Sign in to follow this  
gfrancis7

Radar Contact V4 Recent Purchase: Thoughts and Tips

Hello,

After becoming frustrated with the inadequacies of default FSX ATC, I wanted to use a more sophistication system of ATC and I won't go into great detail of the problems of default ATC as you all already well aware of them but my two biggest issues were aircraft being too close to me on approach and final and the inability to automatically answer radio communications. I got into simming a couple of months ago and I've wanted to improve the experience.

I did some research and the name that kept cropping up was Radar Contact V4 but I was concerned by its age, concern over lack of technical support, wasn't sure if it was compatible with Windows 10 and some fears that it may be too complex to use with basic aircraft like defaults as I had only just bought my first payware aircraft, the CapSim 767 and still use default planes now and again. I did see some conflicting opinions but decided to take the risk over the other payware ATC add ons.

So I bought the program, installed it and sent the email to receive product key in the format prescribed and received the key around an hour later from the automated system.

To: register@jdtllc.com

-123456789 ! Forename ! Surname

But then I got my first issue, the missing msstdfmt.dll but I did seem to be a common issue from what I read. Long story short after some trouble shooting I downloaded the missing file from the pinned thread 713 and unregistered dll's and (I think) I downloaded it from this reply:

On 04/01/2014 at 4:23 PM, Jean-Paul said:

I'm also a little nervous about downloading system files from internet but I thought why not? So I followed the registry procedure again and it seemed to accept the new file, fired up RC and boom it worked like that scene from the end of National Treasure: Could it really be that simple? I digress.

So I decided to run the tutorials flights first using the instructions from the site and got all set up on the first flight hit Run and well nothing seemed to happen. Probably should of read the manual first because it appeared I hadn't installed FSUIPC. A quick and install and set up again and boom we were off and ran both flights without so much as a bug or issue with RC, maybe some dodgy flying but thats to be expected.

It is definite learning curve, you can't "take it easy" like with FSX instructions, if you don't do the instruction straight away expect a telling off. The quality of instructions and level of detail makes FSX default ATC seem even more crude once you start to use it

This can make it feel more stressful but with far less pointless vectors and a much smaller text box on approach it certainly declutters the experience and so far I've never had the AI come dangerously close on approach. The voices are a little more stop start than default but after a while you used to it and its not too bad really. I won't go into great detail about the program because I’m still getting used to it and will dive into the complicated stuff further along. So after finishing the first two tutorials I decided to get some experience just flying with it freely. I recently flew out of Shannon using a SID and that was pretty straight forward. I'm about to start practising using STARS so that'll be fun.

I've had one or two issues, I was on approach once and seemed to be forgotten about, but I did have to pause during approach for some reason so maybe that spooked the game but solved the issue by declaring minimum fuel and getting vectors again.

The co pilot can fly and obey instructions but I've found on more sophisticated aircraft that having a heading hold button and heading change bug and flight level change buttons and altitude hold button that poor Otto can't seam to work it out. I also use a Logitech flight panel and perhaps that causes some confusion too. One complaint I would have, albeit a small one is it would be nice to see what control centre I was under in the box, but I guess it keeps it minimal and isn't a big deal. AI aircraft can sometimes start to cross the runway whilst you’re already on take off roll and this is frustrating

Some features I like so far include that I was once given taxi instructions and I was told to follow an aircraft just ahead, that was a nice touch. You don't get taxi instructions usually and no progressive taxi, sometimes I know the path to the runway but if I don't I normally use the follow me feature of GSX. The ability to hand radio comms to the co-pilot is probably my favourite feature, sometimes the workload can pile up and this definitely helps to reduce it and the ability to come away from the computer for some time and keep flying certainly makes long haul flights when there isn't much to do other than watch the clouds go feel much shorter. Having a lot less traffic warnings and not having to respond is great. At 50NM from the field with the co pilot on comms you automatically tune to the destination airports ATIS and then return to ATC, with the most likely runway appearing in the box along with the runway heading and ILS frequency if applicable. It doesn't seem to put a lot of strain on my computer either compared to say another add ons I use with a separate program, Active Sky Next and some scenery add ons. Being given wind information from the tower too on final is great. Some very neat features.

Finally I must say after a difficult start with some issues that I have grown to love this software and it adds a new level of realism and ease of use, improving the whole of the home flight sim system. I've just completed a 12hr40 minute flight from KLAX to ZBAA in a China Airlines 777-300er and the system worked perfectly from start to finish. I am certainly looking forward to delving deeper and learning even more about what this great program can do.

Thinking of buying? Do it and you won't be disappointed. Don’t be put off by its age and most issues can be pretty easily solved with some troubleshooting.

Happy Flying

• Upvote 3

Great post! Glad you're enjoying RC4. Reading the manual is a must to get the best out of the program. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Its true, RC4 is timeless and relevant ATC for even P3Dv4. As long as FSUIPC and MakeRunways are available RC4 will work.   

• Like 1

Yeah, I have to agree.  I have tried a couple of the newer atc programs, and while I like their potential, I find I run into snags and my impatience makes me load up RC4 almost every time.  It is just so reliable and never causes me grief.  I have used it for over 10 years; no complaints

Bruce

• Like 1

Bruce Wood

Yes, agree, although I had recently bought PF3, it has troubles interpreting flight plans that RC4 does not, especially with inbound vectoring to the outer marker.  PF3 support people try to tell me its my fault for having a poor flight plan but RC4 has no issues, so you got to wonder where the problem really lies.  Still using RC4 mainly.

However, I really want punch Bill Stevens from FSDO in the head...

spacer.png

I have recently found success using PF3!  As of this past week or so.  I have been creating flight plans with the default flight planner in P3D V4.2 with success.  For whatever reason, when I used FSTramp, it would not read them. :(  I run PF3 via a 2nd networked computer and all seems fine now.  I just have to see what FSTramp does differently.

Bruce

Bruce Wood