Sign in to follow this  

I have tried XP11.05 demo version, and want to ask other users if XP11 has higher requirements than P3D ?

Demo performance is terrible, and i see that graphic settings are rather low ( visuals are far from impressive ).

So, is it something with my installation/setup, or simply XP11 is less optimized than P3D ? 

Artur 

What PC specs do you have (CPU, GPU, RAM, VRAM, monitor resolution, etc.)? Are you using updated videocard drivers? What FPS are you getting and what graphics settings are you using? Have you disabled all AI aircrafts?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I have old computer but good enough for P3D even with PMDG planes...

I7 3.8Ghz + WIN7/64 + 6Gb of RAM + NVIDIA760

Even i have reduced graphic settings to medium, all i have is slideshow with poor graphics...

Artur 

You might be light on the vid card.  X-Plane likes a good to medium vid card, for instance I have a 1060 and I average about thirty fps over photoreal scenery.  Windows 10 is a must, get there if you can, it works great and its rock hard.  I am sorry to say I had a similar experience with a similar graphics card.  The odd thing about all this is that my card is loaded with only 3GB of RAM, so it may be speed that's an issue vs. memory.

John

52 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

I have old computer but good enough for P3D even with PMDG planes...

I7 3.8Ghz + WIN7/64 + 6Gb of RAM + NVIDIA760

Even i have reduced graphic settings to medium, all i have is slideshow with poor graphics...

What resolution are you using? Single monitor? Are you using latest GPU drivers? Can you press CTRL+SHIFT+F and report the frame rate, "cpu time" and "gpu time" values?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Also, what antialiasing settings are you using? Try setting resolution to minimum (1280x720) and no antialiasing. Do the frame rate increase? If they do, it means that your videocard is the bottleneck at the graphical settings you're currently using (resolution, antialiasing, visual effects).

• Upvote 1

I know that my graphic card is bottleneck, in fact my whole computer is :-), but the case is that i still can comfortably fly PMDG planes with FlyTampa or Aerosoft addons, and XPlane with default Cessna is giving me very bad performance with lower graphic settings than in my P3D - so my verdict is that XPlane is not so well optimized, and need really strong computer.

I really wanted to try XPlane and give a chance to that sim, but i think i will stay with P3D ...

Artur 

1 hour ago, Beardyman said:

- so my verdict is that XPlane is not so well optimized, and need really strong computer.

X-Plane 11 is well optimised and getting better with each update. That said, its a 2017 release and requires 2017 hardware. Your system might be able to run P3D well which is based on 11 year old  code but to run well and look great XP requires more RAM, and more VRAM than you computer has. I run XP11 pretty well on an i5 4690k and Nvidia 970. I have 16GB of Ram which is really a minimum and 4gb of VRAm again a minimum. 

• Upvote 3

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

3 hours ago, Beardyman said:

so my verdict is that XPlane is not so well optimized, and need really strong computer.

You are indeed comparing a piece of software that ran 11 years ago badly on the most current hardware of the time, with a state of the art (and still in development) current simulator, that does completely different things.

Even the switch to 64bit does not cover the underlying engine: it is basically CPU core bound, and  the GPU is only used for some post rendering. So your system is more then adequate to run this old technology, but outdated for the new ways being used by X-Plane.

In this case, you are lacking memory (both RAM and VRAM), and possibly also your bus speeds are too low to handle all the data. Addons for FSX (P3D) are designed (read mutilated) with the 3GB memory limitation in mind.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Beardyman said:

I know that my graphic card is bottleneck, in fact my whole computer is :-), but the case is that i still can comfortably fly PMDG planes with FlyTampa or Aerosoft addons, and XPlane with default Cessna is giving me very bad performance with lower graphic settings than in my P3D - so my verdict is that XPlane is not so well optimized, and need really strong computer.

If one of your settings is causing one of your components to bottleneck, you can lower all the others and still get awful framerates and awful graphics, even with the simplest default aircraft. Example: if your current resolution and antialiasing settings are too much for you GPU, you can lower all the other sliders, but your framerate will remain very low.

