Sign in to follow this  
blaird22

KCLT RW36L Missing

Noticed this while flying into KCLT this morning (P3Dv4).  There are 3 parallel runways at KCLT (36 L, C, and R).  I was cleared by ATC to land ILS on RW36L.  Terrible visibility, but that's what ILS is for.  When I finally gained some visibility, THERE WAS NO RUNWAY!

36846101094_48b1994e6a_h.jpg

Overhead view (I circled my location as you can barely see the crosshairs).  Notice 2 runways

37556351261_c72a2acc41_h.jpg

FlightPln Go screenshot, show's my position and where the runway is in real life

36886585733_ecf6a2b49e_h.jpg

I should have been getting close to the threshold at this point.  I was lined up properly.  It's clear KCLT is missing a runway.  Has anyone noticed this?

4 minutes ago, blaird22 said:

Has anyone noticed this?

I'd say anyone who has flown there has noticed as it was the same in FSX. That runway was added after FSX was released based on the data at that time.

To fix the issue, you could look in the Avsim library and see if there is an updated AFCAD you could use that adds the missing runway. Second option would be to buy the new FSDT version of the airport that is up to date or the ImaginSim version which also has the missing runway. Not sure if the IS version is P3D compatible however.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Gotcha, thanks for that. Surprised LM didn't fix that and default ATC assigned a non-existent runway

14 minutes ago, blaird22 said:

Gotcha, thanks for that. Surprised LM didn't fix that and default ATC assigned a non-existent runway

Default ATC certainly does not assign non-existent runways. It can only assign runways that are defined in one of the scenery .bgl files. Are you perhaps using fsAerodata?

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

I use Ray Smith's KCLT.  It's in the AVSIM Library. 

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

1 hour ago, mawibo said:

Default ATC certainly does not assign non-existent runways. It can only assign runways that are defined in one of the scenery .bgl files. Are you perhaps using fsAerodata?

Maarten

Nope, never heard of it. Pretty basic setup, Orbx Global/Vector/LC... That's it

Hi Brian,

Default KCLT is defined in [P3Dv4 installation folder]\scenery\0302\scenery\APX26190.bgl and has 6 runways: 05, 23, 18C, 18L, 36C and 36R:

SimLauncherX-336.jpg

18R/36L must come from one of your addons/navigation data updates, otherwise ATC wouldn't know about it's existence. I have ORBX Global, Vector and LC as well and KCLT is not redefined by any of these ORBX sceneries. I just checked, and even fsAerodata does not add 18R/36L.

Maarten

3 hours ago, blaird22 said:

The reason the default ATC assigned you that runway is because what is now 36C used to be 36L. So when you programmed your approach for 36L it flew you to the missing runway. Had you programmed 36C you would have flown to the 36L that is actually in P3D.

You understand? The sim didn't direct you to a non-existent runway. It was 36L because the sim only has a 36L and 36R, but your nav data in the NGX has 36L, 36C and 36R.

Hopefully this will clear up the understanding and keep you from a wild goose chance trying figure out what happened.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

...because the sim only has a 36L and 36R...

Sorry, but that's not true. As you can see in the image I posted above, the default .bgl file has 36C and 36R.

Maarten

52 minutes ago, mawibo said:

Sorry, but that's not true. As you can see in the image I posted above, the default .bgl file has 36C and 36R.

Maarten

Weird, my default KCLT shows 36L and 36R, hence the reason for my last comment above.

IMG_5323.png

Hi cmpbellsjc,

I stand corrected. It turned out that fsAerodata had overwritten my default scenery\0302\scenery\APX26190.bgl file. The original file indeed shows 36L and 36R, where the default 36L is the current 36C. Your description of the cause of the issue is spot on.

Maarten

15 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

The reason the default ATC assigned you that runway is because what is now 36C used to be 36L. So when you programmed your approach for 36L it flew you to the missing runway. Had you programmed 36C you would have flown to the 36L that is actually in P3D.

That makes perfect sense... That's gotta be it. Thanks!