Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Xplane11 over the Grand Canyon

Showing off what Ortho4XP can do for XPlane11 and our hobby.  Source is USA_2, resolution is level 16.  I've extended my Phoenix scenery up north, all the way to Vegas.

John

Cessna_172SP_1.jpg
Cessna_172SP_2.jpg
Cessna_172SP_3.jpg
Cessna_172SP_4.jpg
Cessna_172SP_5.jpg
Cessna_172SP_6.jpg
Cessna_172SP_7.jpg
Cessna_172SP_8.jpg
Cessna_172SP_9.jpg
Cessna_172SP_10.jpg

• Upvote 3

Nice! I think I see and an external HDD in your future :).

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Great looking shots over the Canyon!

HLJAMES

Very nice looking set of the Grand Canyon!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Very nice.  I've been there several times. It takes your breath away. All I can say is I need to start using orthos.

Keith Guillory

Thanks for the comments everyone!  If you want a step by step guide for using Ortho4xp, I wrote one down in the forums in this link:

To install Ortho4xp I deviated from the instructions so everything, including Python, would be in one path.  After getting the files from Dropbox, I put them in a directory on a separate partition in order to save space.  In the files there is a zip file with Python.  I extracted all folders into my Ortho4xp folder.  This is how I got Ortho4xp to work without script errors.  That and my eight step guide in the link above.  I only use a resolution of 16, I used to use 17 but it took up too much disk space, the square of 16.  Most of Arizona and Southern Nevada took only 5GB at a better resolution than MSE.  Same goes for my Northern CA and Reno scenery.  It took about two hours to generate 25 tiles, amazing because FSEarthtiles would have taken a couple of days to do the same thing for P3d.  Possibly because USA_2 is a faster satellite link.

Using 16 as my resolution, my Arizona/Southern Nevada scenery was virtually stutter free using the 172.  Very fluid.  I am looking forward to my next flight.  Ortho4xp is what makes Xplane11 worth it for me.  As for Autogen, it does not always show up, but most buildings do.  Not sure why, it may have something to do with the Overlays.  It's hit and miss.  I really don't mind it so much, as long as I have the buildings.  One problem is with the mesh it finds, there is a hill at Napa airports runway 18R.  LOL

John