Sign in to follow this  
pred02

Memory upgrade for P3D4

Hi,

I am finally thinking of upgrading to P3D V4 from FSX regular.

My current specifications are below:

Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1 overclocked to 4.8

8GB RAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)

EVGA GEFORCE GTX770 PCIE 316.69 316.69 2GB GDDR5 DP HDMI DVI 7010MHZ WITH ACX COOLER

Windows 7 64-bit

850 EVO 1-gb SD drive

I am thinking of adding another 8GB of RAM to total of 16 GB. Is this a worthwhile upgrade, is it worth while upgrading to 32GB or should I consider upgrading my rig all together?

Thanks

You CPU is fine. I would add 8gb more ram for a total for 16gb and upgrade your graphics card. Go for a GTX 1080 or 1080ti if you can swing it. 

• Upvote 1

Tim Curtis

MSFS2020, i7-9900k 5.0Ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080, 48" LG OLED CX

My 4790K is also running at 4.8 GHz and I have 16GB of DDR3 2400 running at 2600 on Win 7 Home 64 and Sammy 850 500GB.  I just did a test flight over the S.F Bay area using ORBX NorCal and Alabeo Ovation (high res textures) and GTN 750.  Of course, everybody's O.S. and flightsim are configured differently, but my system using P3Dv4 (I've not upgraded to 4.1 yet) pulled a little over 6.5 GB of system memory during the 20 minute flight north from Candlestick.

53 minutes ago, Taver said:

Go for a GTX 1080 or 1080ti if you can swing it. 

This!  I upgraded from a GTX 970 last month and P3Dv4 is much happier with my new 1080.  Sim runs smoother and I have more eye candy now.  P3D definitely makes better use of a more powerful GPU than FSX.

HTH,

Greg