Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

P3D v4 Won't Start

I know these topics are a dime a dozen, but I can't seem to find a similar one to my issue.  I hadn't used P3D v4 for some weeks, maybe months.  I don't believe I've changed much on my system, although I did add Oculus.  I suspect that's unrelated though, as I've been in P3D v4 since adding Oculus software.

Initially, my issue was the splashscreen hung.  10+ minutes would not advance to the main menu.  I tried a few of the tried and true solutions...restarting, ensuring AV excluded P3D.  Eventually when none of this worked, I reinstalled the P3D v4 client.  Now after doing this, I get nothing.  I run P3D v4 as an admin.  P3D will show up in the task manager "processes" for 5-10 seconds and then disappear.

Anyone have any ideas?  While v4 doesn't have everything yet, reinstalling is an extensive process already and I'm hoping to avoid that.  Thanks for any help!

Eric Szczesniak

What other add-ons do you have installed? More likely it's not a problem with P3D itself but an addon you have installed that is causing the hang. 

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

Quite a few, but the notable are ActiveSky, Orbx, FSDT/FB, PMDG, and Simstarter NG.  I am suspicous of BlackMarble, as I think more I believe there was an update that I applied and hadn't run P3D yet.

The problem I'm having though is that P3D isn't even hanging now.  After reinstalling the client, the splash screen doesn't even appear and the prepar3d.exe process in task manager disappears after just a few seconds. 

Seems I might be needing to do a clean reinstall once 4.1 comes out Tuesday, but hoping to fix it some way if possible.

Eric Szczesniak

Move the prepa3d.cfg, dll.xml and exe.xml files to a temporary directory, restart your computer, and start p3d, let it rebuild the files and see if it starts. If it hangs on loading a scenario that is from a Microsoft Update and talked about in the official p3d forums. 4.1 has fixes for that and ai_player and other dll crashes in game also.

I reinstalled the client again and this time the prepar3d.exe process stays in task manager and I get the splash screen again.  I had no luck move the xml and cfg files.  I'm not sure if this is the Windows Update issue, as it hangs on the splash screen.  I never get in to the main menu/flight setup screen to load a scenario...however Simstarter also bypasses this too, sometimes even if starting the sim outside of Simstarter NG.

Eric Szczesniak

wow... I just took a break for a couple days and now Prepar3d wont start here also....  Simstarter just had an update  Trying to figure this out. Up until break i flew almost everyday in last two months.

Good Luck

Steve

There are multiple locations of the dll and exe xml files programdata and your app data roaming profile

You can try to delete your default flight and move all the addon folders out of your my documents too

Mine was as simple as Starting Prepar3d without Simstarter after removing the Prepar3d config.  almost back to normal.

Update

Steve

I stopped using simstarter since it's update to P3Dv4. I'm not saying that it was the culprit but I was having issues with it as well when I installed it. It did not work as smoothly as it did with FSX or any of the 32bit P3D's.

Also sometimes when I have a hanging P3D, just downloading the stand alone addon manager from FSDT and reinstalling that has worked for me. 

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

My problems normally start as an update is about to be released. Great info to update all elements FSDT, ORBX and such. Thanks again

Steve

i have same problem  pdsv4 i only have orbx addons which were working perfect system loading in good time added 2 free addons and bump gets as far as data once 100% but then hangs, uninstalled the two addons  still no joy any ideas kicking about dave

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:41 PM, ESzczesniak said:

I know these topics are a dime a dozen, but I can't seem to find a similar one to my issue.  I hadn't used P3D v4 for some weeks, maybe months.  I don't believe I've changed much on my system, although I did add Oculus.  I suspect that's unrelated though, as I've been in P3D v4 since adding Oculus software.

Initially, my issue was the splashscreen hung.  10+ minutes would not advance to the main menu.  I tried a few of the tried and true solutions...restarting, ensuring AV excluded P3D.  Eventually when none of this worked, I reinstalled the P3D v4 client.  Now after doing this, I get nothing.  I run P3D v4 as an admin.  P3D will show up in the task manager "processes" for 5-10 seconds and then disappear.

Anyone have any ideas?  While v4 doesn't have everything yet, reinstalling is an extensive process already and I'm hoping to avoid that.  Thanks for any help!

I just had this issue myself..in fact I have had it twice since installing P3Dv4 back in June. The first time I ended up doing a full uninstall/reinstall of P3D as I could not get it fixed.  It happened again very recently and after a lot of troubleshooting it appears the cause on my PC had something to do with ORBX FTX Central.  Something got messed up in the scenery.cfg I believe.  I recall the problem started right after I changed something in the Vector configuration.  At that point, it would also hang on the initial splash screen and the only way I got it to run was by changing P3D to Windows 8 compatibility mode.  I then realized that my OpenLC was no longer showing up in the sim so I uninstalled OpenLC along with Vector and reinstalled them both.  This solved the issue for me.  I think you can also delete your scenery.cfg file and let it rebuild (I THINK..not 100% on that).  

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

can anyone give me a clue how to start..... pd3v4 gets as far as 1st srcreen no menue just black prepar3d.....ftx opens but will not uninstall                                                                                    just closes program. i have sent log to orbx but as yet no reply. need to uninstaal and redo the lot but how i am stuck

13 minutes ago, trainut123 said:

can anyone give me a clue how to start..... pd3v4 gets as far as 1st srcreen no menue just black prepar3d.....ftx opens but will not uninstall                                                                                    just closes program. i have sent log to orbx but as yet no reply. need to uninstaal and redo the lot but how i am stuck

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=123246