Sign in to follow this  
Mroberts95

PMDG and Dynamic Lighting

In all honesty we shouldn't need to have 2 profiles - and what happens at sunrise and sunset - as the issue can be easily remedied by PMDG by adding back legacy lights so when you untick Dynamic Lights you still have landing lights! Grr...

What is really winding me up is the fact that all default aircraft come like this so you can use Dynamic Lighting 'if you want' as it's a feature, not a necessity. Unfortunately PMDG is forcing it upon us as customers as a necessity or you can't fly at night which is really limiting.

I fly with autopen on 'Dense' with autopen draw distance medium and texture res at 30cm (tried 1m and not much difference GPU wise)... My 980TI during daytime situations is sat around 60% even with full overcast it'll maybe peak at 65/70 at the worst. At night it's sat at 100% the minute you turn on the landing lights in the NGX... It's not workable.

Jonathon Ryans

• Upvote 1

My work round to the DL problem is, when Taxing have all the the external lights off apart from the Taxi light and when entering the runway switch Taxi light off and just switch on single nose wheel landing light. I find I can maintain good performance this way. Strobes and logo do not affect performance for me. I never use the RWY Turn Off Lights or Wing Lights as this kills performance.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rdtv91 said:

In all honesty we shouldn't need to have 2 profiles - and what happens at sunrise and sunset - as the issue can be easily remedied by PMDG by adding back legacy lights so when you untick Dynamic Lights you still have landing lights! Grr...

What is really winding me up is the fact that all default aircraft come like this so you can use Dynamic Lighting 'if you want' as it's a feature, not a necessity. Unfortunately PMDG is forcing it upon us as customers as a necessity or you can't fly at night which is really limiting.

I fly with autopen on 'Dense' with autopen draw distance medium and texture res at 30cm (tried 1m and not much difference GPU wise)... My 980TI during daytime situations is sat around 60% even with full overcast it'll maybe peak at 65/70 at the worst. At night it's sat at 100% the minute you turn on the landing lights in the NGX... It's not workable.

Jonathon Ryans

Unfortunately I think we will have to wait for next update since PMDG said they wont put back in legacy lighting.

FSLABS for their A320 are doing the same thing so it will have to be optimized on P3D Side

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

1 hour ago, akabam said:

Unfortunately I think we will have to wait for next update since PMDG said they wont put back in legacy lighting.

FSLABS for their A320 are doing the same thing so it will have to be optimized on P3D Side

Shame as thats really quite counterproductive of them, I'm going to open communication with lefteris at FSL about this as hes been really open before to any issues like this.

PMDG should really have it on their product page that it is a requirement to use dynamic lights within P3D V4 otherwise you can't fly at night... poor show considering we've paid fsx licenses then p3d licenses and because a choice PMDG have made I'm unable to fly at night (Yes PMDG as it's their 'choice' not to include legacy lighting which is more than reasonable considering the license costs...)

Jonathon Ryans

• Upvote 3

Followed this thread with interest, and out of curiosity, decided to try a night flight with the 737-600, and I had no problems seeing the Rwy 05L at UK2000's EGCC lit up. Likewise, taxi-ing from Gate to Rwy05L I could see the nose-wheel light illuminating the taxi-way.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/10/12/PMDG737NightLightingb8099.jpg

8 hours ago, vc10man said:

decided to try a night flight with the 737-600

Jip, the 600/700 have legacy lights while the rest of the fleet have DL ... strange, but true.

• Upvote 1

Terblanche Jordaan

14 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

Jip, the 600/700 have legacy lights while the rest of the fleet have DL ... strange, but true.

Well, well, certainly learned something there. Will try the same with an -800 tonight. Odd that they'd have it for the 600/700 and not others.

21 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I only got v4 last night and not even tried night with DL yet but, here is what I am going to do.

Make a Profile named "Night"

Turn AA Down 

Turn Shadows OFF for clouds etc just leave VC.

Turn Auto gen distance down, its night if you set it up as per a good PTA you see very little at night anyway.

Autogen Trees turn down to low, when do you see trees at night time from 10,000ft + ?

Auto Gen building down also.

Textures don't have to be 7cm, Cannot see field textures at night.

That's my plan anyway!

Day time you don't need DL

So have two profiles "Day" and "night"

Sigh, nothing you're doing there is necessary. All you need to do to have acceptable performance is to turn down AA to MSAA or lower. I've tested with EVERY SETTING TURNED DOWN. IT DOES NOT MATTER.

• Upvote 1

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

6 minutes ago, Ioan92 said:

Sigh, nothing you're doing there is necessary. All you need to do to have acceptable performance is to turn down AA to MSAA or lower. I've tested with EVERY SETTING TURNED DOWN. IT DOES NOT MATTER.

OK Thanks for the HU.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

5 hours ago, Ioan92 said:

That doesn't even matter as in 4K native resolution and no AA what so ever I am still sat at 60% GPU usage during daytime and night time until I click on landing and turnoff lights (as per SOP) and bang GPU fires unto 100% and lags until I turn off a few lights... It's hopeless, legacy lights are really needed and should be included to be fair as dynamic lights is sold as an 'option' by P3D, not a necessity.

Since PMDG are using the P3D SDK then they should be really providing legacy fallback options, it's best practice really for any software to have a spectrum of compatibility based on user options.

Jonathon Ryans

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, rdtv91 said:

That doesn't even matter as in 4K native resolution and no AA what so ever I am still sat at 60% GPU usage during daytime and night time until I click on landing and turnoff lights (as per SOP) and bang GPU fires unto 100% and lags until I turn off a few lights... It's hopeless, legacy lights are really needed and should be included to be fair as dynamic lights is sold as an 'option' by P3D, not a necessity.

Since PMDG are using the P3D SDK then they should be really providing legacy fallback options, it's best practice really for any software to have a spectrum of compatibility based on user options.

Jonathon Ryans

I'm truly amazed how something like this can pass QA, to be entirely honest with you.

• Upvote 3

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

3 hours ago, Ioan92 said:

I'm truly amazed how something like this can pass QA, to be entirely honest with you.

We're embracing the future of where the sim is going, and we aren't the only ones, honestly. There will be teething issues. Calling into question the processes of QA is rather hyperbolic.

• Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers

21 hours ago, mikeymike said:

Perhaps its.time to move to xplane.11

Bye

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

On 10/13/2017 at 9:12 AM, scandinavian13 said:

We're embracing the future of where the sim is going, and we aren't the only ones, honestly. There will be teething issues. Calling into question the processes of QA is rather hyperbolic.

Is there a comprehensive pinned topic about this DL "issue" ?  I am contemplating a move to v4 and all of this definitely put a hold on my plan.  As you fly the plane, you can't just choose to only fly during day time.  I have read a thread from Robert that the add on airport scenery has to be built with V4 SDK otherwise DL will suffer.  However, in one of the above post the airport is a new (?) EDDF Pro from AS which is built for V4, yet the issue with DL performance is still there? So what's the bottom line, if the PMDG planes are used only with true V4 airports then they are fine, otherwise they are not in term of performance, or that statement is not true?

• Upvote 1

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020