Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

Patch Bluesday and P3D v4.1

48 minutes ago, B777ER said:

A simple setting change shuts off W10 auto update. 

Where is that?  I'd love to know.  Every time Windows updates without my consent, I feel violated.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ErichB said:

Where is that?  I'd love to know.

Google is your friend.  Sorry but gurus are better at explaining the process than us. 

You can also uninstall updates that you've already installed.  There was one Win10 update that was affecting P3D v3 from starting.  Uninstalled and everything then worked.  

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

4 minutes ago, jason99vmi said:

Google is your friend.  Sorry but gurus are better at explaining the process than us. 

You can also uninstall updates that you've already installed.  There was one Win10 update that was affecting P3D v3 from starting.  Uninstalled and everything then worked.  

I thought the only thing you could do was modify when the installs happen.  I've never found any option to completely switch off the updates 

9 hours ago, DavidP said:

Gotta love Win 7 :wink:

Gotta to love disabling windows 10 updates :biggrin:

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

11 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Where is that?  I'd love to know.  Every time Windows updates without my consent, I feel violated.

Go to services and disable Windows update service, best secure way of never being update raped again :cool:

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

8 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

Go to services and disable Windows update service, best secure way of never being update raped again :cool:

That actually won't help. I've found out (at least in my case) that the service re-activates or runs anyway when doing this after restarting a couple of times. 

I had a devil of a time preventing Windows Update from installing Creators Update (build 1703). I ended up finding an application, which could hide/exclude specific Windows Updates from being installed. That, coupled with a registry hack which hides the Windows Creators Update Privacy Review word not allowed from installing and starting up worked... 

Another way, is changing the user of the Windows Update Service from the System User to some user which doesn't have any permissions... I don't know if that's good idea in general, though... But it's a workaround... 

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

6 hours ago, SierraHotel said:

Just remove the faulting update again, it took me about five minutes including the reboot.

That may not fix the issue, once the registry damage (perhaps errors is a better word as the KB doesn't actually corrupt the registry) is done it can't be undone unless you do a system restore.

With that said, I went ahead with both of the those KB's and V4.1 is working well ... but you might need to setup compatibility modes for P3D (Windows 8).  What seems to be the issue is security updates and messing up account permissions.  I reported the issues around KB4038788 which impacts more than just P3D to Microsoft the day I installed the update on my development PC, I got the usual response from Microsoft "it's you not me".  Fortunately enough people have reported problems and logged official bug reports that Microsoft actually (I'm sure reluctantly) put some engineer resources into validation of the issues.

So the positive spin is that Microsoft will fix it, when that fix is deployed is currently unknown.  But the end is not near, P3D V4.1 can still work with KB4038788 and KB4040724 installed without having to wipe one's OS and start all over again.

41 minutes ago, Woozie said:

it looks like only major devs like PMDG, ORBX or FSLabs got access to the 4.1 beta version, most 'small' developers will get the update at the same time as us mortals.

I guess that depends on your perspective of what one considers a large development team ... personally I would consider all FS developers to be "small" including PMDG and Orbx relative to the average size of development teams around the global working the corporate world, AA game titles, and beyond.  However, with that said, many ("small", "large", and "medium") 3rd party content provides were provided access to V4.x and many actively provided excellent feedback (finding issues) that helped LM make V4.1 a reality.  Was EVERY 3rd party content provider involved, no, obviously not as that would be unmanageable.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, you confirming you have 4.1 already?:happy:

I am a very small add-on developer at this stage, would it be possible to obtain beta access to future patches from LM?

Many thanks for the information provided.

Simbol 

6 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

That actually won't help. I've found out (at least in my case) that the service re-activates or runs anyway when doing this after restarting a couple of times. 

I had a devil of a time preventing Windows Update from installing Creators Update (build 1703). I ended up finding an application, which could hide/exclude specific Windows Updates from being installed. That, coupled with a registry hack which hides the Windows Creators Update Privacy Review word not allowed from installing and starting up worked... 

Another way, is changing the user of the Windows Update Service from the System User to some user which doesn't have any permissions... I don't know if that's good idea in general, though... But it's a workaround... 

Really? well i have mine disabled since the announce of the creators update and has been like that since then, no probs for me and no creators(aka destroyers) on my system.

Marques

Just now, dmarques69 said:

Really? well i have mine disabled since the announce of the creators update and has been like that since then, no probs for me and no creators(aka destroyers) on my system.

Interestingly I've found, that the service 'awakes' again after trying to disable it. Oh, well... can't explain it and I don't know why... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

2 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

Interestingly I've found, that the service 'awakes' again after trying to disable it. Oh, well... can't explain it and I don't know why... 

Well theres something that i forgot to say, im using this tool to tweak windows 10

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-4-windows-10

Maybe is something here that i changed that is making this behaviour, nevertheless to stop the updates i simple did what i said before.

Marques

10 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

You need to have Win10 Professional for this to stick ;-)

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models