Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Precipitation effects in P3Dv4

All this said, is the precipitFX product not a sufficient upgrade to the rain and snow effects? I don't own this and am genuinely curious if it's a worthy upgrade.

- Aaron

46 minutes ago, slait said:

All this said, is the precipitFX product not a sufficient upgrade to the rain and snow effects? I don't own this and am genuinely curious if it's a worthy upgrade.

It does improve the visual representation of rain and snow; the latter looks more realistic than the former.  It's worth the price as it adds additional options too (e.g. contrails); however, if you're using AS16/ASCA, I suggest looking into TOGA ENVTEX...it's a MUCH better bang for the buck....

Matt King

Actually, not as conflicted as you might think. I have bought most of the available ATC programs except for VoxATC, and in my honest opinion PATC gives me the most realistic performance. 

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

7 hours ago, Chock said:

Ironically, when I cranked up FSX this week to fly the QW 787, I had real world weather on, and it was raining, so the apron was wet. Forgot how much better that is in FSX than P3D which doesn't have that effect at all.

I think this is related to the airport scenery.

I do get very realistically looking wet surfaces at Orbx ESSA for instance and with dynamic reflections enabled I even saw the control tower mirrored in the ground when I was taxiing in to my gate last night.

Richard Åsberg

Hello to you all!

Before I read this post, I noticed too that 'new' rain in P3D version4 is very uggly. Flown in Amsterdam yesterday and first time with rain, because I installed version 4 last week, was surprised that it snow. I thought AS was got mad and gave the wrong weather. It really looks as snow.

Now I read this post, I know it wasnt snow but a very uggly way of LM to present rain, which was okee in version3.

But I also read that you were waiting for version 4.1 with the hope that this issue would have been repaired. NOT

With version4.1 no change in this terrible case.

Best regards,
Ed

Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards,
Ed Koorevaar

Yep, I really have to wonder how LM felt happy enough with the rain effect in version 4 to release it and especially when they finally got the snow to look really good!

And again, having to hope for these kind of things in 2017 with today's hardware and a simulator platform that has been improved by really sharp brains for many years, that's rather lame IMO.

Things like realistic precipitation in a professional flight simulator where weather is one of the most important ingredients should be a given certainty if you ask me.

But maybe the problem is that the visual effect of precipitation is more seen as eye candy rather than something required in this kind of simulator.

We can only keep our fingers crossed  the rain effect will be improved down the road, either by LM themselves or by 3rd party developers.

Right now the visual effect of rain is so bad I wish there was a way to hide the so called rain drops all together.

So, if anyone knows how to accomplish that in version 4 please let me know.

I found a tip how to achieve this in P3Dv3 but I couldn't make it work in P3Dv4.

Richard Åsberg

Thanks for the reply, Richard

A bit silly what they have done. I can't imagine that their eyes (LM developers) won't open soon. I see it as a great bug, which appeared during the version4 development and that version 4 had to be released, no matter what and that this bug, would be solved in a matter of time.

Curious for som LM replies.

Have a nice weekend!

Ed

Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards,
Ed Koorevaar

You too have a nice weekend Ed, or what's left of it anyway :happy:

Richard Åsberg

For anyone who didn't already notice, Envtex 1.1.1 has been released and I'm very happy to say the rain effect is a major improvement!!

Finally the rain doesn't looks like snow anymore but much more like actual rain.

Way to go TOGA !!

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

22 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

For anyone who didn't already notice, Envtex 1.1.1 has been released and I'm very happy to say the rain effect is a major improvement!!

Finally the rain doesn't looks like snow anymore but much more like actual rain.

Way to go TOGA !!

So you are finally happy, thank God for that, post a video of before and after so we can see the difference.

Simbol 

11 minutes ago, simbol said:

So you are finally happy, thank God for that, post a video of before and after so we can see the difference.

Simbol 

+1 :)

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Hard to see in a video and especially when shot directly off the screen with a mobile but here goes.

Do note the difference is much more obvious seen live on your own screen.

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

On 09/10/2017 at 6:29 AM, WebMaximus said:

True but I think some things are more fundamental than others precipitation being one of them and I wish LM comes to the same conclusion when they put their prio list together.

Not everyone has any interest in AI ATC for instance but everyone will experience weather effects regardless of what type of flying they're doing be it online/offline, in a huge airliner or a small GA a/c.

I agree but it's not an all or nothing proposition here. But I would like this fixed as the environment is a crucial aspect to the immersion. And the rain effects up to now leave a lot to be desired. TrueGlass from TFDi is one example from an internal cockpit perception which to me should be the minimum. With 4.1 hopefully this will be addressed by developers generally now. Really no reason to continue with the poor internal perception of rain and snow going forward.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb