Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

Nav Data - DOD issues makes news outside of FS community

Another typical anti-Bush rant...What the author forgets (or rather chooses not to take into account) is that the USA was engaged in 2 foreign wars during the timeframe he claims saw a massive increase in classified documents.This is normal during wartime, as the number of communications by security and intelligence services (which are by their very nature sensitive and therefore usually classified) goes up dramatically during times of conflict.Also, blaming everything that gets classified on the president personally (as the author is trying to do) and hinting that it's all part of some massive conspiracy against the people of the country is just plain silly (and dangerous), yet typical of the type of statement made by the anti-Bush crowd.In fact a lot of things that should have been classified but weren't have over the last few years seen their security restrictions tightened. This was a necessary step to prevent such data from falling into the hands of not just terrorists and foreign powers but common criminals as well (think identity theft...).The navdata issue has been discussed to death, and its removal from public publication has little to do with security and everything with intellectual property issues as the DoD doesn't own the copyright on most of the information and foreign organisations are starting to demand money for its dissemination, money the US DoD understandably doesn't want to pay unless they get a direct benefit from it (so for internal use).Of course the author chooses to not mention that reason because it doesn't fit his agenda.

Guest enave

"Another typical anti-Bush rant..."That is spot on.Just last year, in the wake of that big power outage in the North Eastern US, I remember seeing news reports about how easy it would be for a terrorist to take out critical US infrastructure. The reports *always* highlighted the fact that so much sensitive information was available on the web. Some grad student at (I think) NYU had put together a map of utilities, you could see at a glance where several power and communications lines converged. So theoretically, you could take them all out with just one bomb. For a terrorist, it would be a lot of bang for the buck.Back then, the anti-bush rants went like this: Why doesn't the Bush administration do something about this? Why does he sit by and let all this information out? WHY WHY DOES HE DO THIS? HE'S AN IDIOT! HE'S GOING TO GET US ALL KILLED! WHY? THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!111!!!!oneoneSo, the government reduces the amount of data that's freely available. Now the rants go like this: Why does he hide this from us? Why? How soon until Shrubya's jack-booted thugs break down our doors and take us all to prison? WHY? WHY IS THIS BEING DONE? WHAT IS HE HIDING! HE'S A MAD MAN! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!It is obvious to me that no matter what Bush does, the left will say it's wrong. I no longer listen to them at all.

debunking them is a nice way to spend the time when there's nothing interesting to do like troll people who think it's 1337 k3wl to post death threats to Bill Gates.

Guest Terry_ABQ

Sounds to me like the government wants to get out of the chart/plate business and this is a good excuse. What next, shut down companies like Jeppesen?Terry

>Another typical anti-Bush rant...Agreed.The author of this little anti-Bush propaganda would be well advised to compare side-by-side the amount of data the US government shares with their citizens versus what is available in the rest of the world and let readers decide for themselves who is witholding information.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

>Sounds to me like the government wants to get out of the>chart/plate business and this is a good excuse. What next,>shut down companies like Jeppesen?Sounds to me like conspiracies running wild. Don't you see contradiction in those two statements?. If the government was trying to get out of the chart business (and no longer provide NOA charts) then certainly somebody else must remain in this business so airplanes can fly. Shutting down Jeppesen - ok, the government must be trying to shut down a deli (run by a democrat) across the street from my apartment - I see too many strange guys in trench-coats lurking around.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

>Another typical anti-Bush rant...>>What the author forgets (or rather chooses not to take into>account) is that the USA was engaged in 2 foreign wars during>the timeframe he claims saw a massive increase in classified>documents.>This is normal during wartime, as the number of communications>by security and intelligence services (which are by their very>nature sensitive and therefore usually classified) goes up>dramatically during times of conflict.>Not true, Clinton mobilized the military on three occasions (none were declared a WAR, as actions by this government are also not decalred a WAR) which is one more then Bush2. However, he is considerd to be the most secretive president in history of the U.S., including Nixon. You may want to consider reading John Dean's book on the subject - he would know (that is if you recall who he is)here are his thoughts: http://www.motherjones.com/commentary/colu.../10/10_205.htmlalso consider: http://foi.missouri.edu/bushinfopolicies/govtopenness.html

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Small difference: the leftwing lunatics weren't opposed to Billy the Kid being in office so weren't posting ludicrous claims to make him look bad.

Guest enave

hmm, maybe clinton should have been a little less open:http://www.asianweek.com/052799/news_coxreport.html"According to the report, China stole U.S. secrets about the seven major warheads in the current American nuclear arsenal as well as the neutron bomb. These thefts of nuclear secrets from our national weapons laboratories enabled [China] to design, develop and successfully test modern strategic weapons sooner than would otherwise have been possible""Without the nuclear secrets stolen from the United States, it would have been virtually impossible for the PRC to fabricate and test successfully small nuclear warheads"I for one sleep soundly at night knowing that Clinton's legacy of open and transparent government is keeping me safe.

>Small difference: the leftwing lunatics...Left Wing? In the US?? :-lol You are kidding??!!The leftest Democrat in the USA ist still right of the right wing conservatives in Europe incl. the UK! (Exceptions prove the rule)Wolfgang

so? They're lunatics and to the far left of the American center.And no, they're nowhere near the right wing in Europe. They're similar to our "social democrats" who are moderate leftwing lunatics.But given the fact that all Americans are slightly lunatic to start with that means that anyone being a lunatic to American standards must be pretty loony indeed :)

Guest enave

>But given the fact that all Americans are slightly lunatic to>start with yeehaw!!!*fires gun in the air*

What is 1337?And I didn't think you were an American Jeroen, but now I see that you are because you support Bush. Maybe you're not an American and you still support Bush, that would really be impressive, however unlikely.Sorry this is kind of a stupid post, and I would like to comment about some of this stuff, but I'm not allowed to comment on political issues, especially since it's pretty clear that I am in the military.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD