Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

7 cm texture resolution

8 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

It depends on how the source was created and if you're using PR (Photoreal).  

I've shown this video before and big thanks to Chris Bell for doing this experiment ... the brown square patch is PR summer time done at LOD19 (that's a whopping 2.2GB of data for that small area).  You easily see the contrast between standard LC (in this case FTX Global) based textures and Chris's PR based textures.

But if you have texture res turned up you'll see just how nice LOD19 can look.  This was more a proof of concept that LOD19 can be done in P3D V4 (obviously can't be done in a 32bit based simulator, but for 64bit it is doable).  Due to youtube compression the video doesn't actually do the real 4K flight experience justice, but it still provides a good enough exposure of what LOD19 looks like:

The downside, 2.2GB for such a small area ... if LOD19 PR were to be used we're probably looking at 1TB (one season, lets hope winter so it's green an lush) for the entire state of CA.  It would be visually stunning (especially if using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10) but selling and deployment of a 1TB scenery set is going to be "difficult" for an end user (expensive) and for those with slow ISP they'd have to receive the data on a USB drive or something.

But, as hardware marches forward and storage continues to be cheaper and bandwidth speeds continue to increase (I'm running a real 1Gbps down and 25Mbps up out of my home for only $99/mo and every year my bandwidth options seem to double).  My prediction is that such impressive LODs will start to become a viable reality.

This test was more proof of concept that it can be done with the right hardware.  But I hope in the near future we see some scenery developers start to use higher LODs for P3D V4 around the airports (mountains around Orbx LOWI would be a good place to start).

Cheers, Rob.

Yes P3D (and FSX - OOM permitting) will happily display PR at whatever LOD its compiled at.  The key question for high res PR is - to what radius will P3D render that high resolution?

I have legacy PR scenery that is compiled to LOD16, but LOD16 imagery is only apparently displayed in a very small radius around the a/c.  Outside of that it seems to use a lower LOD, leading to scenery in the mid distance being blurry and indistinct  For example you can see this at 7:18 in the above video.  Up close its sharp, but look just beyond the pylons towards the upper right, that's all blurry.   I wondered whether that was a legacy scenery issue, given that it may have been a 32bit design limitation to save VAS, but seeing the above video with a custom made single LOD PR in P3D4, I'm wondering whether LM need to do a little bit of work on the display of PR scenery?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

On 2017-10-08 at 5:48 PM, Bert Pieke said:

Just a Heads-Up..

I just noticed that my CPU load increases substantially when choosing 7cm over 1m in Options/Graphics/World.

Visually, cannot really see any difference, but my CPU core loads double..  something to be aware of!

I typically use 5 m Mesh / 1m Textures as my standard setting in Orbx land.

4770K @ 4.1 and GTX 1070.

This happen only with 7cm?

what about in between ? 60 cm? 30? 15?

thanks

mike

On 31/12/2017 at 2:05 PM, mikeymike said:

This happen only with 7cm?

what about in between ? 60 cm? 30? 15?

thanks

mike

In my own testing I've found that 60cm seems to be the sweet spot. 30cm and below induces stutters and higher loads at dense areas. If you got more than 6 threads for terrain loading it might be a different case.

Can anyone tell me if the texture resolution affects scenery placement? I seem to see weirder scenery lines though it might be a placebo effect.

Difference between 60cm and 7cm have any effect with 3rd party scenery from say Fly Tampa, Flightbeam, Orbx, FSDt or the like? 

Eric 

Photoscenery tiles are definitely affected.. like parking lots near airports..

That is the trade-off..

Bert

On 10/8/2017 at 5:48 PM, Bert Pieke said:

Just a Heads-Up..

I just noticed that my CPU load increases substantially when choosing 7cm over 1m in Options/Graphics/World.

Visually, cannot really see any difference, but my CPU core loads double..  something to be aware of!

I typically use 5 m Mesh / 1m Textures as my standard setting in Orbx land.

4770K @ 4.1 and GTX 1070.

Sorry to bring up an old topic 

was just curious if you do the same for v5 ? That is of course if you are on v5?

thanks

mike

1 hour ago, mikeymike said:

Sorry to bring up an old topic 

was just curious if you do the same for v5 ? That is of course if you are on v5?

thanks

mike

I do, indeed..

Bert

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I do, indeed..

Thanks for the reply, would you use the same  principle if you had an i9 ?

thanks

mike

6 hours ago, mikeymike said:

Thanks for the reply, would you use the same  principle if you had an i9 ?

thanks

mike

I would start there, and if all is performing well, try higher settings..

If there is no or little visual difference, why load up the system more?

• Like 1

Bert

Reading this, I saw a few guys posting who I hadn't heard from for a while. Hurrah!

Then I realized that I'd time-traveled back to 2017... 😪

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."