Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Landing PMDG Aircraft while in Window View

I think the PMDG aircraft (737, 777, and 747) are modelled extremely well.  I have landed at several airports, mostly in the 747, and, after setting up for the landing (landing lights, gear down, flaps down, landing speed set, speedbrake armed, App enabled), I can go to my 2nd Class window seat and watch the approach and landing there completely until the aircraft stops.  Then I hit F1, lower the speedbrake and raise the flaps and then go back to the cockpit.  I can do this even in heavy weather.  Just amazing to watch the landing from there.  Next time I will go to the seat behind the pilots and watch the landing from there.  Fun stuff!

Jim

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Can you imagine a real world pilot doing the same? "This is your captain speaking, don't be afraid I am watching the landing from the window seat and it looks great" :biggrin:

• Upvote 5

Fortunately, what we do in flight simulation is nowhere near what a real world pilot would do.  :huh:

My OP is something I do once in a while but, with the heavies, I've been doing it a lot more. 

• Upvote 2

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

23 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Fortunately, what we do in flight simulation is nowhere near what a real world pilot would do.  :huh:

+1

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

Never did that but I am certainly going to give that a go!

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

Waiting for a vid Jim ...

regards, Gerard

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I don't do videos but have pictures....  This morning I landed at St Louis in heavy fog.  There are many videos on YouTube of FS landings in WingView but most of those are from using the "replay mode" after landing as many did not dare to try to land while in wingview.  In FSX (and previous versions of P3D and PMDG), I never was able to land in WingView as the aircraft would usually run off of the runway soon after landing.  Now the aircraft lands in the middle of the runway and stays there all the way to when it stops.  Perhaps one who is  proficient in making videos can post one some day soon.  Add some children screaming and babies crying during the approach phase and you have realism! :blink: 

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

Add some children screaming and babies crying during the approach phase and you have realism! :blink: 

This is why any Ryanair repaints are unrealistic for either the PMDG or iFly 737-800 NGs, such repaints need the cabin to be full of drunken chavs shouting at their horrible children to behave, who incidentally, are always named after either minor TV celebrities, talentless R&B 'singers', or Premier League football players. Adding the audio of that would be more realistic than VR.

If anyone wants to have a go at creating that recording (you can market it commercially I suppose, perhaps you could call it AccuScum), you will not need to board an aeroplane, you can simply go to any Aldi supermarket in the UK and the audio environment will be identical to that of a typical Ryanair Boeing 737; in fact the decor will be more or less identical too.

This is why it only costs about three quid to fly five thousand miles on any Ryanair flight, the caveat being that if you want to take anything heavier than a toothbrush on board, it will be an additional 200 quid and you will land at the airport with the cheapest landing fees which is within a 300 mile radius of where your flight was supposedly going. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

This is why it only costs about three quid to fly five thousand miles on any Ryanair flight, the caveat being that if you want to take anything heavier than a toothbrush on board, it will be an additional 200 quid and you will land at the airport with the cheapest landing fees which is within a 300 mile radius of where your flight was supposedly going.

I'm thinking that maybe Chase shouldn't use you to review Ryanair here at AVSIM!  :laugh: 

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

That was pure genius, Alan! Well, bloody funny anyway! Cheers!

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I tried this before, but like you said, my plane will eventually steer off the runway's centerline... are you doing an ILS CAT Autoland or something? Could you please show us how to do this. I would love to watch my landing from a passenger's point of view also... 

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

7 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I tried this before, but like you said, my plane will eventually steer off the runway's centerline...

You are doing something wrong.  Read the manuals and do some tutorials and you will learn how to do it without the need of monitoring the landing from the VC.  It really is no different from landing a PMDG aircraft at any airport while in the VC.  You do exactly the same as you would do on any approach only this time you do a CTRL+S and enjoy a wingview of the landing.  You mean you land the PMDG aircraft manually w/o engaging the AP?  You definitely need more experience on how to use the AP if that's what you are doing.  If the aircraft is steering off the runway's centerline, then you have a problem with your configuration or calibration of your controller as that only happened in FSX days and with previous versions of PMDG aircraft.  Keep your hands off the pedals, throttle and other controllers and just engage the APP when on final.

Submit News to AVSIM

6 hours ago, Chock said:

This is why any Ryanair repaints are unrealistic for either the PMDG or iFly 737-800 NGs, such repaints need the cabin to be full of drunken chavs shouting at their horrible children to behave, who incidentally, are always named after either minor TV celebrities, talentless R&B 'singers', or Premier League football players. Adding the audio of that would be more realistic than VR.

If anyone wants to have a go at creating that recording (you can market it commercially I suppose, perhaps you could call it AccuScum), you will not need to board an aeroplane, you can simply go to any Aldi supermarket in the UK and the audio environment will be identical to that of a typical Ryanair Boeing 737; in fact the decor will be more or less identical too.

This is why it only costs about three quid to fly five thousand miles on any Ryanair flight, the caveat being that if you want to take anything heavier than a toothbrush on board, it will be an additional 200 quid and you will land at the airport with the cheapest landing fees which is within a 300 mile radius of where your flight was supposedly going. :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN9VcCzMSqg

I would recommend watching that for anybody who is interested in what Ryanair is known for, or those (myself included) who have flown them and know what they're about. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2