Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Pics of the Cosford show

Thanks for sharing!  I may go to CopperState later this month in Casa Grande, AZ.  It's a big airshow with aircraft mfrs. ranging from ultralights, to light sport, to general aviation.

A friend of mine there, an LSA instructor, crashed landed his Quicksilver a few years ago when he had an engine go out on him.  He picked Lake Pleasant highway to land on, went off the side of the road and his wing hit an obstruction and crumpled.  He walked away unharmed, one advantage with dope and fabric aircraft like the Quicksilver is they crumple, like a car's crumple zones, absorbing an otherwise fatal impact.  I don't know if he was able to rebuild his aircraft, at the time he said it was a total loss.  I almost took lessons in it but I had a premonition from the way the engine sounded to me.  It crashed less than a year after he offered me free lessons.

I can tell a healthy engine, like in the used car I bought a month ago, by the way it sounds.  A good engine has a certain harmonic to it, I used to help a friend build engines when I was in my teens, we restored an old Dune Buggy to operating condition together.  He played a terrible trick on me, he zapped me with the alternator....  We were both able to laugh about it, but ouch!

John

• Upvote 1

Hi John, I attended an EAA fly in at CopperState some years back, great fun and a short hop from San Diego!

Might consider heading out their and seeing the airshow, thanks for the post!

Cheers

Martin

Photo #3 - at the ORBx stand (below the Comet's nose); I was talking to Steve W(aite) at the time.

Photo #11 - top left; I am the guy wearing a black 24MX jacket and beige trousers :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

15 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I can see myself in two of those photos, Alan :smile:

I was in that queue waiting to get in.

16 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I can see myself in two of those photos, Alan :smile:

I can see myself in the queue! :laugh: My beloved red cashmere scarf is a dead giveaway.:blush:

My wife said "of course it's you....you are always looking at your phone!" :huh:

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

Photo #3 - at the ORBx stand (below the Comet's nose); I was talking to Steve W(aite) at the time.

Photo #11 - top left; I am the guy wearing a black 24MX jacket and beige trousers :smile:

You were stood in that queue just ahead of the Portuguese couple who had flown in specially for this. I joined them later after getting a bacon butty!

I was right at the front of the queue, Rick. It's become a bit of a tradition :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

And I’m there too next to Pete Dowson. Nice to see some familiar faces and a new one - Rick. Hope you got home before 9pm!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

And I’m there too next to Pete Dowson. Nice to see some familiar faces and a new one - Rick. Hope you got home before 9pm!

Hi Ray. Good to meet you and Pete at last.

Wouldn't you believe it, train delays in that rain, so did not make it home till after 10pm. Ah, well, there for the love of flightsims.............we travel!

58 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Hi Ray. Good to meet you and Pete at last.

Wouldn't you believe it, train delays in that rain, so did not make it home till after 10pm. Ah, well, there for the love of flightsims.............we travel!

Sorry to hear that Rick. At least it’s only once a year.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

59 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Sorry to hear that Rick. At least it’s only once a year.

Yeah, that's the way I philosophically looked at it. Besides, I was in a warm Virgin Trains lounge at Wolverhampton rather than being stuck on a deserted open platform like Cosford. My own fault really as I did not plan the return train earlier and VT wanted to buy a whole new single ticket costing an arm 'n leg. I told them, 'keep it'!

Great show nevertheless and to put faces to names.

I think Saturday nights are the worst to travel on the railways. Maintenance often take priority. But it's the quietest night to travel on the roads. We had to divert as the M54 access was closed but the detour wasn't too bad.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather