Sign in to follow this  
JoTayhen

Terminate Communications At Destination Airport

Is there a proper way or protocol to terminate your communication with ground at your destination airport and shutdown once you're parked and have shut your flight plan with the proper FSS?  Not being a RW pilot I am word not allowed regarding this procedure and I can't seem to find a reference to the proper procedure in the VOXATC documents.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

John

I noticed the phrase "word not allowed" in my post above.  I am mystified.  I used a word that is synonymous with "having a lack of knowledge".  I was not aware that this word was not permitted.

I hope someone who has real-world knowledge and experience will enlighten me as it seems inappropriate to simply shut your radio off when you reach your assigned parking spot.  It is possible that VOXATC does not have provisions for terminating communication and so you simply disable VOXATC when you've parked at your destination and closed your flight plan.  Anyone?   Thanks.

John

Since no one is answering (Maybe they are mystified by your question, since the real world procedures vary from country to country), I'll take a shot at it. Once the control tower clears you for landing, your flight plan is automatically closed. At a non-towered airport, it is up to the VFR pilot to contact FSS and explicitly close the flight plan. The solution to that is to fly VFR without filing a flight plan in the first place. 

Now that response should set the wheels in motion for answers that differ from mine. :wink:

As to VOXATC, it seems content once you arrive at the gate, so you can disable it or not.

4 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Since no one is answering (Maybe they are mystified by your question, since the real world procedures vary from country to country), I'll take a shot at it. Once the control tower clears you for landing, your flight plan is automatically closed. At a non-towered airport, it is up to the VFR pilot to contact FSS and explicitly close the flight plan. The solution to that is to fly VFR without filing a flight plan in the first place. 

Now that response should set the wheels in motion for answers that differ from mine. :wink:

As to VOXATC, it seems content once you arrive at the gate, so you can disable it or not.

Not only from country to country, but from airport to airport.  In the US your flight plan is not automatically closed when you are cleared for landing.  I recently flew to a class D airport, had padded my flight plan by about half an hour.  After landing and parking (I didn’t report “shutting down” as the ground controller was also working the tower and seemed kind of busy) I was having lunch when I got a call from flight services asking if I was OK. I had neglected to close my flight plan. I was glad they called before sending out search and rescue, and have been more careful ever since. 

By the way, VoxATC does not recognize the phrase, “shutting down.”

Thanks fellas.  I have not been comfortable simply shutting down VOXATC without announcing my intentions to shut the aircraft down and leave the premises.  It seemed to me this action would leave someone "hanging" so to speak.  I routinely contact the local FSS and shut my flight plan but I believe some additional notification to ground is in order (maybe not, but it makes me feel better).:biggrin:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

John