Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

Patch Bluesday and P3D v4.1

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but tomorrow's release of P3D v4.1 coincides with Microsoft's regular monthly "patch Tuesday" (2nd Tuesday of each month) routine update release.

Note that the last patch boofered P3D for many people with Win 10 and one/both of updates KB4038788 and/or KB4040724.  And this came today on the P3D forums from Rob McCarthy at Lockheed Martin:

Microsoft has identified the cause of the issue. Unfortunately this bug will still be present in the upcoming Fall Creator's update. We are continuing to work with them and will provide additional updates once we have more information on when a patch for Windows will be released containing this fix. We will do our best to expedite the process as much as possible.

So...it probably would be wise to consider how you want to let the MS update cycle proceed (or not) before upgrading to P3D v4.1, and be aware that if the new install has problems, these MS updates may be behind it.

Nothing...can...be...simple.

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

14 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Nothing...can...be...simple.

Regards

That would be too easy.

I am already leery with the new Nvidia Driver as it did not install on the first go, claiming a problem with (what I think is HiFi's) as_sound module. A wipe clean and a fresh install solved it, so....I hope. The idea that Windows 10 may be problematic is another uncertainty. Oh well, better get to bed, tomorrow promises to be a big day at 3:00pm LM standard time, and beyond...

Kind regards,

Just remove the faulting update again, it took me about five minutes including the reboot.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

A good reason that it's very wise to have your Flightsim installation on an dedicated OS, easy to get this with a multiboot installation.

On your "FS-OS" you can then deactivate the OS updates, leave the AV and other bloatware out you won't need for running P3D or else. Only concentrate on important things like drivers and stuff.

You gain an flightsimming system that is slim and running like hell!

• Upvote 2

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

3 hours ago, DavidP said:

Gotta love Win 7 :wink:

Gotta love FSX as well, but P3Dv4 is the superior sim. I wonder what addons v4.1 will break.

42 minutes ago, Victoroos said:

wait, what did the updates in windows brake?

Have no idea, didn't notice any issues with using Windows 10. Waiting for Fall Creators Update and will reinstall my system completely

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

1 hour ago, Johnny19 said:

Waiting for Fall Creators Update and will reinstall my system completely

Same here. I'm not in a hurry with P3D 4.1 anyway because it will probably take some time before all addons I use will work with it. So I will patiently await the Windows update (until the installer for a clean reinstall has also been updated) and whenever enough P3D addons have been reported to work with 4.1 I will do a clean install of W10 and then P3D 4.1. Looking forward to it. I actually LOVE doing clean installs. Nothing nicer than a clean system with only the latest drivers and software and everything. It's a great way to completely get rid of software I installed during the last two or three months (I reinstall my OS a few times a year) but don't use anymore. Which is quite a list already. 

EDIT

6 hours ago, w6kd said:

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but tomorrow's release of P3D v4.1 coincides with Microsoft's regular monthly "patch Tuesday" (2nd Tuesday of each month) routine update release.

Come to think of it: the fall update will be released October 17th: for a while I thought people were expecting the fall update today. Anyway, will MS actually do a monthly patch today when a huge update is coming in a week...? By the time the fall update will be available for download (to do a complete reinstall) I think quite a few P3D addons will already be working with 4.1. 

7 hours ago, DavidP said:

Gotta love Win 7 :wink:

When Win10 came out, I posted several times that I thought that the auto-update feature of 10 was going to be bad news for simmers, and was crucified for having that opinion. Oh well... LOL...

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

When Win10 came out, I posted several times that I thought that the auto-update feature of 10 was going to be bad news for simmers, and was crucified for having that opinion. Oh well... LOL...

A simple setting change shuts off W10 auto update. 

• Upvote 2

Eric 

2 hours ago, J van E said:

Same here. I'm not in a hurry with P3D 4.1 anyway because it will probably take some time before all addons I use will work with it. So I will patiently await the Windows update (until the installer for a clean reinstall has also been updated) and whenever enough P3D addons have been reported to work with 4.1

I'm under the impression that devs have had 4.1 for a while now solely for this purpose.

6 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

I'm under the impression that devs have had 4.1 for a while now solely for this purpose.

Based on comments from some addon developers, it looks like only major devs like PMDG, ORBX or FSLabs got access to the 4.1 beta version, most 'small' developers will get the update at the same time as us mortals. 

10 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

That is true.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

9 hours ago, w6kd said:

Note that the last patch boofered P3D for many people with Win 10 and one/both of updates KB4038788 and/or KB4040724.

I thought this only crashed in conjunction with P3D3 and not v4.