Sign in to follow this  
Mroberts95

PMDG and Dynamic Lighting

47 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

Is there a comprehensive pinned topic about this DL "issue" ?  I am contemplating a move to v4 and all of this definitely put a hold on my plan.  As you fly the plane, you can't just choose to only fly during day time.  I have read a thread from Robert that the add on airport scenery has to be built with V4 SDK otherwise DL will suffer.  However, in one of the above post the airport is a new (?) EDDF Pro from AS which is built for V4, yet the issue with DL performance is still there? So what's the bottom line, if the PMDG planes are used only with true V4 airports then they are fine, otherwise they are not in term of performance, or that statement is not true?

You're asking us to provide a pinned statement about something that is entirely dependent on your own hardware, and what you're putting into the sim. Performance in general is going to depend on what you put into the sim, and how optimized those items are. We could optimize our aircraft to the point of sacrificing functionality, and the sim could still be brought to its knees because you opted to install a performance hog of an airport that uses massive textures for everything, objects everywhere, and a fully modeled underground baggage handling station that you'll never look at. Similarly, if you have a graphics card in the 10xx range, you may be fine; while a 9xx range may not be; though a 980 could still pull it off. There are waaaaaay too many factors for us to do what you're asking.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

48 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

Is there a comprehensive pinned topic about this DL "issue" ?  I am contemplating a move to v4 and all of this definitely put a hold on my plan.  As you fly the plane, you can't just choose to only fly during day time.  I have read a thread from Robert that the add on airport scenery has to be built with V4 SDK otherwise DL will suffer.  However, in one of the above post the airport is a new (?) EDDF Pro from AS which is built for V4, yet the issue with DL performance is still there? So what's the bottom line, if the PMDG planes are used only with true V4 airports then they are fine, otherwise they are not in term of performance, or that statement is not true?

I was having issues with DL also and turn it off. After reading a lto i now made some compromises on P3D settings (especially in AA, moved to 8xMSAA area) and DL marginally affect my FPS (1-2 FPS lost). 

As with almost everything in simming , one has to cross fingers, hope and try...

Maybe you have to take a leap of faith and fight with the monster :)

• Upvote 1

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Elias Stassinos - Author of PTTBuddy - Automatic volume control while you fly / play /stream
My FS Photos - My MSFS Settings - i7-8700K / 32GB RAM / Gigabyte 3070 8GB OC / 1440p

5 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

You're asking us to provide a pinned statement about something that is entirely dependent on your own hardware, and what you're putting into the sim. Performance in general is going to depend on what you put into the sim, and how optimized those items are. We could optimize our aircraft to the point of sacrificing functionality, and the sim could still be brought to its knees because you opted to install a performance hog of an airport that uses massive textures for everything, objects everywhere, and a fully modeled underground baggage handling station that you'll never look at. Similarly, if you have a graphics card in the 10xx range, you may be fine; while a 9xx range may not be; though a 980 could still pull it off. There are waaaaaay too many factors for us to do what you're asking.

I am just trying to understand what this DL issue and PMDG products in V4 is.  I am not looking to run with airport scenery with the bells and whistles  and things I will never look at.  I understand that only v4 compliant add-ons should be admitted into the sim.  However, if the problem is that the lights on the aircraft is not working because DL is turned off then it's a big turn-off.  From what I gather the huge cost in performance with PMDG and DL is only when folks try to crank up AA settings correct?  Iow, using MSAA at reasonable setting and DL is acceptable? 

• Upvote 1

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

3 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

Iow, using MSAA at reasonable setting and DL is acceptable? 

It is on my system at least. 

• Upvote 2

Can't we just have the old lights back?

• Upvote 1

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Hi guy's, I would just like to share my experience with DL, I was having a hell of a time with DL stutter slide show using 4 X SGSS in NI and 4 MSAA in p3dv4.1 dropped  NI to 8 x Supersampling and P3dv4.1 to 8 x msaa and what a difference it made DL forever, stutters in heavy cloud cover using AS16 has improved ten fold with crisp textures pretty much the same and holding a constant 29.8fps, PMDG 777 with all lights on, my rig is very basic, an MSI GT72 Dominator laptop GTX970M with a 24 inch Samsung curved monitor 144hz, I'm happy.

