Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Precipitation effects in P3Dv4

Since the release of P3Dv4 I would say we're halfway there.

Finally we have snow that actually looks like and behaves like snow. Unfortunately the same thing can't be said about the rain which IMO looks really bad and more like a mix of snow and rain. The rain in FSX and P3D versions prior to P3Dv4 with help from PrecipitFX or ENVTEX looked much better if you ask me. The detailed precipitation option found under the Weather section in P3Dv4 doesn't seem to help. I've also tried the rain effect provided by ENVTEX but still not much of an improvement if any.

I found a tip how you can disable the rain effect all together but not sure I want to go that far. Instead I'm hoping for an improvement down the road. Either provided by LM themselves or a 3rd party app such as ENVTEX or similar. Do we dare to hope the rain will look better in the P3Dv4.1 version that is said to be released tomorrow...

Did anyone else found a way to make the rain look better in P3Dv4?

Richard Åsberg

Richard, v4.1 is supposed to enhance the rain effect from the cockpit AFAIK.

:-)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

2 minutes ago, David Roch said:

Richard, v4.1 is supposed to enhance the rain effect from the cockpit AFAIK.

:-)

I heard that too but the way I understood it that was more the effect on the cockpit windows and probably only for some of the default a/c where hopefully add-on developers will be able to use the same technique in upcoming products.

Or did you also hear something about the look of the actual rain (drops) seen outside the a/c or in spot view etc?

To be honest I'm a bit surprised we need to discuss these kind of things in late 2017 considering all other kind of things that have been achieved the last couple of years but still we don't have realistically looking rain.

Richard Åsberg

And the AI lights, and the ATC behaviour, and so many other little things that are still missing.

But what can you do.. Live in hope that these things get fixed by LM or third party developers.

Simbol 

True but I think some things are more fundamental than others precipitation being one of them and I wish LM comes to the same conclusion when they put their prio list together.

Not everyone has any interest in AI ATC for instance but everyone will experience weather effects regardless of what type of flying they're doing be it online/offline, in a huge airliner or a small GA a/c.

Richard Åsberg

5 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

Not everyone has any interest in AI ATC for instance.

But a lot of people do, you can read complains about go arounds, bad ATC traffic handling, own ESP ATC bad handling, etc. all around different forums and sim communities available.

Simbol 

20 minutes ago, simbol said:

But a lot of people do, you can read complains about go arounds, bad ATC traffic handling, own ESP ATC bad handling, etc. all around different forums and sim communities available.

Simbol 

I know lots of people have been hoping for better ATC and AI behavior out-of-the-box for many years but I still think global effects affecting everyone is more important to get right before starting to work on features used by some/many but far from all.

Richard Åsberg

25 minutes ago, simbol said:

Simbol 

The focus should be on giving third party developers the tools to enhance the sim significantly instead of making the enhancements themselves.  I would much rather they spend significant resource creating an expansive SDK.  The third party community will deliver the goods - including better AI ATC.  Although everyone who is half serious about simulation should be on VATSIM and not using canned, silly sounding, synthetic ATC

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ErichB said:

The focus should be on giving third party developers the tools to enhance the sim significantly instead of making the enhancements themselves.  I would much rather they spend significant resource creating an expansive SDK.  The third party community will deliver the goods - including better AI ATC.  Although everyone who is half serious about simulation should be on VATSIM and not using canned, silly sounding, synthetic ATC

And the problem is that they haven't, I found ways around it but I have hopes V4.1 will give me better tools.

S.

22 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Very true all of it!

Richard Åsberg

1 hour ago, simbol said:

Simbol 

I totally agree! Just something as simple as traffic landing on the right runway while departures use the left instead of everybody using one while the other sits empty would help immensely! The other day I sat at the hold point for runway 34L at KSLC for who knows how long while everybody landed on 34L. 34R was just sitting there, reserved for the use of the Jackrabbits, I guess...

I finally turned traffic off so I could get out of there!

Russ

• Upvote 1

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

So back on topic...is there anyone in here who found a way to make the rain effect in P3Dv4 look better while we're waiting for LM or 3rd party devs to come up with a better effect?

Richard Åsberg

1 minute ago, WebMaximus said:

So back on topic...is there anyone in here who found a way to make the rain effect in P3Dv4 look better while we're waiting for LM or 3rd party devs to come up with a better effect?

I think PrecipitFX is as good as it gets for now.

3 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

The rain in FSX and P3D versions prior to P3Dv4 with help from PrecipitFX or ENVTEX looked much better if you ask me.

20 minutes ago, ErichB said:

I think PrecipitFX is as good as it gets for now.

Richard, you can use PrecipitFX in V4. It works and looks much better than the "new" rain effect. Just disable "detailed precipitation" in the P3D menu in order to make the effects work. If you want the new snow effect, just enable "detailed precipitation" again. The best of two worlds...

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR