Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

VR is great but it's not my thing

I am one of the lucky old guys that, so far, does not get sick using VR. It is interesting that young people handle it better than us old dudes. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

9 minutes ago, warbirds said:

I am one of the lucky old guys that, so far, does not get sick using VR. It is interesting that young people handle it better than us old dudes. 

Well isn't it because we are born with a high clock rate that gradually decreases with age? You must have been delivered as an overclocked model Paul.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Overcooked maybe :)

• Upvote 1

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

10 minutes ago, warbirds said:

Overcooked maybe :)

Not too crispy. :laugh:

• Upvote 1

My analogy has always been that human beings start out nuclear powered, but end up with passive solar... (sitting on a porch, soaking up the sun)

• Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

45 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

My analogy has always been that human beings start out nuclear powered, but end up with passive solar... (sitting on a porch, soaking up the sun)

Well, that's a cute way of looking at it, HyFlyer. :biggrin:

So long as VR keeps improving it will be good enough for everyone in the end. Need VR contact lenses, I hate wearing goggles.

From my experience flight simulation in VR for now only worth for VFR, when i tried the first time P3D with flyinside my feeling was that i will never go back to 2d, but that feeling changed when i first tried to made my first IFR flight with the Airbus, being on that cockpit is awesome, but is a stress to use the FMC, read charts, and you cannot use any other external addon like EFB for example... Nevertheless in VFR , that have o lot less to do in the cockpit, playing in VR is priceless, nothing like being on that downwind having the perfect sense where you are relative to the runway...

The present status for me is waiting for the release of flyinside for P3d V4(is going to be released after this last announced update for P3D v4) and the native VR support for x-plane 11..Probably im going to do the first pilotedge certifications on one of these 2 :)

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

You want immersion try the Alabeo Waco. Open cockpit flying is amazing in VR. 

• Upvote 2

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Hi guys, 

I think a lot of posters haven't given VR a proper chance. When I first tried, it was a great novelty but I couldn't complete long flights. 

You need to stick with it to get your 'VR' legs. And you absolutely must be getting good frame rates - nothing that dips below 45 frames per second. If you do, you'll probably dislike it. Orbx and PMDG are not really viable, at least for beginners.

How to get your legs in P3D v4:

• Good computer, very good video card.
  • You MUST drop settings, to get a smooth 45 or 90 frames per second (on the CV1). Choose simple scenery - I use photoscenery, custom objects at airports, avoid large airports and mainly fly GA. 
  • Blow a fan on your face (airflow). Keep the room cool.
  • As soon as you feel sick - stop. Increase a little each day.

I think I flew for six hours total yesterday, 1-2 hours at a time, no problems at all. Best thing I've ever done in the world of simulation, outstanding.

Oh, and I did do a few PMDG NGX/777 flights yesterday as well - they're possible, with a bit of tweaking.

Cheers!

Rob

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

48 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

You need to stick with it to get your 'VR' legs. And you absolutely must be getting good frame rates - nothing that dips below 45 frames per second. If you do, you'll probably dislike it. Orbx and PMDG are not really viable, at least for beginners.

And that's what I meant in one of my earlier posts. At the moment, it's actually considered as an accomplishment to get "30 smooth frames a second", but that's definitely not gonna cut it with VR, and absolutely not if you also attempt to use high supersampling to get the clearest apparent image in a given legacy sim. (unreadable text/instruments and stutters stutters stutters)

Asynchronous timewarp does its best to try to smooth things out fps-wise, but generally what we are trying to pull out of our legacy sims is right on the borders of possibility.

I think/suspect that's why you see so many dedicated P3D/PMDG/Tubeliner types, whose setups are already straining in 2D, finding it a bit unsatisfying when switching to VR and then also having to make the compromises to get it to work (at all) in 3D and ending up with an intriguing, but eventually underwhelming experience.

Maybe in the end, it might require the eventual retirement of ESP ( Yes, I know that's practically blasphemy) before the hobby can move into a future that can truly take advantage of new technologies.

Normally I would tell people to give DCS a shot, to see what things could be like, but there's a fairly strong bias against military sims, so I suspect we will have to wait for Flyinside sim and others to really show the community the true possibilities and potential. (in regards to vr)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

39 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Hi guys, 

I think a lot of posters haven't given VR a proper chance. When I first tried, it was a great novelty but I couldn't complete long flights. 

How to get your legs in P3D v4:

• Good computer, very good video card.
  • You MUST drop settings, to get a smooth 45 or 90 frames per second (on the CV1). Choose simple scenery - I use photoscenery, custom objects at airports, avoid large airports and mainly fly GA. 
  • Blow a fan on your face (airflow). Keep the room cool.
  • As soon as you feel sick - stop. Increase a little each day.