Cheers Rod.

On 10/25/2017 at 2:41 PM, doublebubble said:

DL stutter slide show using 4 X SGSS in NI

So what you are saying is that by not using 4xSGSS and switch to 8 SS in NI and 8 MSAA in 4.1 solved your problem?

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:12 PM, Nyxx said:

I only got v4 last night and not even tried night with DL yet but, here is what I am going to do.

Make a Profile named "Night"

Turn AA Down 

Turn Shadows OFF for clouds etc just leave VC.

Turn Auto gen distance down, its night if you set it up as per a good PTA you see very little at night anyway.

Autogen Trees turn down to low, when do you see trees at night time from 10,000ft + ?

Auto Gen building down also.

Textures don't have to be 7cm, Cannot see field textures at night.

That's my plan anyway!

Day time you don't need DL

So have two profiles "Day" and "night"

That is a great idea, why didn't I think of that!  Can you confirm with those settings low your GPU usage isn't maxed out with DL on at night?

Thomas Derbyshire

The main issue I have with this is the ORBX night lighting in P3D using anything less than 4 x SSAA is a flickering/shimmering mess (particularly as you look out to the horizon) and it really breaks the immersion factor, couple this with the DL performance penalty in the NGX and its say goodnight.  Dropping to 8 X MSAA or less cures the performance issue with DL but all that flickering is too much for me to bear!!  It really looks terrible.  Coming from FSX using the DX10 Fixer I used to run at 4 x SGSS and this flickering issue was non existent, albeit I didn't have DL functionality!

I've been watching some Chewwy streams recently and sometimes he gets really excited about the view at night but all I see is a flickering mess and I'm screaming "man that looks terrible open your eyes!"  :)

I'm running a i7 4790k with a 1070.

Thomas Derbyshire

31 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

That is a great idea, why didn't I think of that!  Can you confirm with those settings low your GPU usage isn't maxed out with DL on at night?

I can because I kick every other process of core 0 &1

ASv4/ASCA for one one example. (well that's 2 but you know what i mean) 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I can because I kick every other process of core 0 &1

ASv4/ASCA for one one example. (well that's 2 but you know what i mean) 

What app do you use for that?

Thomas Derbyshire

3 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

What app do you use for that?

Just task manager

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

On 10/25/2017 at 2:41 PM, doublebubble said:

Hi guy's, I would just like to share my experience with DL, I was having a hell of a time with DL stutter slide show using 4 X SGSS in NI and 4 MSAA in p3dv4.1 dropped  NI to 8 x Supersampling and P3dv4.1 to 8 x msaa and what a difference it made DL forever, stutters in heavy cloud cover using AS16 has improved ten fold with crisp textures pretty much the same and holding a constant 29.8fps, PMDG 777 with all lights on, my rig is very basic, an MSI GT72 Dominator laptop GTX970M with a 24 inch Samsung curved monitor 144hz, I'm happy.

Cheers Rod.

I can't even find an 8x supersampling setting in NI. Could you type it out here using the exact syntax as it appears in NI.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

On 10/30/2017 at 7:17 PM, Nyxx said:

Just task manager

You mith want to add that you switched the graph to logical CPUs :)

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

2 hours ago, somiller said:

I can't even find an 8x supersampling setting in NI. Could you type it out here using the exact syntax as it appears in NI.

I guess he means in the Transparency Supersampling drop down list.

Don't hold your breath on this one. The only NI AA setting that has ever worked in P3D is sparse grid transparency supersampling.

I just tried NI 8x supersampling plus 8x MSAA in P3D and it does nothing that I can see. P3D just runs with typical 8x MSAA image quality, so no wonder the frame rate goes up compared to SGTSS.

Loved to be proved wrong though.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.