Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Liking Xplane11 more and more

I've been flipping back and forth between Xplane11 and P3dV4, but as I've become more skilled with Ortho4xp I am really liking what I see in Xplane11.  I've mapped much of the west in photoreal scenery.  So I have tons of VFR routes to choose from.  I still like each sim about equally, mainly because my aircraft add-ons are in P3d.  I love that one can create videos in Xplane11.  They turn out very well.  The flight feel is very fluid compared to what it used to be on my older system, which would get OOM errors with more VRAM than my current card.  Pretty amazing with all that photoreal scenery loaded up.   I have a video in the videos forum that you can see the end result and the smoothness of the sim.  The video was recorded at 30 fps

John

• Upvote 2

Guest JustanotherPilot

Have to agree with you..since the yet, unresolved CTD issue with prepar3dv3.4 and the FSX only release of the QWSIM 787, I find  I'm using XP11 more and am starting to build my airliner fleet, contemplating the FJS Dash 8 next to appease my lack of use of the Majestic Q400 because of the CTD problem. What I really like with XP11 is the speed you can start , select an aircraft, airport, the day/time and start flying. it loads in about a 1/3 the time of P3D. I'm still using P3Dv4 because of my Addon aircraft/scenery outlay but really enjoying XP11.

Hello John

I understand that your are a XP fan as I was.

I'm in plan to make a coming back in XP in near future, when p3dv4 shall be on level I want. Because in mine XP hangar they are some aircrafts waiting to me.

What fsx and p3d users don't know is that installations and upgrades in XP is a dream, folders are clearly and logicaly regrouped, is easy to change or correct a bad texture because compilation is mostly not needed.

ORBX retracted their intentions to implant sceneries in XP because they don't find a automation to recupered their humans animations. I'm little sad about.

Sure to have a lot of sim, is diskspace consuming... ;-))

11 minutes ago, ms2 said:

Hello John

I understand that your are a XP fan as I was.

I'm in plan to make a coming back in XP in near future, when p3dv4 shall be on level I want. Because in mine XP hangar they are some aircrafts waiting to me.

What fsx and p3d users don't know is that installations and upgrades in XP is a dream, folders are clearly and logicaly regrouped, is easy to change or correct a bad texture because compilation is mostly not needed.

ORBX retracted their intentions to implant sceneries in XP because they don't find a automation to recupered their humans animations. I'm little sad about.

Sure to have a lot of sim, is diskspace consuming... ;-))

Right now I am building an ambitious project, photoreal scenery extending from California north to Washington, and east to Montana, Wyoming,Western Nebraska, Colorado, and South to Western Texas, all of New Mexico, and Arizona.  It should take a day or two to complete.  If it works out, I may be switching to Xplane permanently.  I bought a new joystick today, my old one was fried after eight years of use, a simple one with just pitch, throttle, roll and a button for elevator up trim, and one for down trim. 

John

8 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

I may be switching to Xplane permanently

I'm eable to unterstand this choice... And good job on your photoreal regions, good luck too.

There are aspects of X-Plane that really make it a unique simulator... I tend to concentrate on details that for most are a true waste of time, but we're all different thanks God !... Now, one of these simming sessions I was trying to find out how X-Plane deals with ground tail crosswinds....

Pick the 744, empty it's tanks a bit from default - set it with say 20K  kg ( 44K Lb ) of fuel, place it on a rw and set the max possible wind  from say your 4 o'clock (tail right) or 8 o'clock ( tail left )....

You can add a max gusting component too, but make sure shear is set to ZERO to avoid shear in your test.

Now observe how correctly the aircraft, even standing still, is tilted away from the wind as it should, and as you start taxiing and your speed is low, you'll have to use ( counter-intuitive ) away from the wind  yoke ( ailerons ) in order to try to keep the wings level... As the aircraft accelerates, and the relative wind speed becomes positive ( from  ahead ) you'll have to reverse the yoke input and use the usual - into the wind - technique...

This is basic stuff if you're costumed to fly / handle aircraft irl, but most flight simulators lack this level of detail...

And, apart from the excellent and inexpensive scenery areas, that we can all build and fly over, reinforced now by the upcoming ( X-Plane 11.10 ) World Scenery featured objects, better weather engines for the future, a default G1000 implemented with a immense level of detail, and much, much more goodies, I can only understand your feel, even if, for feeling flight even closer to my rl experience, I still pick IL-2 BoS :-)

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...