Sign in to follow this  
Kyle94

Computer Update Question

My current computer is running an i7 2600k @3.4ghz with a GTX 560 Ti and 8gb of RAM. I've had this computer for about 5 years and just want an upgrade that will hold it over for at least another 1-2 years. I was thinking about upgrading the graphics card to either a GTX 1050 Ti 4gb or a GTX 1060 but I'm worried about my CPU bottlenecking with P3D V4. Right now I'm able to get a little under 20fps with the PMDG NGX and FlyTampa Amsterdam but I want something that will get me a solid 30+ fps. Will the 1050 Ti be fine or should I go for either the 1060 6gb or the 1060 3gb SC?

Thank You

Kyle

Kyle Richardson

✈✈ F L Y D E L T A J E T S ✈✈

I've got a similar CPU but my 2500k is at 4 GHz - I do have a gtx 970.  I would highly recommend saving up for a new system. Adding a gtx 1060 to your current one would help a little, but I think a new system would be best (even my CPU and gtx 970 struggle to get 20 fps in certain scenarios with med-high settings)

if you absolutely cannot upgrade your system I'd go for the 1060.  Your CPU will be the bottleneck regardless whether you get the 1050 or 1060.  Our sandy bridge  cpus are ancient in today's world hehe.

oh one more thing I though of - have you tried overclocking?  I used to be at 4.5 but can't hold that anymore.  P3D still uses CPU the most - a mild OC of 4 would help!

• Upvote 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I've got a similar CPU but my 2500k is at 4 GHz - I do have a gtx 970.  I would highly recommend saving up for a new system. Adding a gtx 1060 to your current one would help a little, but I think a new system would be best (even my CPU and gtx 970 struggle to get 20 fps in certain scenarios with med-high settings)

if you absolutely cannot upgrade your system I'd go for the 1060.  Your CPU will be the bottleneck regardless whether you get the 1050 or 1060.  Our sandy bridge  cpus are ancient in today's world hehe.

oh one more thing I though of - have you tried overclocking?  I used to be at 4.5 but can't hold that anymore.  P3D still uses CPU the most - a mild OC of 4 would help!

I was saving up for a new system but my tuition bill reared its ugly head so I decided if I could spend around $250 and breathe some new life into it I can just ride it out with this system for another few years.

I did plan on overclocking the CPU to around 4.4 GHz once I upgraded the GPU but I still need to do a bit more research before I take that on.

The main thing with my 560 was that no matter what I did I kept getting the error message "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered". 2 days ago I popped it out and replaced it with a GT 220 that's been collecting dust for years and the problem doesn't appear anymore. Unfortunately, I can't fly until I either get a new GPU or a completely new system.

Anyway, thanks for the tips I'll weigh my options and make a decision from there.

Kyle Richardson

In that case a gtx 1060 paired with a decent overclock would definitely help you out.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1060 6gb I think would serve u well.

Matt Wilson

I used to have a 2600k and OC to 4.4 Ghz with a decent air cooling. Ran just fine  for many years. And get a 1060, you'll have a new system :)

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

I have a i5 3750k. Recently upgraded from at GTX 570 to a 1060 6GB.. the difference for me is night and day. I would definitely go for gpu if you cant upgrade all! Don't forget to let us know what you do an how you get on. 

Agree with above sentiment. Overclocking (try Noctua) and a 1060. Then, in 2 years when you update the CPU, keeping the 1060 will at least be an option where it probably won't with the 1050.

Go for the 1060 6 Gb.  Don't choose the 3 Gb card, you will regret it with P3d

Mike

Thanks guys! I'll order the 1060 6gb this weekend and as soon as I get it I'll post an update.

-Kyle

Kyle Richardson