart and eventually I arrived. Will repeat the flight with the 777 and see if that makes a difference.

Otherwise lets hope that 4.1 brings us relief here...

brdgs / Dick

=

Yep.for me to.over canada is the Crash from West and from east

is in the First hotfix from LM a fix for the Language for windows? There was on Release of v4 a Problem with ntdll.dll and Other Languages  then english.now i set my win 10 Pro to US english and do a flight again 

Im on p3d v4 hotfix 1

5 hours ago, dick said:

But there was no information in the event-viewer  so I had no exact time of of the crash. The return went without a problem.

This is why I recommend writing down the system time in the lower right corner as soon as you get the crash.  Then you can look at the process monitor log and go to the minute of the crash and see what was loading.  It will give you an idea of the scenery that might be causing the problem.  If you know about where the crash will occur, I would put the sim on pause, bring up Process Monitor and set it up to monitor P3DV4 only.  Then the process monitor log will not be as large.  It shows everything that is happening every tenth of a second so there are millions of entries.  But, if you have the time of the crash, it helps finding what was loading.

Submit News to AVSIM

The ntdll.dll is related to a StackHash.  Sometimes you get the ntdll.dll and the next time a StackHash but, in any case, it usually means some sort of memory issue or heap corruption.  If a file is being called to render and it is not there/corrupted or it requires a lot of resources to render (as with addons), the sim may crash and trigger the StackHash/NTDLL.dll error.  Many people install addons like ASP4 and ASCA and increase the default settings.  So, they may go to the default settings in P3DV4 but, when it comes to rendering an addon, you may have it set to render at 4096.  Some addons, like airports, have added eye-candy that you can enable or disable.  Orbx does this a lot.  FSDT and FlightBeam too.  ASP4 has some settings that you can turn up higher at the expense of performance too.  So, just deleting your P3D.cfg is not the sole solution.  You have to look at your eye-candy addons too. 

I am just learning this too.  I have a powerful computer and think I can turn things up but the programming of FSX and P3D won't allow it when I have it set to render the highest quality (4096) textures.  It does on many flights but occasionally I'll get hit with a CTD and that's no fun.  I recently returned my P3D.cfg settings to the default and flew the same route I was always getting a CTD.  The crashes stopped.  So I raised a few settings, added traffic and weather (ASP4) and saw the CTD's again but this time when I closed P3D.  I went into the Active Sky Cloud Art (ASCA) settings and lowered them to 1024 (from 2048).  The clouds were still looking great and the CTD's stopped.  I also lowered traffic from 25% to 15% and brought back my real weather settings in the P3D.config to the default.  So far I have not experienced the CTD's I was getting.  This may not be a solution for you but I'm just throwing this out for everyone to think about when they experience CTD's like the NTDLL.dll or the StackHash.  It has worked for me.

Submit News to AVSIM

Very interesting Jim. Thank you for sharing. I can add to this that my ctd's mostly happen when p3dv4 runs at 4x speed. I guess that would also attribute to "choking" p3d when on too low settings ( if I understand correctly what you are explaining )

For me it was a natural tendency to be conservative in the settings for texture resolutions in the sim. In the past we have all been punished for settings that were too high. It's a change in mindset now to realize that we are now being punished for too low settings.

Previously I was running on 1024 or (mostly) 2048. I have  changed this  to 4096 texture resolutions in the sim settings and I am on my way now over the pond on 4x speed to see what happens !

Much appreciated Jim !

best regards / Dick

=

On 10/8/2017 at 3:40 PM, MIQUEL_7 said:

This is getting me frustrated, I have AGAIN the CTD "ntdll.dll" just when I was about to hit Greenland... with P3Dv4 Config rebuild even... my settings were default, why does Lockheed Martin not look into this CTD I guess it's a well known error, I can't fly a f.ckng full flight from AMS to LAX. I was getting like 130 FPS now in the air and on the ground. 

Now it was after 3h... but I was just about passing Greenland and all my sceneries were disabled just not the ones I need!!

are you using a pmdg aircraft and do you have autogen on...

I bet ill be able to find 10 previous topics now Prepar have finally admitted there was a problem witrh autogen and PMDG aircraft causing CTDS... 

14ppkc-6.png

16 hours ago, dick said:

Very interesting Jim. Thank you for sharing. I can add to this that my ctd's mostly happen when p3dv4 runs at 4x speed. I guess that would also attribute to "choking" p3d when on too low settings ( if I understand correctly what you are explaining )

For me it was a natural tendency to be conservative in the settings for texture resolutions in the sim. In the past we have all been punished for settings that were too high. It's a change in mindset now to realize that we are now being punished for too low settings.

Previously I was running on 1024 or (mostly) 2048. I have  changed this  to 4096 texture resolutions in the sim settings and I am on my way now over the pond on 4x speed to see what happens !

Much appreciated Jim !

best regards / Dick

=

You are welcomed.  I am only bringing it to the attention that there are more than just the P3D.cfg and display driver settings in play when you have a crash.  With my powerful system, OC'd to 5.0GHz, I have my settings for things like ASCA to 1024, the default.

Submit News to AVSIM

32 minutes ago, tooting said:

It's strange when some get crashes with autogen turned on with PMDG aircraft and hundreds of others do not.  I have my autogen set to normal and fly PMDG aircraft most of the time and have not seen an ntdll.dll because of it. There are a lot of addons, including Orbx/FTX, that have autogen in their sceneries not placed in the P3D. I would suspect those addons first (unless everyone has autogen turned on in P3D and getting the ntdll.dll error while also using any PMDG aircraft.  It will be interesting to see if LM fixed this problem in the latest release.

Submit News to AVSIM

Just now, Jim Young said:

It's strange when some get crashes with autogen turned on with PMDG aircraft and hundreds of others do not.  I have my autogen set to normal and fly PMDG aircraft most of the time and have not seen an ntdll.dll because of it. There are a lot of addons, including Orbx/FTX, that have autogen in their sceneries not placed in the P3D. I would suspect those addons first (unless everyone has autogen turned on in P3D and getting the ntdll.dll error while also using any PMDG aircraft.  It will be interesting to see if LM fixed this problem in the latest release.

apparently they have.  but whats makes me mad is for YEARS they both buck passed to each other saying the issue wasnt theirs.

14ppkc-6.png

43 minutes ago, tooting said:

I bet ill be able to find 10 previous topics now Prepar have finally admitted there was a problem witrh autogen and PMDG aircraft causing CTDS... 

Hi Pete,

Can you please point me in the right direction, as to where LM acknowledge a Autogen & PMDG CTD connection?

3 minutes ago, tooting said:

apparently they have.  but whats makes me mad is for YEARS they both buck passed to each other saying the issue wasnt theirs.

Where was this fix announced? 

So we finally cross into Canada without CTD's?

9 minutes ago, calzonister said:

Hi Pete,

Can you please point me in the right direction, as to where LM acknowledge a Autogen & PMDG CTD connection?

Where was this fix announced? 

So we finally cross into Canada without CTD's?

do you use FSrealtime too ??

14ppkc-6.png