Have you tried following my advices? Once you've found the bottleneck and the setting that is causing it, you could probably find a compromise and get decent visual quality and decent framerates. You still haven't said what resolution you're running it at.

My advice is this:

1) Set resolution and antialiasing to minimum (1280x720, no antialiasing), textures quality to not more than "medium".

2) Play with the other graphics settings (the ones on the right of the screen) until you've found an acceptable visual quality and frame rate.

3) Once you've done, try increasing the resolution OR the antialiasing one notch (one at a time). At a certain point you should see the framerates decreasing, meaning you're hitting the bottleneck in your GPU. At that point, move the last slider one notch back.

In any case, X-Plane is currently being optimized for increased performance and framerates. This process will probably last more than one year, but some improvements should already be available in the upcoming 11.10 release.

• Upvote 2

Murmur - i have tried different settings as per ur suggestion, but finally even i will find my sweet spot at the very bottom of XP11 possible settings, then question is why i need sim which looks way worse than my existing one ?

I was looking for alternative to P3D, but with XP11 and my present hardware it would be huge step back for me to switch to XP11.

Yidahoo - "That said, its a 2017 release and requires 2017 hardware"

Very bold statement..., wondering how many simmers follow that nice idea ?

• Upvote 1

Artur 

7 hours ago, Beardyman said:

...so my verdict is that XPlane is not so well optimized, and need really strong computer.

I think you mean your hardware is not so well optimized for XP11.

• Upvote 2

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

8 hours ago, Beardyman said:

- so my verdict is that XPlane is not so well optimized, and need really strong computer.

I'd also disagree with this. I came over from P3D in the past year and my computer is older than yours (both the CPU and the GPU are older, but I do have quite a bit more RAM). I'm able to fly it with the IXEG 737 (PMDG quality plane), ortho scenery (photo real add on scenery) and some traffic, and keep it pretty smooth.

That said, X-Plane can overpower just about any hardware with everything cranked up. X-plane is sort of a different animal in terms of graphics. To eyes, the LOD is vastly larger than P3D (although I never purchased v4.0).

Like people said, turn everything down to min and start from there. Also, make sure that reflections (its a check box) is turned off. That will kill your system. Also make sure there aren't a ton of processes running in the background that you're not aware of.

2 hours ago, Beardyman said:

Very bold statement..., wondering how many simmers follow that nice idea ?

In fact : Yes. My main X-Plane test computers is older than yours, but it has a lot more RAM and a slightly better GPU (i7 950, 18 GB VRam, NVidia 770 with 4 GB of VRAM). RAM is extremly cheap but it is essential for X-Plane since it is a lot longer working in a 64 Bit environment. With 6 GB you are below the minimum requirements of X-Plane 11. In fact this was exactly the same amount of RAM my computer originally had, when i build it. But When X-Plane went to 64 Bit I added another 12 GB of RAM. And only now I sometimes have to be a bit carefull but with mauch more than minimum levels.

You computer was simply not built for X-Plane, but don´t worry. It won´t take too long till the sceneries and planes inh P3D will be much bigger. The designers no longer have to optimize for the RAM size, since P3Dv4.

9 hours ago, jh71 said:

You are indeed comparing a piece of software that ran 11 years ago badly on the most current hardware of the time, with a state of the art (and still in development) current simulator, that does completely different things.

Even the switch to 64bit does not cover the underlying engine: it is basically CPU core bound, and  the GPU is only used for some post rendering. So your system is more then adequate to run this old technology, but outdated for the new ways being used by X-Plane.

In this case, you are lacking memory (both RAM and VRAM), and possibly also your bus speeds are too low to handle all the data. Addons for FSX (P3D) are designed (read mutilated) with the 3GB memory limitation in mind.

Of course.This can be understood by every normal person. The problem coming if you want  to explain this things FSX / P3D ( accept my deep apology for this expression) fanatics, fan boys and etc.