I think I flew for six hours total yesterday, 1-2 hours at a time, no problems at all. Best thing I've ever done in the world of simulation, outstanding.

Oh, and I did do a few PMDG NGX/777 flights yesterday as well - they're possible, with a bit of tweaking.

Cheers!

Rob

If "by proper chance", you mean stop using charts, don't write down clearances and ATIS, and don't use my simpit...that would not be for me.

14 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

If "by proper chance", you mean stop using charts, don't write down clearances and ATIS, and don't use my simpit...that would not be for me.

"Proper chance" - work out how to get around obstacles. FlyInside will let you use charts and see notes you've previously written down. Re: simpit - I  have tried it with my 737 dual-seat trainer, it's interesting (hand presence in VR versus cockpit), but I don't do it in practice. The DST is covered up, sadly pushed into the corner to allow me space to use roomscale VR.

Sure, I'm a fan, but VR can do a lot, but not everything, and yes there are some things that a simpit will always be better for - I just get more presence in a VR 737 than my simpit 737, so for now I'm 100% VR, hopefully get back to the 737 pit construction project sometime!

Edit: P.S. I have flyinside, but as I only fly P3D v4 im just using the native VR.

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

36 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

And that's what I meant in one of my earlier posts. At the moment, it's actually considered generally as an accomplishment to get "30 smooth frames a second", but that's definitely not gonna cut it with VR, and absolutely not if you also attempt to use high supersampling to get the clearest apparent image in a given legacy sim. (unreadable text/instruments and stutters stutters stutters)

Asynchronous timewarp does its best to try to smooth things out fps-wise, but generally what we are trying to pull out of our legacy sims is right on the borders of possibility.

I think/suspect that's why you see so many dedicated P3D/PMDG/Tubeliner types, whose setups are already straining in 2D, finding it a bit unsatisfying when switching to VR and then also having to make the compromises to get it to work (at all) in 3D and ending up with an intriguing, but eventually underwhelming experience.

I suspect in the end, it's going to require the eventual retirement of ESP ( Yes, I know that's practically blasphemy) before the hobby can move into a future that can truly take advantage of new technologies.

Normally I would tell people to give DCS a shot, to see what things could be like, but there's a fairly strong bias against military sims, so I suspect we will have to wait for Flyinside sim and others to really show the community the true possibilities and potential. (in regards to vr)

I use the maximum supersampling - 2.0 - no real problems. As I said, you need to get at least 45 solid FPS, 30 won't cut it (with the PMDG birds it dips down sub-45, I live with that when I have to if I want to fly a complex tubeliner VR). Btw, I believe 1.5 super sampling is fine, law of diminishing returns after that, but 2.0 works in P3D so I use it.

So when you say "absolutely not", it's actually "absolutely yes", I fly with full-right supersampling pretty much every day. :happy:

However, I think a lot of people who quickly gave up on VR never even worked out what supersampling/Appolyon VR tool are.

DCS is fine, but I don't seem to fly it much. Aerofly FS2 is the sim if you want super-smooth with modest hardware, lock that at 120 FPS and see what smooth VR really is. But in practice, I find I'm VR flying P3D v4 all the time, and when 4.1 comes out in an hour or two it should be way better!

Get tweaking lads... :)

Oz

5 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Aerofly FS2 is the sim if you want super-smooth with modest hardware, lock that at 120 FPS and see what smooth VR really is.

And that's my personal curse. After I've seen Orbx Lowi at 2.0 supersampling at max fps in VR and then go back to other sims (I Purchased both the P3D and Aerofly versions so I could compare) I find myself sighing and going "If only"

My AF version is so clear! (Well, I think the af Lowi night lights are kinda fuzzy)

As a heads up, Aerofly will be shortly addressing some of the concerns in this thread, and I think people will be pleased.

Devons rig

Hurrah for Aerofly, I'm a fan, I just honestly haven't flown it since LOWI/Meigs came out and I gave them a shot. Im sort of the opposite, I just enjoy P3D more right now, maybe it's the greater depth, maybe it's that I just love flying and walking around scenery that I made for non-VR prepar3d, and I havent got into scenery building for Aerofly yet. Lot sof potential there, though, great base to build on.

Edit: and as for 2.0 supersampling in P3D, card seems to handle it OK, I think it used to work fine - at least at 1.5 - when I used to use a GTX 970, but a high-end card is certainly nice if you like your supersampling (using a 1080Ti for VR purposes). As I mentioned, Ive read that 1.5 is the max that makes a difference in general VR, but 2.0 seems sharper to me (non-scientific) in P3D so I run it, cards still got some GPU overhead (it's the clouds that really bring it to its knees) 

Oz