Sign in to follow this  
skysurfer

Flickering lights, tearing...

Greetings. 

Trying to figure out how to get rid of or reduce flickering lights at night at the distance and tearing as well. 
I use 2 graphic settings, one for day and another for night flying. For day flying I use 8xSSAA and for night I use 2xSSAA. If I use 8xSSAA I see less flickering, but for my night settings with 2xSSAA flickering is pretty bad. I cannot use 8xSSAA at night because of the dynamic lights kills all fps, so 2xSSAA works a bit better. If I use MSAA tearing is even worse. 

Day settings:

37510870296_a62530f022_b.jpg

Night settings:

37510870206_773dce4512_b.jpg

This is short video (sorry, poor quality). 

https://flic.kr/p/YdccrP

Thx for looking. 

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

I don't see flickering nor tearing, but I do see pretty poor anti aliasing.

1 hour ago, Slider said:

You won't see the tearing unless it's filmed off the screen with a camera! Tearing happens when the image is rendered on the monitor.

• Upvote 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

2 hours ago, skysurfer said:

short video (sorry, poor quality). 

:huh:

Then we're not going to see what you're seeing. Your tearing will be because you have vsync off and the computer isn't keeping up with your monitor's refresh rate.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

7 hours ago, MarkDH said:

You won't see the tearing unless it's filmed off the screen with a camera! Tearing happens when the image is rendered on the monitor.

My point exactly.

7 hours ago, MarkDH said:

:huh:

Then we're not going to see what you're seeing. Your tearing will be because you have vsync off and the computer isn't keeping up with your monitor's refresh rate.

I read that with vsync should be off. I turned it ON and it got even worse. 

Thx 

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

9 hours ago, Slider said:

OK. Any way to improve it? With vsync ON it got even worse. 

It was OK and something happened and I see thise aliasing issue. I wonder if there is something with my monitor or Nvidia settings. I see the same effect in Flifgt Sim World as well. 

14 hours ago, skysurfer said:

I read that with vsync should be off. I turned it ON and it got even worse.

To sort out your tearing problem you need to have vsync ON or to make sure your computer can keep up with your monitor's refresh rate by itself. It obviously isn't keeping up, so you could try capping your frame rate at something like 25 or 30. I don't know what your other settings are but I wonder if you are being too optimistic about your computer's abilities.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

Does not look like I have weak computer, base on my specs it should be able to handle. 

Spoke to other people who have similar or even stronger PC and they the same issue. Spoke to nvidia and looks like I have reasonable monitor and GPU settings. 

Turning vsync ON and capping frames to 25-30 did not make a noticeable difference. Very small shimmering when I use 8xSAA but with this setting I cannot fly at night due to DL. One of the suggestion was to go with 4K monitor. Will see. 

Thx  

Yep I must say the flickering night lighting using anything less and 4xSSAA is horrible to look at.  Problem is using 4xSSAA or higher (at night) coupled with a payware aircraft like the PMDG 737 where you have to have DL enabled or else the aircraft lights don't illuminate the ground means the FPS is hammered.  So unless you got a NASA computer forget about it.

I'm hoping 4.1 brings some much needed optimisation to the dynamics light feature then we can have our cake and eat it. 

Thomas Derbyshire

What I read about the next update not much we can expect. I could be wrong though. I hope one day issues like this will be resolved. 

Appreciate all your help. 

Spoke to other people who have similar or even stronger PC and they the same issue.

And what have you concluded from that? :huh:

Turning vsync ON and capping frames to 25-30 did not make a noticeable difference. Very small shimmering when I use 8xSAA but with this setting I cannot fly at night due to DL. One of the suggestion was to go with 4K monitor.

You need to isolate one problem at a time. The vsync and frame-capping suggestions are to fix the tearing, they aren't going to have any effect on your shimmering and aliasing. Regarding 4K, you're already pushing 6Mp - going to a 4K will up that by 30%. Of course, if you mean going for a small-ish 4K monitor so you can leave anti-aliasing off you might benefit.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg