Sign in to follow this  
AOB

Big Bear Trees

Those trees ..... anyone else notice they are  2D like cardboard cut outs? The colours are good though.

2 hours ago, AOB said:

Those trees ..... anyone else notice they are  2D like cardboard cut outs? The colours are good though.

It's the Terra Flora trees.

I'm waiting DTG starts improving the terrain to see what they will do to the trees. 

Hi rjfry. Are you saying they are better in your P3Dv4 than FSW? I think that in Big Bear scenery they remind me of the trees and buildings in Virtual Sailor from 1999.

23 hours ago, AOB said:

Hi rjfry. Are you saying they are better in your P3Dv4 than FSW? I think that in Big Bear scenery they remind me of the trees and buildings in Virtual Sailor from 1999.

Thats very harsh. The artwork in the TerraFlora trees is actually pretty good, especially across the seasons. However the tech is ancient and badly needs updating. I've mentioned it befiore but MS Flight 3D trees with PBR would be the way forward instead of trying to shoehorn some form of mocked up SpeedTree like system which will just kill performance.

Did not mean to be harsh. The colours are great, they are just too 2d for me. 

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:55 PM, AOB said:

Play the video on the page, it shows that the trees are country specific, I would say they are better than ORBX in P3Dv4 as I have both and in my neck of the woods, the UK they look better.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Well, I think the more they modernize the simulator, the more legacy scenery stuff will need to be changed. 2D trees and box autogen are the things I hate the most. Why implement PBR in the scenery and keep those old and ungly autogen objects?

But I understand they have a small staff working on FSW right now. I would be happy if they fixed the colors and brightness of the sim and got rid of the blurry textures. The rest of scenery improvements I can wait.

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

Play the video on the page, it shows that the trees are country specific, I would say they are better than ORBX in P3Dv4 as I have both and in my neck of the woods, the UK they look better.

Early in the video when they were rotating the view at altitude, the large patches of trees looked quite nice.

Just out of curiosity I flew in my other simulator this morning Aerofly FS2. I noticed that from above they too have the 2d cardboard effect in their trees. Maybe all simulators are similar? Sort of surprising given it is 2017 and these are new products.

16 hours ago, AOB said:

Just out of curiosity I flew in my other simulator this morning Aerofly FS2. I noticed that from above they too have the 2d cardboard effect in their trees. Maybe all simulators are similar? Sort of surprising given it is 2017 and these are new products.

Yeah, all simulators have 2D trees. P3D has the speed trees as an option, but they look really bad from the air and have a very low density (you will see big holes with no autogen trees). 

I really hope DTG will take a look on the scenery in general (including trees, autogen and scenery objects).

When they are in a fully functioning sim, at ground level the 2D trees will rotate toward the viewer so that you always see them in profile. You never see that they are cross-shaped until you are directly above them. Anyway I'm sure all of the current autogen and vector scenery in FSW are merely placeholder objects, waiting until the FSW Scenery SDK is released.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys. Always learning something. I honestly thought it was just this sim at first.