Sign in to follow this  
flightgamer

Is there a point for P3d in upgrading my 4.5GHz overclocked i5 to a 4.5 GHz i7?

So many people seem to have i7 7700Ks for example I'm wondering if 4.5 GHz on an i5 3750K gets me 40fps in P3d while 4.5 GHz on the i7 will get me 50 or 60fps? Sometimes CPU architecture makes a big difference, but is P3d one of those times? Or does clock speed still matter the most so I should just hang tight? ps. simming is the most I push my CPU. It's not like I render videos or anything that would really show the limitations of the i5. Thx for your advice.

I saw a significant increase in ability to move up the AGN and scenery sliders after upgrading from an i5-3570k @ 4.5Ghz to an i7-4790k @4.4Ghz. If I have building and tree shadows disabled in P3Dv4 (so there is no hit from GPU tasking), the AGN and scenery sliders don't affect my FPS at all.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I moved from a 3570K@4.3GHz to a 7700K@4.8GHz with ddr4 3000MHz memory and it was a substantial upgrade. No stats for you though. Sorry.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I am interested too. I have an i5 running at 4.4ghz. It's a few years old now but wondering what kind of improvement i can get with an i7700k or i8700k and whether I should upgrade now or wait. A 10fps increase is a waste of money considering I will need new mobo, mem, fan etc. as well. All settings mid range on v3 and I get around 25fps although I don't use third party airports as that's a killer 

Guest JustanotherPilot

I don't think it necessary, I'm running an i7 4790K @stock 4.0ghz, your 4.5ghz should be plenty.

2 hours ago, JustanotherPilot said:

I don't think it necessary, I'm running an i7 4790K @stock 4.0ghz, your 4.5ghz should be plenty.

That was not the question he asked, He is coming from an i5.
To the OP. you will notice that you will have better scenery loading and less blurries with the i7 vs the i5.

--Sean Hart

Guest JustanotherPilot
1 hour ago, sultanofswing said:

That was not the question he asked, He is coming from an i5.
To the OP. you will notice that you will have better scenery loading and less blurries with the i7 vs the i5.

I was aware he was using an i5, I answered the question he asked...I believe an i5 running at 4.5ghz would be suitable to run Prepar3d v3.4 or v4 with addon scenery

He wasnt asking if the i5 was suitable, he was asking if the i7 was significantly better.  My answer, having made that move myself recently is that there is a noticeable jump in performance from my ivy bridge i5 to the kaby lake i7.  The i5 is doable, the i7 is better.  Is it worth the money? For me, yes, but i use the pc for other high demand applications as well (music production)

Interesting!

i5-3570k here also at 4.5ghz. I’ve had this chip since 2013, it’s doing very well 4 years down the line!

Probably will look to upgrade if I see any good sales in the future, probably i7-7700k when the prices get pushed down by newer things.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, JustanotherPilot said:

I was aware he was using an i5, I answered the question he asked...I believe an i5 running at 4.5ghz would be suitable to run Prepar3d v3.4 or v4 with addon scenery

I understand what you are saying. Thanks, I tend to agree with you.