Sign in to follow this  
Mroberts95

PMDG and Dynamic Lighting

Hey guys,

It looks like we are not getting a dynamic lighting update this time around. It sucks for those who cant fly at night because of this. Hopefully in 4.2 we might see something.

Until then use lower AA settings if you can.

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

8 minutes ago, akabam said:

Hey guys,

It looks like we are not getting a dynamic lighting update this time around. It sucks for those who cant fly at night because of this. Hopefully in 4.2 we might see something.

Until then use lower AA settings if you can.

I'm running 8xMSAA on a 1440p screen at SFO at night with 25 fps in VC view with 60+ external.

• Upvote 3

I run 30hz on 4k at 30fps and its fine for me on 4xMSAA

Some people cant even use it though

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

3 minutes ago, akabam said:

Some people cant even use it though

True, it seems to depend system to system.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Milton Waddams said:

True, it seems to depend system to system.

Well people turn up every setting and expect things to be fine.

• Upvote 5

Mark Roberts 

12 minutes ago, akabam said:

Well people turn up every setting and expect things to be fine.

Finally, someone said it! People don't seem to realize that P3D with every slider full right will bring even a 1080ti to its knees pretty quickly.

• Upvote 3

This isn’t to do with slider position... GPU usage during daytime in my scenario is 60% then at night it’s 100% because of dynamic lights, turn off dynamic lights and gpu usage returns to 60% but you have no landing lights because of a decision by third parties not to include them... LM included legacy lights for their own aircraft.

this isn’t an FPS and slider decision matrix, it’s an overwhelming additional variation of GPU usage when using 4K along with pmdg and dynamic lights.

it can be solved by either LM or PMDG who could solve this as a third party by providing the legacy lighting they have in v3 with same way LM do with their own internal aircraft.

Jonathon Ryan’s

• Upvote 5

33 minutes ago, rdtv91 said:

This isn’t to do with slider position... GPU usage during daytime in my scenario is 60% then at night it’s 100% because of dynamic lights, turn off dynamic lights and gpu usage returns to 60% but you have no landing lights because of a decision by third parties not to include them... LM included legacy lights for their own aircraft.

this isn’t an FPS and slider decision matrix, it’s an overwhelming additional variation of GPU usage when using 4K along with pmdg and dynamic lights.

it can be solved by either LM or PMDG who could solve this as a third party by providing the legacy lighting they have in v3 with same way LM do with their own internal aircraft.

Jonathon Ryan’s

Good luck. I know PMDG already said they won't do legacy lighting so it will probably be a 4.1.x update or in the next big one for 4.2.

• Upvote 1

Mark Roberts 

5 hours ago, rdtv91 said:

Jonathon Ryan’s

100% agree with you

50 minutes ago, bbain1187 said:

Well, after 6 years of flying the NGX and paying for it twice, it looks like it's time for me to put it in the hangar indefinitely unless PMDG reverses course on their stubborn attitude towards legacy lights. Especially with the FSLabs A320 coming out for V4. It's been a fun ride...

I might be +1 here. 

• Upvote 1

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

DL performance is not fixed in 4.1 by LM. No progression. Now it would be time that we get a legacy lights option for our PMDG aircrafts. 

• Upvote 3

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I run Dynamic Lightning on and untick " Landing-lights illimunate ground" its like the old FSX  legacy lights, without any fps hit 

think it looks similar to the old FSX lights

Just tested it with PMDG 777 in AS EDDF which has lots of DL appron lights. Made no difference in my setup. FPS remain low with DL on and "landing lights illuminate ground" either ticked or unticked. Tested with 4x SSAA as MSAA has much less impact.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I only got v4 last night and not even tried night with DL yet but, here is what I am going to do.

Make a Profile named "Night"

Turn AA Down 

Turn Shadows OFF for clouds etc just leave VC.

Turn Auto gen distance down, its night if you set it up as per a good PTA you see very little at night anyway.

Autogen Trees turn down to low, when do you see trees at night time from 10,000ft + ?

Auto Gen building down also.

Textures don't have to be 7cm, Cannot see field textures at night.

That's my plan anyway!

Day time you don't need DL

So have two profiles "Day" and "night"

• Upvote 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

51 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Autogen Trees turn down to low, when do you see trees at night time from 10,000ft + ?

I agree with your two-profile concept and I have it as well - BUT - remember that ORBX lights depend on Autogen slider. The more you turn this down the less lights you will see at night.

RE: DL + PMDG + 4.1 - <sigh> - now the excuse will be, "wait for 4.2" and then we will wait for 5.0 - but Virtual Reality was a very important, pressing issue to solve ... I'm too tired to even sigh.

• Upvote 1

Terblanche Jordaan