Sign in to follow this  
gatechfan_99

Prepar3D v4.1 to be released next week...

Does full reinstall not simply mean client, content and scenery installers and in that case you don't need to reinstall everything, apart from add-ons that overwrite content like FTX Global. At least that's what I did the last few times, even though most changes were in the client.

----

Kenneth Verburg, Netherlands

1 minute ago, jgoggi said:

But what about all default textures replaced by the various ORBX Global, Vector, etc.? They will all need to be reinstalled...

the hard way I am afraid, and one at a time...

I really hope that a full reinstall means reinstalling the client only... definitely not looking forward to a clean wipe and reinstall. Especially for those of us with a massive amount of add-ons.

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

4 hours ago, greggerm said:

device=c:\windows\himem.sys
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
dos=high,umb
deviceHigh=c:\windows\command\ansi.sys

Falcon AT required 600k free or it would not run. Kids these days have it easy  :biggrin:.

howevr

38 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Full install? I really hope this isn't true.. I really don't want to reinstall all my 3rd party add-ons and reconfigure everything again. Sigh...

Luckily for me I am rather new to P3D v4 and only have 4 sceneries installed for now. I do have lots of AI installed but re-installing that will be easy.

45 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I really hope that a full reinstall means reinstalling the client only... definitely not looking forward to a clean wipe and reinstall. Especially for those of us with a massive amount of add-ons.

Hope so too Holycow! please no full reinstall such a pain the butt.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

if its a reinstall of the scenery, what happens to the aerosoft stuff sitting in the ecosystem folder ?

14ppkc-6.png

I cannot imagine that a full, clean reinstall will be mandatory.  Given that they have specifically switched to a modular system of installation, it would therefore make sense that you still have the option to only install the Client if that's what you want - you might just lose the benefits of some of the other fixes they may have made.

I'm surprised that no-one has been able to confirm or deny anything about a changelog up to this point.   However, I do sense that we are going to be very pleased with whatever these changes are.

The idea with seperate installers was that we did not have to do a full reinstall anymore in the same main version...

I will back up several directories like Texture, Autogen , Scenery/World/Texture , Scenery/Global and copy them back afterwards... 

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

We'll see... a full re-install is a full re-install. Otherwise it would be the default upgrade path.

But nothing's been confirmed yet.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

2 minutes ago, tooting said:

if its a reinstall of the scenery, what happens to the aerosoft stuff sitting in the ecosystem folder ?

Basically nothing. However, you would need to add it newly to the scenery.cfg after updating. Should not be a big thing. To be absolutely sure, I would first move the Ecosystem-Folder to another drive (backup) and then back.

@ErichB: in contrary to you, I am pretty sure that it will need a full install to really benefit from all the updates. If they for example also improved their add-on.xml logic, updating only the client might lead to some unwanted side effects later...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Just now, GSalden said:

I will back up several directories like Texture, Autogen , Scenery/World/Texture , Scenery/Global and copy them back afterwards... 

Personally I would avoid this. If there're changes inside those folders, it would/could mess up your installation, leading to potential unstability. If a full re-install is required, there's only one way, I'm afraid.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

6 minutes ago, AnkH said:

@ErichB: in contrary to you, I am pretty sure that it will need a full install to really benefit from all the updates. If they for example also improved their add-on.xml logic, updating only the client might lead to some unwanted side effects later...

Well, quite possibly.  In fact, IIRC, I think we had to do exactly the same thing with one of the incremental updates for V3.

I'm not totally averse to a full reinstall, although as this weekend is the CTP event, I may wait until next week to install anything - unless the changes are that earth shattering.  There are currently no show stoppers for me in the 4.0 version.

I think 4.1 will bring alot of 'I want' moments as opposed to 'I need'

I think I'm the most extreme one. I did a full format to my pc. Was also experiencing a .NET problem that  would take more time to fix -if I'd fix- without a format. As all my crucial files are in the cloud and external drives, it takes max 1 hour to install everything I need in Windows. Then, install P3D v4.1 when released and the add-ons one by one as they become compatible. You would need to re-install them either way if you update P3D today. Only time consuming is the airports/scenery installations. ORBX makes it easy though, just click and wait. For the airports, I'll follow the simple rule to install the two airports I fly every time. If you have them installed using the add-ons.xml method, then its even faster. They will be already there. I think a full install is not that bad.

• Upvote 3

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

7 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

I'll follow the simple rule to install the two airports I fly every time. If you have them installed using the add-ons.xml method, then its even faster. They will be already there. I think a full install is not that bad.

I also used to suffer from the 'I need everything installed otherwise I can't fly' syndrome.  I do the same as you now - just installing the basics at first and add airports as and when I choose to fly to them.   No stress, no fuss.

• Upvote 6