Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

Port Scans when accessing the forums?

Howdy,

I am not an IT expert, but the one in our office noticed that the AVSIM forums performed port scan when I accessed the forum from work this afternoon. He discovered this when researching a hacking attempt (I know, AVSIM has nothing to do with that issue). Why does this happen? I would like to be able to explain why. I can provide additional technical info if it is needed for a detailed explanation. PM me if you would like to handle this outside the forum.

It may have happened when I clicked on Chock's posted video here, but I don't know for sure.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

-Jeff

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I'm not an IT expert either.  From the Internet searches I conducted, port scans are common.  Our site is secure (see the green lock in the address bar).  Not many sites have the green bar yet.  This green lock tells you that you are entering a secure connection. We were one of the first to get the green lock so our membership would know they are on a safe and secure website.  It will be mandatory for all sites one of these days.  It cost us money so thanks to everyone for your donations!  Hope this helps.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim.

Is there someone I can talk to - perhaps over PM - that can discuss this in greater detail? I have no doubts that AVSIM is secure and neither does my IT Director. Still, I am one of the senior staff members, and I'd like to understand this more.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I'm sorry.  Not possible.  Details about our system, our security apparatus are not releasable to anyone, even your "IT Director".  The only thing our members need to know is that the site is secure.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

So... would it be okay for me to explain that AVSIM is doing?

It should be okay, as I don't represent AVSIM, and those in our community who log into AVSIM as members and especially donors have the right to know what data is being collected, or what attempts at data collection, is being done by AVSIM.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hi Dave,

That information is all in the Green Lock.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Dave, I don't believe that any information is being collected. Port scanning has been used for many years as a defensive tool to protect a website host from intrusion.

See: Port Scanning: It's Not Just an Offensive Tool Anymore

http://www.garykessler.net/library/is_tools_scan.html

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 10/6/2017 at 11:08 AM, Jim Young said:

Hi Dave,

That information is all in the Green Lock.

Best regards,

Jim

Interestingly, Jim, in Firefox the "Lock" isn't green on this very page. If I block cookies from AVSIM and reload the page the lock turns green, however, it also logs me out, and I can't login without re-enabling cookie storage. When on the main forum page, the lock is green.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

7 hours ago, somiller said:

Interestingly, Jim, in Firefox the "Lock" isn't green on this very page. If I block cookies from AVSIM and reload the page the lock turns green, however, it also logs me out, and I can't login without re-enabling cookie storage. When on the main forum page, the lock is green.

Thanks Steven.  Yes, I'm aware of this as I have Firefox too.  Image and video links and links to unsecure sites make the page unsecure.  But, overall, the site is secure.  This is an anomaly for every site like ours.  The information provided in the address bar tells you this.  Up until earlier this year, this site was basically unsecure other than it was password protected.  With your donations, we bought the green lock for added protection.  From my understanding, the green lock will be mandatory for every site someday soon.  It is mainly set up to make sure you are posting on AVSIM and not a site set up by someone else to make it look like you are on AVSIM (phishing).  Firefox and your connection to the Internet protects you further.  Other than this, I am braindead as far as to the security of this site.  Chase and our Tech handle those functions.

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim,

Thank you for responding. Good to know AVSIM has secured the site. This is still my go-to forum for all things flight sim, and I have to say this is a very, well-run resource.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

1 hour ago, somiller said:

and I have to say this is a very, well-run resource

You the man!  We appreciate nice comments like that once in a while.

Submit News to AVSIM