Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

4.1 release notes

2 hours ago, Sethos1988 said:

Unless I missed it, I see no fixes for the terrain rendering when it includes any sort of ortho? Because right now, most ortho whether it's full ortho scenery, part of a package or otherwise, is just a big blurry and smudged mess with almost no real detail. It's especially a shame once you've installed a nice OrbX airport that has mountains nearby where they used ortho textures, but it barely loads and just looks awful. 

Yes very disappointed there is no improvement in this area.  Flying in or out of Pacsim KSLC with the photo secenery they use is a blurry mess.  I figured terrain and texture loading would be a priority along with AA and dynamic lighting improvements.  Oh well maybe next update

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

5 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

But we're talking V4 specifically. 

And thank you OzWhitey but I can't make any judgement from screenshots that small. Thank you for indulging me though. 

Just to make you happy - a 100% crop from the above pic, hopefully photobucket wont downsize (shouldnt).

To me, road in top left - which is a long way away - look plenty sharp. An this is not the sharpest photoscenery I've made, it was just a random test shot when I was trying out the pilot's mesh for the first time. Detail on the far hills looks plenty sharp too, remember we're pixel peeping now. 

Tusquitee is a nice GA strip, btw. As you can tell, i kinda like the smoky mountains.

Tusquitee%20100%20percent_zpsyrts22gj.jp

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Then let me ask why LM's Rob McCarthy acknowledges "We are currently investigating this issue".

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167723#p167723

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I'm already seeing the distinct LOD borders in that shot;

c8gKggk.jpg

And you're even showing off this effect in some photoscenery that has a repeating pattern with lots of noise underneath in terms of trees, so the smudge will be even less visible. You can already see beyond the marked spot that the level of detail has taken a nosedive on the rest of the photoscenery. Now add that to some terrain with subtle details, to terrain that is further off into the distant like a mountain and then you'll see how jarring it is. It's incredibly visible in OrbX's payware airports located near mountains, as you can see mpw8679 posted above. My nemesis is Jackson Hole. 

It's both jarring because V4 fixed a lot of the terrain rendering, meaning the smaller texture based stuff still looks very crisp compared to what it was in FSX and P3Dv3 and earlier. But also because something seemed to happen in V4 that made photoscenery render with less detail in some cases and sometimes slower. I've read multiple threads here, on the official forum and on another developer forum, so I know there is an issue but now how widespread it is, thus I was hoping for something in 4.1. But it seems like a lot of common complain issues are AWOL in 4.1, so hopefully it's something to be addressed down the road. 

Guess I'll just have to wait and see. 

EDIT: Thank you pmb. That's one of the handful of threads on the matter.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I don't intend to download content... Just the client.

So that would mean, I do not get the rain effect on those basic aircrafts.

the Q. is,  Am I completely not bringing in the new rain drops feature if aircraft add on vendors give us an update if I only update the client?

Except for this raindrop effect I could skip this update for now.  I'll wait for the next one. Until any new addons I purchase insists I have the latest client.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

1 minute ago, Manny said:

I don't intend to download content... Just the client.

So that would mean, I do not get the rain effect on those basic aircrafts.

the Q. is,  Am I completely not bringing in the new rain drops feature if aircraft add on vendors give us an update if I only update the client?

If you don't update the content you don't get the updated default aircraft which have been modified to have the VC rain effects.

If later a developer add these effects to a payware aircraft and you have updated your client, you will see the effects as your simulator is ready to display these.

Best Regards,
Simbol

Just now, simbol said:

If you don't update the content you don't get the updated default aircraft which have been modified to have the VC rain effects.

If later a developer add these effects to a payware aircraft and you have updated your client, you will see the effects as your simulator is ready to display these.

Best Regards,
Simbol

Thank you. Simbol. 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I see that with the optimize parts fix, the xtreme Learjet’s VC renders properly.

Which (kind of) addons need to be re-installed if we update content?

Was really hoping for major Dynamic Lighting improvement. For me this is the weakest part of P3D4.0

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

I'm already seeing the distinct LOD borders in that shot;

c8gKggk.jpg

And you're even showing off this effect in some photoscenery that has a repeating pattern with lots of noise underneath in terms of trees, so the smudge will be even less visible. You can already see beyond the marked spot that the level of detail has taken a nosedive on the rest of the photoscenery. Now add that to some terrain with subtle details, to terrain that is further off into the distant like a mountain and then you'll see how jarring it is. It's incredibly visible in OrbX's payware airports located near mountains, as you can see mpw8679 posted above. My nemesis is Jackson Hole. 

It's both jarring because V4 fixed a lot of the terrain rendering, meaning the smaller texture based stuff still looks very crisp compared to what it was in FSX and P3Dv3 and earlier. But also because something seemed to happen in V4 that made photoscenery render with less detail in some cases and sometimes slower. I've read multiple threads here, on the official forum and on another developer forum, so I know there is an issue but now how widespread it is, thus I was hoping for something in 4.1. But it seems like a lot of common complain issues are AWOL in 4.1, so hopefully it's something to be addressed down the road. 

Guess I'll just have to wait and see. 

EDIT: Thank you pmb. That's one of the handful of threads on the matter.

I can't see it - I think that's a hill. If it's a 'LOD border', it's not something I've ever noticed in flight, when the scenery is moving. If there's a border where things turn from sharp to blurry, why is it not visible on the left where you'd be able to see a change in detail? I think you guys are looking too hard for faults, no way this the "blurry mess" that was claimed. I'm looking at this right now on a high-end graphics monitor, and I can see sharp edges on the roads, including right up the back there. If it's blurring that's the problem, you'd lose the edge definition of the roads, which you don't.

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

VR mode doesn't seem to be working with my Oculus Rift.  I changed the view to both VR modes and neither one of them worked.  Anyone else have this problem?

3 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I can't see it - I think that's a hill. If it's a 'LOD border', it's not something I've ever noticed in flight, when the scenery is moving. If there's a border where things turn from sharp to blurry, why is it not visible on the left where you'd be able to see a change in detail? I think you guys are looking too hard for faults, no way this the "blurry mess" that was claimed. I'm looking at this right now on a high-end graphics monitor, and I can see sharp edges on the roads, including right up the back there. If it's blurring that's the problem, you'd lose the edge definition of the roads, which you don't.

Well, if you're happy with that, all the more power to you.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

19 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I can't see it - I think that's a hill.

It is clearly visible. A straight diagonal line that seperates sharper textures in the foreground from slightly more blurred in the background.

11 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

Well, if you're happy with that, all the more power to you.

I just uploaded three images at your request. First its 'wrong image', then it's 'too small', then when I upload a third one - remember I only did this at your request, yeah thanks - you're being condescending.

Glad I wasted my time providing you with the data you asked for. Enjoy flying without photoscenery.

Oz

4 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I just uploaded three images at your request. First its 'wrong image', then it's 'too small', then when I upload a third one - remember I only did this at your request, yeah thanks - you're being condescending.

Glad I wasted my time providing you with the data you asked for. Enjoy flying without photoscenery.

Yes, you proved that yours is smudged too, what's your point? You've obviously flown over nothing but photoscenery and become 'blind' to its problems. Someone even linked a thread where they clearly stated they are investigating the issue. No need to be so sensitive. I thanked you for including your images.

• Upvote 1